• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Are there any new fangled gas can straps what work well stopping theft also? Or is everyone just using the basic buckle straps and removing the cans when not in use?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Are there any new fangled gas can straps what work well stopping theft also? Or is everyone just using the basic buckle straps and removing the cans when not in use?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A). Are there any new fangled gas can straps what work well stopping theft also?

B). Or is everyone just using the basic buckle straps and removing the cans when not in use?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A=Not that I'm aware of.

B=more than likely removing them when not in use. Nothing is theft proof, given time and determination of the thief. A good steel basket, with a steel over-strap and lock will only deter them. Add a short cable, and theft resistant lock, and it will just take longer. Battery saws-all and battery powered grinders with a cutting wheel have made it so much easier. Not that a grinder and gas cans in close proximity would be a place i would want to stand by. The noise they make would be their greatest deterrence if in public. all you can do is make it 'not worth their while',......aka.....time .

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Street

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Duke
Why would you even want to carry them when not in use? Use a strap, and take them off when you're done. They don't make you look any cooler.

sleak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Steelcore straps might be something you could look at. They lock, and you can get multiples keyed alike.
steelcore.com

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ya can't lock a strap, I use these and have been for years. Been using a pad lock on a pair of them for years. The pair are mounted on my trailer which lives in our carriage house. The OP is asking a valid question just as long as he isn't a poser which some here have blatantly accused him of.

On our long tours they are kept locked for two reasons. Ya never know what goes on at our once every fifth day motel parking lot, and you never know who's gonna wander into your campsite.

DSC00186.jpgimages.jpg

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Ya can't lock a strap, I use these and have been for years. Been using a pad lock on a pair of them for years. The pair are mounted on my trailer which lives in our carriage house. The OP is asking a valid question just as long as he isn't a poser which some here have blatantly accused him of.

On our long tours they are kept locked for two reasons. Ya never know what goes on at our once every fifth day motel parking lot, and you never know who's gonna wander into your campsite.

View attachment 119646View attachment 119645
I agree. It. 's very easy to say people are posers. I installed a winch. Am I a poser too. Not when I had to use it. 12 MPG just on the road. Half that on rough trails. I'll keep my gas cans with padlocks on the straps. I won't keep them filled except when I'm afraid of running out. But taking them off? I wont have them when I need them!.