Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Hi folks.

I’m starting out fresh with a silly AWD Element, and I’d like to compile a decent basics list. I’ve read some in some articles, but would like to run this by y’all as well.

I’m going to be starting on USFS and BLM roads, and it’ll just be my dog and I till I find some folks to go with. I’ll be tent camping or car camping (my buddy has a sleeping platform for me), and I have all the regular camping gear.

Here’s what I’m thinking:
- First Aid / Trauma kit
- fire extinguisher
- Hi-Lift
- ViAir portable compressor
- Rapid tire deflator
- Traction boards
- 2.5-5 gallon jerry can
- water cans
- traction boards

I have to acquire these items, and I don’t want to wait to get a roof rack before going out. I have the two factory crossbars on the roof and was thinking about using a cargo net and bungees to mount the jerry can up there.

I’m installing larger tires, smaller wheels, a proper 2” lift kit, and doing a suspension rebuild before going out.

Think I’m missing anything?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Unless you have mods on your vehicle to accommodate the hi lift jack, I would nix that item. Yes, they can have their place, but they’re heavy and can be extremely dangerous if one does not pay attention while using it. A good bottle jack and base or heavy duty scissors jack would serve you better.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
I do indeed have a hitch but I don’t really want to spend money on a cargo basket for the hitch.

As for the Hi-Lift, I was concerned about that. I’ll nix it for now until I know more. In the meantime, I’ll take my bottle jack and something to widen its base.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi folks.

I’m starting out fresh with a silly AWD Element, and I’d like to compile a decent basics list. I’ve read some in some articles, but would like to run this by y’all as well.

I’m going to be starting on USFS and BLM roads, and it’ll just be my dog and I till I find some folks to go with. I’ll be tent camping or car camping (my buddy has a sleeping platform for me), and I have all the regular camping gear.

Here’s what I’m thinking:
- First Aid / Trauma kit
- fire extinguisher
- Hi-Lift
- Rapid tire deflator
- Traction boards
- 2.5-5 gallon jerry can
- water cans
- traction boards

I have to acquire these items, and I don’t want to wait to get a roof rack before going out. I have the two factory crossbars on the roof and was thinking about using a cargo net and bungees to mount the jerry can up there.

I’m installing larger tires, smaller wheels, a proper 2” lift kit, and doing a suspension rebuild before going out.

Think I’m missing anything?
Very good list. Here in the PNW you are missing two “Required” items on your list. You need either a shovel or an axe and a 1 emergency gallon water container full of water. These are required by the “Interagency Fire Dispatch Team” any time you travel off of a paved road through our public lands. During fire season there are people out there checking for these items along with the fire extinguisher you listed, and issuing citations for those not fallowing the guidelines.

Don’t put Jerrycans on your roof without the proper rack system to secure them in place. That is a lot of live weight up there.

I would think you would be fine with a single 2.5 gallon gas can for spare fuel. I have a thirsty 1989 Bronco with a 20 gallon fuel tank, and I’ve never gotten below 1/4 tank out on the trails. But I also know my range and plan around fuel stops. If I know I’m going to be off grid for 4 or more days driving the whole time I will plan a stop into a town to get fuel and resupply.

Lastly, you have quite a group of very active Overlanders out of Seattle. Check out the Greater Seattle Area Virtual Campfire. Also contact @Ubiety, he is your local Member Representative and might know of others getting ready to roll out. The PDX group is looking to do Section 1 of the WABDR on September 18th, you might be able to jump in with them as well. Contact @KAIONE for more information about the WABDR Trip.

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
If you don't have steel bumpers then a high lift is a waste of money and space. Add a second bottle jack and some wood blocks . A good tire plug kit is invaluable.

Harbor Freight has nice roof basket for $99.00. Well made and a better way to carry your fuel. I bought one this past winter to put on our Forester and carried 15 gallons of gas across Texas during the big freeze. The basket was very sturdy.

150 Lb. Capacity Roof-Mounted Steel Cargo Carrier

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Let's go through the list and maybe add some notes:

- First Aid / Trauma kit

Makes sense to have, I often heard the comment (not here), to only take what you are trained/knowledgeable to use, but since often enough you find people more qualified, but without their equipment, it might make sense to have a well sorted kit.

- fire extinguisher

Definitely a good idea to have. Add water and a reasonably sized shovel to the kit.

- Hi-Lift

Why? There rarely is a need for this if all you do is off-grid camping and it's a dangerous piece of kit. I've never needed one, but I don't go extreme routes. I use a bottle jack with an extension and some attachments:

Definitely.

- Rapid tire deflator

Are you deflating tires that often? I've been fine with a gauge I had that has a deflate button. Takes a few minutes longer, but really hasn't beent an issue.

- Traction boards

Yes, they are great multi-use items. Use them as roll-off blocks when using a jack, level the vehicle, use in low traction situations, bridge holes, use as secondary shovel, look cool, and so on. I have original Maxtrax, since I wanted to spend money once and be done with it. Maybe check this test:

- 2.5-5 gallon jerry can

Do you need it? Are you going far/long enough off grid to need additional fuel? If no, it's just a waste of space and additional weight you don't need. I've never needed extra fuel in the US so far. Sure, you can do routes, where it might make sense, but they are rare.

- water cans

Defintely. I normally use two smaller ones in case I either contaminate one or it leaks. I have yet to find one I actually like ...

- traction boards

Yes, get some more, they are great. ;-) – I have four.

You already mentioned you have typical camping gear, but some hints, maybe there is something in the list that helps you, it's a bit more comprehensive and you might not need any of it:
  • A satellite tracker / SOS device like Spot or Garmin InReach if you go alone
  • Saw, hatchet, machete, ... whatever you need remove branches, small trees from the trail or prepare firewood if fires are allowed
  • Tire patch kit, replacement valve cores and caps
  • Solid tool kit, at least the most common items you might need; I'm not talking about repairs, I'm talking about tightening up a bolt that has rattled lose, or some gaffers/duct tape, blank wire (e.g. to secure something where the bolt has rattled off), JB Weld, etc.
  • Camping toilet, I use a waterless one with bags and chemicals
  • A way to carry trash outside of your vehicle, especially if you use a "bag toilet" ...
  • Lights around your vehicle, don't go fancy, just get some cheap LED lanterns so you get around camp without always having to use headlamp or flashlight, makes camping much more enjoyable, I use USB rechargeable LED pucks that can be set to different color (so I can set them to yellow/orange/red light for better night vision)
  • Way of transporting fresh food, a cooler with some ice is probably good enough, I use a fridge, but it's definitely not even remotely necessary
  • Bear spray, in multiple places
  • A simple shower bag if you stay for more than a single night makes it soooo much more enjoyable, again, doesn't need to be fancy, a black shower bag, or a way of doing a good warm "sponge bath" make all the difference to me; I carry a privacy tent for using the toilet as well as the shower
  • I have a GMRS license (just pay 70 bucks for a 10 year license and read the recommendations/rules) and a radio installed in my car; I normally only use it when going with others, but often enough you meet folks and it can come in handy for weather and possibly even help calls
  • Something against insects, maybe popup mesh tent or something like that, if you go in places where humans are more often, wasps will be helping you set up camp ...
  • A small brush/broom to dust off stuff you put back in the car
  • I carry a recovery strap and a set of soft shackles, doesn't help me if I get stuck alone and don't have a winch, but if somebody comes along and doesn't have it either, they could still potentially help (if you trust them enough to let them help you, I would not let someone I don't know/trust do a dynamic recovery though, but slow and steady helps in many situations)
  • Gloves, work gloves, heat insulating (welding) gloves, etc.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I do indeed have a hitch but I don’t really want to spend money on a cargo basket for the hitch.

As for the Hi-Lift, I was concerned about that. I’ll nix it for now until I know more. In the meantime, I’ll take my bottle jack and something to widen its base.
If you dont want to spend money on a roof basket, you shouldnt spend time putting Jerry Cans on your roof with just bungee and a net. That's a tragedy waiting to happen, as it comes loose from the bungee at highway speeds and crashes through someone else's windshield, breaking thier nose if they are lucky, but also dousing them in gasoline. And hoping the resultant crash doesnt cause a spark.

One man's suggestion: Get the roof basket and do it right, or get the hitch basket, and do it right. Or dont carry loaded Jerry cans

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Is somebody actually using a hitch basket? I thought about it briefly, but it really is suboptimal for the departure angle, so I never considered it again. Personally, if I’m not towing, I don’t carry extra fuel. And if I tow, I carry it in the trailer.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Is somebody actually using a hitch basket? I thought about it briefly, but it really is suboptimal for the departure angle, so I never considered it again. Personally, if I’m not towing, I don’t carry extra fuel. And if I tow, I carry it in the trailer.
Hitch basket IS sub-optimal, I agree. But if one isn't putting it on the roof CORRECTLY, better off a lower center of gravity. Sub optimal solution with a bad departure angle, is all I'm thinking.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Wow, thank you so much, everyone!

@M Rose - Thanks so much for bringing to my attention those required items. I don't think I would ever have discovered that on my own.

@cug - Wow, great list and suggestions.

@ThundahBeagle - I've toyed with the idea of a cheap basket until I can get a Gobi Rack or other rack. 150 lbs isn't great, but it's better than none. Especially for $100.

Here is my revised list. I do have a lot of this, but I went ahead and put stuff here that I might forget or isn't kept with my normal camping gear.

• First Aid/Trauma Kit
  • Satellite communicator
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Air compressor
  • Rapid deflator (maybe)
  • Tire plug kit (on shelf in garage)
  • ≥ 2x Water cans
  • 2-4x Traction boards
  • Roof rack (HF?)
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • 2x4’s as bottle jack platform and surface between jack and car
  • Camping Toilet (waterless with chemicals)
  • Waste bags to carry outside of vehicle
  • Trash bags
  • Replacement valve cores and caps
  • Tools (see packing list)
  • JB Weld
  • Electrical tape
  • Duct tape
  • Bear spray
  • Shower bag
  • Insect repellent
  • Mechanic gloves
  • Recovery strap
As for tools, I've got most of what's listed on the essentials tool list.

What are some common repairs needed on the fly? I would imagine underbody damage and suspension damage. I can't imagine carrying an entire spare parts catalog with me, and I know y'all don't either. But there must be a general rule of thumb?

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Have you defined where you are going and what you intend to do? Are you newer to this?

While gear is cool, there is no reason to go overboard. Common sense and experience will help dictate what you need. For camping, think water, food, and shelter (including proper clothing). As far as getting there, is your vehicle in good condition? What is the condition of the trail on which you will be traveling?

If you are starting out, you may wish to contact a local club or find a partner that is familiar with these skills. Then go out for a weekend or two and experience things before dropping a ton of money on things. These experiences will determine what gear and, more importantly, skills you need to acquire.

Becoming outdoors-savvy, including driving and outfitting a vehicle, is a journey, not a destination. Spend your time and money on skills and adventure first and let those dictate what equipment you bring. For example, if your gear can fit inside your vehicle, do you need a roof rack for your trip? If it cannot fit in your vehicle, is it necessary?

There are too many opinions regarding what people deem necessary to be outdoors. But keep in mind, some are minimalists and can survive with a backpack and others require an RV to be comfortable. Here are some comments on the gear you listed:
  • Your medical training to date will help determine your first aid kit.
  • You may want to wait on going somewhere you can only communicate via satellite until you get some experience under your belt.
  • If you have decent tires and are driving a trail that is reasonable for your vehicle, an air compressor should not be needed.
  • Measure your necessary water based on gallons needed for the trip.
  • Traction boards are similar to the air compressor.
  • While I love axes, consider a saw. They are easier and safer to use in both camp and on the trail.
  • You might not need a jack if the one with the vehicle works. Different jacks need to be considered when the vehicle gets taller and when you are ready for more difficult terrain. (I keep a piece of plywood that fits in the back of my Jeep that can be used for, among other things, a base for the jack in loose terrain.)
  • A toilet may be just a luxury depending on your destination.
  • A shower bag may be much depending on the length of your trip. Wipes may be enough to get you through a few days.
  • A recovery strap is handy but make sure you have proper front and rear tow points to connect it to.
Just one guy's $0.02. :)

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
If you are starting out, you may wish to contact a local club or find a partner that is familiar with these skills. Then go out for a weekend or two and experience things before dropping a ton of money on things. These experiences will determine what gear and, more importantly, skills you need to acquire.
Good suggestion. Although, I have to admit, when we (wife and I) started, we just went out by ourselves. The trails a beginner should taking will generally have light traffic on them or are not problematic, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part. I dislike the company of most people, that's why I prefer being on my own, but I shouldn't project that to others, that's very true.

• You may want to wait on going somewhere you can only communicate via satellite until you get some experience under your belt.
  • If you have decent tires and are driving a trail that is reasonable for your vehicle, an air compressor should not be needed.
  • Measure your necessary water based on gallons needed for the trip.
  • Traction boards are similar to the air compressor.
  • While I love axes, consider a saw. They are easier and safer to use in both camp and on the trail.
  • You might not need a jack if the one with the vehicle works. Different jacks need to be considered when the vehicle gets taller and when you are ready for more difficult terrain. (I keep a piece of plywood that fits in the back of my Jeep that can be used for, among other things, a base for the jack in loose terrain.)
  • A toilet may be just a luxury depending on your destination.
  • A shower bag may be much depending on the length of your trip. Wipes may be enough to get you through a few days.
  • A recovery strap is handy but make sure you have proper front and rear tow points to connect it to.
Just one guy's $0.02. :)
I disagree with some of that, comments below
  • I have needed traction boards more often than I thought I would, even on simple trails, e.g. when trails were wetter than expected or more damaged than described; I'd start with two, especially when going anywhere alone. Even easy trails.
  • Lowering tire pressure is not just about moving along, it's also to not damage the trail more than necessary. Every vehicle always puts strain on a trail, running on normal road pressure and the lowered traction due to that, as well as not categorically using 4WD is damaging the trail more. This is about preserving the trail as good as possible for others to use as well. Basic courtesy.
  • A toilet falls partly under "basic courtesy" to others as well. As long as you aren't doing the "perfect" thing, far away from streams, trails, digging a deep enough hole, a toilet makes a lot of sense.
Agree on the axe, shower bag (although it's such a cheap item, I'd get it anyways). The recovery strap: that's why I said "slow and steady".

Reactions: Dusther210

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I disagree with some of that, comments below
  • I have needed traction boards more often than I thought I would, even on simple trails, e.g. when trails were wetter than expected or more damaged than described; I'd start with two, especially when going anywhere alone. Even easy trails.
  • Lowering tire pressure is not just about moving along, it's also to not damage the trail more than necessary. Every vehicle always puts strain on a trail, running on normal road pressure and the lowered traction due to that, as well as not categorically using 4WD is damaging the trail more. This is about preserving the trail as good as possible for others to use as well. Basic courtesy.
I wholeheartedly agree with the value of traction boards and lower tire pressure. But I would not throw them on the top of a priority list. For me (and I am only speaking for myself), I would consider them along with tire tread, suspension, lockers, and a winch. Although when I started exploring, I travelled with another vehicle in remote areas where a recovery strap and my buddy's winch usually saved the day. I've since wandered out alone, but my vehicle has changed as well as my knowledge and ability. An experienced overlander will admit the best recovery tool is your friend and his or her vehicle. :)

To the OP, I recommend not only creating a list for your first outing but a working list with skills and gear prioritized that changes with each trip. Throw everything you think you need on there and watch it change as your experience grows. But never forget skills and knowledge on that list. While a first aid or survival class might not look as cool as big mud tires, it will reap way more dividends over your outdoor career.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
If you dont want to spend money on a roof basket, you shouldnt spend time putting Jerry Cans on your roof with just bungee and a net. That's a tragedy waiting to happen, as it comes loose from the bungee at highway speeds and crashes through someone else's windshield, breaking thier nose if they are lucky, but also dousing them in gasoline. And hoping the resultant crash doesnt cause a spark.

One man's suggestion: Get the roof basket and do it right, or get the hitch basket, and do it right. Or dont carry loaded Jerry cans
For a about twenty more bucks or so he could buy the roof basket.

Last edited:

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
@Lead K9 - I've been looking around the Cascades here in Washington. Probably somewhere between I-90 and SR-2. Looks like there's a lot of decent forest roads there, it's not too far from home (Seattle) or towns, and some pretty good views I could get to. Not my ideal place, but worth it to spend a couple nights to get a feel, I think.

I have a bottle jack already that I purchased because having a gravel driveway doesn't lend well to my floor jack with this vehicle.

I am getting new tires put on (Toyo OC AT3), but I'll be running those are highway pressure unless I'm on the trail. I agree with @cug about running lower pressure. I'd also feel more comfortable with the handling and less possibility of damaging the tires. And, while I am rebuilding the suspension, I don't want to damage that either. As for mechanical, this vehicle was absolutely babied by the original owner, and I'm lucky enough to be carrying that torch now. I do a great job maintaining my vehicles, and if it's any indication, this one is still besting EPA estimated fuel economy at 177,000 miles. No noisy valves that this engine is known for, buttery idle, best shifting transmission I've ever had, etc.

I also agree with @cug about traveling alone. It'll be just myself and my dog for the first couple times. My family and I are avid campers, so I feel comfortable going out by myself. I also used to take my cars out on forest service roads when I was in my late teens / early 20's, just to see how far they would go. I'm rather comfortable doing it and knowing the limitations of myself and my vehicle. I do want to prepare as much as is feasible. That was one thing I liked about the idea of a Hi-Lift - using it as a sort of winch if necessary.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
You are thinking things through nicely.......assemble some basic kit, and then get out there for a day or two and take notes of what is NEEDED vs. wanted vs. wished for.

It's amazing how much stuff can be un-necessary (if you plan the trip well and don't try things you're not equipped for). You will love the Toyos, and the Element is one cool ride.

Reactions: DavidD

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow, thank you so much, everyone!

@M Rose - Thanks so much for bringing to my attention those required items. I don't think I would ever have discovered that on my own.

@cug - Wow, great list and suggestions.

@ThundahBeagle - I've toyed with the idea of a cheap basket until I can get a Gobi Rack or other rack. 150 lbs isn't great, but it's better than none. Especially for $100.

Here is my revised list. I do have a lot of this, but I went ahead and put stuff here that I might forget or isn't kept with my normal camping gear.

• First Aid/Trauma Kit
  • Satellite communicator
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Air compressor
  • Rapid deflator (maybe)
  • Tire plug kit (on shelf in garage)
  • ≥ 2x Water cans
  • 2-4x Traction boards
  • Roof rack (HF?)
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • 2x4’s as bottle jack platform and surface between jack and car
  • Camping Toilet (waterless with chemicals)
  • Waste bags to carry outside of vehicle
  • Trash bags
  • Replacement valve cores and caps
  • Tools (see packing list)
  • JB Weld
  • Electrical tape
  • Duct tape
  • Bear spray
  • Shower bag
  • Insect repellent
  • Mechanic gloves
  • Recovery strap
As for tools, I've got most of what's listed on the essentials tool list.

What are some common repairs needed on the fly? I would imagine underbody damage and suspension damage. I can't imagine carrying an entire spare parts catalog with me, and I know y'all don't either. But there must be a general rule of thumb?
The only reason I know it was because we used to keep these items in all of our 4 wheel drive rigs when I was growing up. When I asked my dad about them, he told me that they were required. I thought he was pulling my leg until one late summer day we were traveling along minding our own business when a forest service truck pulled up beside us and asked to see our fire suppression kit. My dad gladly opened up the back of the 68 IH Scout 800 and showed the Ranger the double bit axe, shovel, 3 fire extinguishers, and then walked up front to open the hood and show the 5 gallon water can we had as a dual purpose water source (fires and overheating). The Ranger bid us good day and continued up the trail in front of us.
About 2 hours later we passed the Ranger again with someone else and the ticket book out. At our lunch stop the Ranger pulled into our little shaded spot to eat his lunch. Conversation turned to the tickets he wrote early and he lightly let it slip that they didn’t have any fire suppression equipment, and their exhaust hung too low for the trail they were traveling on. The group had other violations as well… but they would never have been caught had they had the correct tools on them at the time.

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
Good looking list. The only thing I would add is a water filter. Especially if you are only going to have 1 Jerry Can. Highlift is probably not necessary. You are not high enough off the ground to need it, they do not safely work as a alternate to a winch, and I have honestly had one for about 2 years and I don't even take it any more. Get a Smittybilt puncture kit and keep your bottle jack just in case. I hope you have many fantastic adventures.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Thanks everyone!

@North40overland - Sounds like Smittybilt is the way to go with a lot of things. It's funny - I did my first tire puncture repair on our Honda Fit a couple months / 1,000 miles ago. Went really well, hasn't been an issue since. It's amazing what you can learn on YouTube.