Garmin Overlander Overland Bound app please?

• HTML tutorial

Survivor602

Rank II

Traveler III

Fremont, NE, USA
First Name
Zachariah
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

So I purchased the Garmin Overlander and love it. I would love to see an Overland Bound app or something for my Garmin. It would be nice to be able to get the forums, waypoints, events, and whatnot directly on the GPS. Anyone know if there's an app/software that works well with the Overlander for editing/uploading/creating maps?

Last edited:
Reactions: enjoitheride

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I think that you will need to something external to the Overlander (on the computer) like Garmin BaseCamp to create routes/waypoints/plans and then upload them to the Overlander. Don't own one so I do not know.

Reactions: M Rose

Survivor602

Rank II

Traveler III

Fremont, NE, USA
First Name
Zachariah
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

I think that you will need to something external to the Overlander (on the computer) like Garmin BaseCamp to create routes/waypoints/plans and then upload them to the Overlander. Don't own one so I do not know.
I'm definitely going to need a third-party software. Basecamp is one of the top contenders so far.

Giljr572

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Deep River, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Gilles
Last Name
Pepin
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Since the Overlander is built on an Android tablet, you could easily (relatively...) sideload the OB Android app on it. Now that you mention it, I need to try it... I have the GAIA GPS and BRMB (Back Road MapBook) apps installed on my Overlander and they work pretty well.

The Overlander also has a web browser, so you could access the OB website that way. I did that once at a trailhead when I realized I had not uploaded the correct route into my Overlander. Create a WIFI hotspot with your phone, connect to it with the Overlander, get to OB on the web browser and download what you need.

To create routes, waypoints and such, the Overlander uses Garmin Explore. You can fairly easily create what you need on the web based app and then sync to transfer what you created to the Overlander. Long routes are a pain to create in Explore, so I personally use GAIA and then import into Explore to get it on my Overlander.

Reactions: Ubiety