Garmin BaseCamp vs Google Earth

• HTML tutorial

Eric Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bossier City, LA
Member #

Good afternoon all. I was messing around with my Garmin Handheld and during my updates found Garmin's BaseCamp software. I admit that I purchased my GPS years ago and never really used it for what I could (was just the cool thing back in the day). I have become a lot more interested in the features and abilities of various GPS and mapping options to include Google Earth. I messed around with both a little and to me they seem very similar but was wondering if anyone out the was well versed on both and what the opinions are.

This is all new for me and its kind of like drinking water from a fire hose with all the information and options out there. Thanks in advance for the input!

Edit: Probably should have mentioned I have a Garmin Oregon 550t.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

basemaps will open pretty much any type of track file, and many types of maps. you have to supply your own maps if you want any detail. there are lots of regional ones and specialty ones. garmin birdseye maps give basecamp a google earth type map, but you have to pay for it. basecamp works seamlessly with all garmin gps's. or it's supposed to. if you want to load tracks and trails and maps onto a garmin, this is what you use.

google earth is the map, but it's only one kind of map (arieal images) and you can't take the map with you on your garmin. it will communicate with a gps so you can load tracks from your gps and see them on google earth. getting them from google earth to your gps is not as easy, you may need to convert the file to someting your gps can read. it works good for planning trips, since it gives you a cool perspective of some trails and roads. you can use google earth to import some custom maps to your gps, but it's a bit convoluted. works cool if your map is just a jpeg though.

this is my process. draw a track in google earth or basecamp. check it out in both programs to get a good idea of it. once it's in it's final form, use basecamp to put it on your gps.

google earth is fun when you get back from your trip. it's easy to poad it from the gps into google earth, and you can see elevation profiles and check where roads you didn't take go.

i didn't mean for that to get so long. sorry.

Reactions: Eric Martin

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
basemaps will open pretty much any type of track file, and many types of maps. you have to supply your own maps if you want any detail. there are lots of regional ones and specialty ones. garmin birdseye maps give basecamp a google earth type map, but you have to pay for it. basecamp works seamlessly with all garmin gps's. or it's supposed to. if you want to load tracks and trails and maps onto a garmin, this is what you use.

google earth is the map, but it's only one kind of map (arieal images) and you can't take the map with you on your garmin. it will communicate with a gps so you can load tracks from your gps and see them on google earth. getting them from google earth to your gps is not as easy, you may need to convert the file to someting your gps can read. it works good for planning trips, since it gives you a cool perspective of some trails and roads. you can use google earth to import some custom maps to your gps, but it's a bit convoluted. works cool if your map is just a jpeg though.

this is my process. draw a track in google earth or basecamp. check it out in both programs to get a good idea of it. once it's in it's final form, use basecamp to put it on your gps.

google earth is fun when you get back from your trip. it's easy to poad it from the gps into google earth, and you can see elevation profiles and check where roads you didn't take go.

This is some great info comparing the two.

Additionally, Michael made a great tutorial video that makes moving tracks that you make it Google Earth to a .gpx file.
It really simplifies the process of using G/Earth and then using a Garmin for the real world work of following where you want to go..

Eric Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bossier City, LA
Member #

Thank you for the info! It is pretty easy to load the maps on to the Garmin using BaseCamp.

Eric Martin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bossier City, LA
Member #

This is some great info comparing the two.

Additionally, Michael made a great tutorial video that makes moving tracks that you make it Google Earth to a .gpx file.
It really simplifies the process of using G/Earth and then using a Garmin for the real world work of following where you want to go..
Yup. I watched it a couple times to learn how to use it. It is a great video.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

As above, I use a combination of Google Earth (to visualise) and Base Camp to prep the final route to be loaded to the GPS. Swapping the amended route from one to the other until I'm happy with it.
I have both a Nuvi and an Oregon, so usually load to both. I also have Garmin on the Ipad, but it's not good for copying routes to, which would be a big improvement (if you're listening Garmin !!)
Export a gpx file and it'll then be usable on pretty much any device or application (except Gamin on the Ipad!).

JDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Porto, Portugal
First Name
JDavid
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Hello @Eric Martin (and who it may concern)

Key point:
KEEP your GPX COLLECTION organising/archiving OUTSIDE OF BaseCamp! Do it in a (custom) folder tree (preferably auto-backed up (cloud or otherwise).

Full version:
It’s been some time since this thread was alive but here goes nothing (for the record and benefit of fellow inmates that may be using/learning this combo).

BaseCamp (BC) and Google Earth (GE) have been “the two sides” of my “NAVprep workflow coin” for a few years.
Though an ideal workflow would occur inside a single freeware platform, these two can be made to play nicer together (with legacy versions, but that’s a topic for some other time, if there is interest).

For now a word of warning regarding managing data in BC (namely sequentially numbered WayPoints (WPs).
(These occur in garmin units anytime one records WPs without renaming them (standard practice during reconnaissance /laying down tracks in the field) ).
KEEP YOUR GPX organising/archiving OUTSIDE OF BC! Do it in a custom folder tree (preferably auto-backed up (cloud or otherwise).

Trying to keep your collection organised in BC will result in mayhem and unpleasant experiences (ask me how I learned that one ;) )
Happy NAV’ing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I keep a Goolge Drive Folder full of my GPX files. I use basecamp quite a bit. Infact I've got a GPS unit sitting on my shelf that I never use for anything other than updating the maps on Basecamp for trip planning, it had lifetime maps and traffic when I bought it. I've never had luck using google earth to route plan and had so so luck using google maps. Issue I have with google maps is saving the maps themselves and it limits you on how many waypoints you can drop.

I have been messing around more and more with a few phone/tablet options.

Reactions: JDavid

JDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Porto, Portugal
First Name
JDavid
Last Name
Silva
Member #

I keep a Goolge Drive Folder full of my GPX files.
Wise choice! That way you're protected from BaseCamp's defult-file-renaming-dynamics!
I use basecamp quite a bit. Infact I've got a GPS unit sitting on my shelf that I never use for anything other than updating the maps on Basecamp for trip planning, it had lifetime maps and traffic when I bought it.
Yeah the GPS-unit-is-the-garmin-branded-map-dongle-architecture... Wow! thats very fortunate! does it include all updates and the-birsdeye-thingy (aerial photography) FOR LIFE??
I've never had luck using google earth to route plan and had so so luck using google maps. Issue I have with google maps is saving the maps themselves and it limits you on how many waypoints you can drop.
Yeah, caching it (on the laptop) works but it is limited. However there seem to be some workarounds for wider map areas...
I have been messing around more and more with a few phone/tablet options.
Cool! I've been tinkering/contemplating that route (no NAVpun intended ;) ) Care to expand on your findings? Any contact time with freeware/open source?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Wise choice! That way you're protected from BaseCamp's defult-file-renaming-dynamics!

Yeah the GPS-unit-is-the-garmin-branded-map-dongle-architecture... Wow! thats very fortunate! does it include all updates and the-birsdeye-thingy (aerial photography) FOR LIFE??

Yeah, caching it (on the laptop) works but it is limited. However there seem to be some workarounds for wider map areas...

Cool! I've been tinkering/contemplating that route (no NAVpun intended ;) ) Care to expand on your findings? Any contact time with freeware/open source?
Its just a Nuvi 1450 that i bought years ago that included lifetime maps. So you just download map updates as needed.

Reactions: JDavid