Rank II

Enthusiast I

Pasco County, Florida, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Wolf
Member #

I’m in a similar situation. The T4 will permit standing but need to be able to pack the tent on my TJ (swing out tire rack) or short bed Tacoma. The T3 just fits those requirements. Plus, the T3 has a lot more room than my Kamp-Rite tent cot!
I was in a similar situation so I now have one of each. T3 is smaller and lighter, but my cots don't fit. T4 when I want more space and want to sleep off the ground.
Figured out a way to travel with a T4 and G6 Gazebo with my Tacoma and still have the truck bed free. Got a Diamondback cover with the FrontRunner bed racks. The tent and gazebo fit under the bed rack on top off the cover. I secure them with ratchet straps, etc. and then still have the top of the rack for more gear if I need it.

Attachments

Reactions: Shamu and Corrie

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

I’m in a similar situation. The T4 will permit standing but need to be able to pack the tent on my TJ (swing out tire rack) or short bed Tacoma. The T3 just fits those requirements. Plus, the T3 has a lot more room than my Kamp-Rite tent cot!
I was in a similar situation so I now have one of each. T3 is smaller and lighter, but my cots don't fit. T4 when I want more space and want to sleep off the ground.
Figured out a way to travel with a T4 and G6 Gazebo with my Tacoma and still have the truck bed free. Got a Diamondback cover with the FrontRunner bed racks. The tent and gazebo fit under the bed rack on top off the cover. I secure them with ratchet straps, etc. and then still have the top of the rack for more gear if I need it.
That’s a super slick solution/set up.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Very nice. I’m back to using my ‘04 TJ for my trips (my wife “acquired” the Tacoma for her work after the regear). A Gazelle T3 and a Clam 4-sided screened shelter (during the buggy months) fit perfectly across the back of the Jeep. If you drive in mountainous areas, I recommend 4.88 gears if on 265/75R16 tires. Night and day difference. My wife hated driving the Tacoma up hills/mountains before the regear. Now she likes driving the truck, dangnabbit…

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I have to strap the T4 on the roof unless I leave the kids behind at home lol. I can get it on the CJ if I get creative. I.E. strap it to the rollbar and windshield frame :tearsofjoy:

Msfitoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro NC
First Name
Sid
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
working on it
I have to strap the T4 on the roof unless I leave the kids behind at home lol. I can get it on the CJ if I get creative. I.E. strap it to the rollbar and windshield frame :tearsofjoy:
I have a similar set up with Front Runner RTT tent on top of their rack mounted to Diamondback...when I bring my T3X I slide it sideways against the back glass of my Ranger pickup...no straps needed...