Garmin Overlander | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Garmin Overlander

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Mtnmn99

Rank IV
Adventure

Contributor II

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

It would not surprise me given it's been 3ish years. My only question is what direction will/would they go? Cheaper, Same, or increase the "overland tax". I could potentially see them doing all 3 but more likely the 1st or 3rd option. Cheaper would make sense because maybe they want a larger share of the market, but what would it sacrifice in terms of features? The more expensive route is the partially the inverse. What would they add to make it "better" and make it relatively "worth more" than the original price? Or they could just update the look and the internals a bit and just up the price by 10% like everything else.

Features I'd personally like to see added would be:

1. Weather/Radar App independent of inReach
  2. Option for Cellular (Traffic Data could potentially more accurate/updated quicker)
  3. Rotating Swivel Mount for portrait/landscape use
I'm sure I could think of more but those would be my top 3 probably.
My bet is a update with InReach built-in. And minimal features. Look at the difference in the Montana series. 600 series vrs 700I series, also Their alpha dog collars. Only difference is In Reach built-in.

It is all about a reoccurring revenue stream with InReach.

Sjo527

Rank V
Adventure

Advocate II

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham Callsign
Testing Soon ;)
My bet is a update with InReach built-in. And minimal features. Look at the difference in the Montana series. 600 series vrs 700I series, also Their alpha dog collars. Only difference is In Reach built-in.

That's a solid bet and you're right. It fits their patterns as of late. And since I have a inReach Mini I wouldn't buy the new version unless it had a significant benefit over my current one.

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

It would not surprise me given it's been 3ish years. My only question is what direction will/would they go? Cheaper, Same, or increase the "overland tax". I could potentially see them doing all 3 but more likely the 1st or 3rd option. Cheaper would make sense because maybe they want a larger share of the market, but what would it sacrifice in terms of features? The more expensive route is the partially the inverse. What would they add to make it "better" and make it relatively "worth more" than the original price? Or they could just update the look and the internals a bit and just up the price by 10% like everything else.

Features I'd personally like to see added would be:

1. Weather/Radar App independent of inReach
  2. Option for Cellular (Traffic Data could potentially more accurate/updated quicker)
  3. Rotating Swivel Mount for portrait/landscape use
I'm sure I could think of more but those would be my top 3 probably.

I personally don’t care about inReach built in. I already have multiple inReach devices, so that isn’t enough for me to upgrade.

I would like them to focus more on the software. For example, more map layers, and more of an ability to do the work right on the Overlander vs using a desktop. They could take a cue from Gaia, and add some of what they offer. I know the Overlander gets hate, but I honestly like the device. They just need to throw more attention at it.

Reactions: Fosters

WU7X

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham Callsign
WU7X
Question for this group: I own an iPad 2, think it's a 10" version that I've had for several years. I run both Gaia GPS and inReach sofftware on it. My only issue is screen visability while mounted on the dash. It's terrible. How is the Garmin Overlander's visibility while mounted in your rig?

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Question for this group: I own an iPad 2, think it's a 10" version that I've had for several years. I run both Gaia GPS and inReach sofftware on it. My only issue is screen visability while mounted on the dash. It's terrible. How is the Garmin Overlander's visibility while mounted in your rig?
I haven’t found glare to be an issue. The screen is also slightly recessed into the case.

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I see they have a 200$ rebate on them. Whats up with that? Will a new unit be coming out?
No way to know. I’ve reached out to Garmin, including someone that has extensive hands on, and couldn’t get an answer. Basically, they don’t know until last minute. They have been taking suggestions for future updates. There will more than likely be a V.2 in the future based on what Garmin is saying. When? We won’t know until it’s announced. But, if you can save 200.00, and want the unit, strike while you can. No sense in waiting, when there is no info on a new product.

mirage100

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Smith
No way to know. I’ve reached out to Garmin, including someone that has extensive hands on, and couldn’t get an answer. Basically, they don’t know until last minute. They have been taking suggestions for future updates. There will more than likely be a V.2 in the future based on what Garmin is saying. When? We won’t know until it’s announced. But, if you can save 200.00, and want the unit, strike while you can. No sense in waiting, when there is no info on a new product.
Thanks for the reply. It just sounds too good to be true. But what the hay . A 200$ rebate is a heck of a rebate.

mirage100

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Smith
Does anyone here have a Garmin Overlander and use it with a Apple Mac Computer. I looked at the info on Garmin sights about using a Mac with it. Not real clear on it. Do you ever really need to hook up the Overland to a Computer?

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Does anyone here have a Garmin Overlander and use it with a Apple Mac Computer. I looked at the info on Garmin sights about using a Mac with it. Not real clear on it. Do you ever really need to hook up the Overland to a Computer?
I use mine with a Mac all the time. No issues. You are just accessing the Explore website to do planning.

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Been using the Overlander extensively on my current trip. Really like the device. It has been super accurate, and has some great features. It will mark historic places of interest, put icons up on the drive portion for forest roads and camp grounds, and the switch between drive and explore is awesome. I think it’s a great device, and honestly, I like it better than Gaia.

DMS1

Rank II

Enthusiast II

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I see they have a 200$ rebate on them. Whats up with that? Will a new unit be coming out?
Either an updated unit, or they did not sell very well. I would look into the Montana 700i, I give it 4 stars overall, 4.5 for overlanding and 3.5 for street use.

enjoitheride

Rank III

Member III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Either an updated unit, or they did not sell very well. I would look into the Montana 700i, I give it 4 stars overall, 4.5 for overlanding and 3.5 for street use.
Well, they didn’t release anything at Expo. So, maybe it was just a sale?