Launch Member

Contributor II

Cedar Hill, TN - Enumclaw, WA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Fyke
Member #

Hey guys, hope you all had a great Mother’s Day weekend. So, this post is in regard to Garmin's mapping and route planning software.

I usually download GPX files and upload them to the online Garmin software, then tweak/refine the routes within Garmin to make them more accurate. It usually involves me saving the route every 5 minutes or so, because the Garmin server crashes causing me to start over. I then use Earthmate on the trails for navigation. Well, these days, I am trying to tweak the OBDR Route 4 for a trip in June, and unless I save and restart the route every 30 seconds it does not save. Is anyone aware of an alternative or fix to this? I could always plot the route elsewhere and upload it, but the Garmin software removes 50% or more of the points and makes it wildly inaccurate. Does Garmin have offline route-planning software that won't crash that I am unaware of? Thanks in advance.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
On a Mac look at ADZE or GPX Edit. Maybe even Road Trip Planner.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Are you using Mapsource? I don't find any of the Garmin route planning stuff user friendly. The old stuff 10 years ago was much more friendly.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm pretty adept at Basecamp but yeah Garmin software has a steep learning curve. I used to be fairly active in a Sport Touring motorcycle association and they even had "Garmin Mapsource/Basecamp" classes because the software just wasn't intuitive. I moved to Gaia about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. Most of my other NAV apps never get used anymore except for Google Maps. Much better program.

I still have Basecamp around but probably haven't used it in over a year.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I don't have the links handy but there are videos showing how to plan trips on GoogleEarth and then convert them to a format you can load onto your Garmin. I've done it a few times and it works pretty well.