GAUGING INTEREST for a cleanup in Death Valley NP. (POLL ENDED)

• HTML tutorial

Would you be interested in helping NPS Law Enforcement with a Trail Guardian event in Death Valley

• Yes

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We have been approached by NPS Law Enforcement to help out with an illegal marijuana grow within the park.

This is an important project because it will help keep areas like Hunter Mountain open. Typically Law Enforcement closes area that have been impacted by illegal activity, and by helping them get rid of a grow helps keep the area open to overland travel and especially dispersed camping.

I don't have a date, but what I need is to find out if we could get enough members together for a Trail Guardian Event this winter in DV NP.

PLEASE REPLY TO THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

Thank you,

Last edited:

Sierra Bound

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
We have been approached by NPS Law Enforcement to help out with an illegal marijuana grow within the park.

This is an important project because it will help keep areas like Hunter Mountain open. Typically Law Enforcement closes area that have been impacted by illegal activity, and by helping them get rid of a grow helps keep the area open to overland travel and especial dispersed camping.

I don't have a date, but what I need is to find out if we could get enough members together for a Trail Guardian Event this winter in DV NP.

Please reply here or by email if you would be interested in helping with this type of project. Kent@OverlandBound.com

Thank you,
Very interested

Reactions: Kent R

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Guys (and gals),

I don’t know if you understand the importance of this gig. NPS doesn’t go looking for help on these kind of matters. They just react and like @Kent R said, “Typically Law Enforcement closes area that have been impacted by illegal activity”, and shut down the area.

If you are in the area and can’t help, please help
by directing people to this thread.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Happy to haul a trailer much like I did at Stonyford a couple years ago.

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE

This is an important project because it will help keep areas like Hunter Mountain open. Typically Law Enforcement closes area that have been impacted by illegal activity, and by helping them get rid of a grow helps keep the area open to overland travel and especially dispersed camping.

PLEASE REPLY TO THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

Thank you,
Yes. I can’t access the poll

Reactions: Kent R and AzzyRnr

Kauri

Rank I

Contributor III

Marin, CA, USA
First Name
Cooper
Last Name
Jacob
Hi all, this is my first post here :) I saw that a member of the Death Valley Talk forum shared this info on that forum, and I just re-posted it on the DeathValley.net forum, which gets a lot more traffic; hopefully that’s okay with you all. I’d love to participate in this cleanup effort but unfortunately probably won’t be able to due to scheduling conflicts. Very glad to see the DV NPS reaching out to your group about this!! I’ve been hoping for many years that they’d reach out and work with overlanding and off-road groups rather than closing roads, so am happy to see it’s finally starting to happen.
-Kauri

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi all, this is my first post here :) I saw that a member of the Death Valley Talk forum shared this info on that forum, and I just re-posted it on the DeathValley.net forum, which gets a lot more traffic; hopefully that’s okay with you all. I’d love to participate in this cleanup effort but unfortunately probably won’t be able to due to scheduling conflicts. Very glad to see the DV NPS reaching out to your group about this!! I’ve been hoping for many years that they’d reach out and work with overlanding and off-road groups rather than closing roads, so am happy to see it’s finally starting to happen.
-Kauri
Make sure the redirect comes back to this page without any link for discussion… we need to know how many Overland Bound Members can participate in order to make this project lift off the ground.

Kauri

Rank I

Contributor III

Marin, CA, USA
First Name
Cooper
Last Name
Jacob
Make sure the redirect comes back to this page without any link for discussion… we need to know how many Overland Bound Members can participate in order to make this project lift off the ground.
I included a link to this forum page on my DVnet forums post; should I have linked it differently, just to the original post? (I'm sorry, I'm not entirely clear what you meant by "without any link for discussion"?)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I included a link to this forum page on my DVnet forums post; should I have linked it differently, just to the original post? (I'm sorry, I'm not entirely clear what you meant by "without any link for discussion"?)
The thread needs to be locked so no more discussion can happen outside of Overland Bound.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
-Kauri
Are these forums or FB pages you are talking about?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Are these forums or FB pages you are talking about?
They're forums, here's the link:

And if you'd prefer I don't share this info, just let me know. It sounded like you were looking for folks to help, but if I misunderstood and this needs to stay within Overland Bound I can delete my forum post.
I am just putting it out to make sure I could get enough members to help out with a Trail Guardian Event in DV. This post will be deleted this week and if we proceed with an event a Rally Point event will be published.
There is a good possibility that other groups could get involved but that is to be determined at a later date.

Kauri

Rank I

Contributor III

Marin, CA, USA
First Name
Cooper
Last Name
Jacob
I am just putting it out to make sure I could get enough members to help out with a Trail Guardian Event in DV. This post will be deleted this week and if we proceed with an event a Rally Point event will be published.
There is a good possibility that other groups could get involved but that is to be determined at a later date.
Ah, okay, thank you for the clarification! I went ahead and deleted my post on the DVnet forums to avoid confusion. If at any point this does get opened up to other groups to participate, the DVnet forum (https://dv.netllama.us/dv/, it used to be Death-Valley.net but that site was retired) would be a great place to reach out to other DV enthusiasts; it gets a lot of traffic and I think some of the folks there would be very happy to help in a cleanup effort (myself included, schedule depending). Thank you for working with the NPS on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.