Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

So I thought I'd right a Lil review on my rack... Ha! My rack but no time to joke about that now

Anyway I picked this up off of craigslist withall the add-ons. The add-ons are the wind deflector, ladder and shovel/axe attachments. I also ordered some light mounts.

Now I bought this used for about half of what it cost new which is probably a big reason I went with it over gobi rack.And it's already a few years old. Most of the rack came assembled however assembly looks to be very simple as you are only bolting together a few bars. Installing the rack wasn't very difficult minus one part, drilling wholes to mount the rear brackets. This comes with stencil when new so I was out of luck. So I measured once, twice, twelve times.

20151013_191554.jpg

Let me say Garvin really impressed me with a few things l. First this thing is used. And I was missing two small pieces I needed to assemble the rear . Well called em up and they sent them out no charge at all, not even shipping. That's even when I told em it was used. Same thing with the license plate light, no charge.

The build quality is very good. Once installed it's very stought. I was walking around on it and it supported my veloptious posterior without and give.
The mounts are pretty beefy plate steel.
I'm not sure of the thickness. If I had to say id say 1/4 inch . Again not sure of the thickness of the "tubes".

20160130_165958.jpg 20160130_165949.jpg
20160130_165938.jpg

Wind noise makes itself none about 65 MPh and has had a small impact on fuel economy. I don't know about aerodynamics but the placement of the wind deflector seems odd. I get it supposed to block wind hitting the basket however it sits forward of the window which I would think would let air right by. I removed the wind deflector and the noise increased so it's just not eye candy.

20160130_165929.jpg
20160130_165923.jpg

The only thing I'm not happy about is the rust. The outside is fine. The inside seems to be the issue. I find it leaking past the plastic caps. Not sure how I'm gonna rid myself of this problem yet.20160130_170005.jpg

For the price I paid I can't complain and the company stands behind their product. Once I remedy the rust water problem this thing will surely perform for years .

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks for your write up on the Garvin roof rack. They are well known and claimed as one of the best in the industry. Regardless of the rack being used, no doubt it's going to give you years of heavy duty service. I would like to have a Garvin or Gobi on my Jeep. However, they don't make a fastback option (as of yet). Once you have it loaded up with gear and get a chance to drive on the highway with semis and other vehicles, I would like to hear how you think it handles.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ya I'm rearly curious too. I do notice in this bit of weather it catches side way gusts a bit more which is to be expected. I haven't noticed a issue while passing semis but that could change.
I will update once I pack her up

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That is curious with the fairing forward of the windscreen. You'd think wind would scoop up the windscreen and come up through the bottom of the rack, behind the fairing. I know when I put my basket on, I had it too far forward, yet still behind the windscreen, and it howled a lot. I moved it back 4" and that stopped the noise. Obviously, there's no moving yours.

That looks like a great bargain!

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

That is curious with the fairing forward of the windscreen. You'd think wind would scoop up the windscreen and come up through the bottom of the rack, behind the fairing. I know when I put my basket on, I had it too far forward, yet still behind the windscreen, and it howled a lot. I moved it back 4" and that stopped the noise. Obviously, there's no moving yours.

Right? it just seems really odd to me. I've looked at pictures of others I could find and they seem to be the same. But I'm not an engineer or designer so maybe it's this way for a reason.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I have been looking at this rack myself and have one question. I heard that full racks such as these interfere with satellite reception. Do you have satellite on your Jeep, if so, are you experiencing reception issues?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I do have satellite radio and nav, and have no issues.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I have this rack on my H3 and have the same rust issue. Wish I would have put some black sealant around the caps to prevent rust, but to late...

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

The front air deflector is meant to help push air the same direction as the windshield, so it travels up and over your gear.

Reactions: stoney126

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

The fairing will act more for form than function here, for sure.. But the heck with it - it looks epic!