Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It’s pretty uncommon for phones to have a connector for external GPS, or any, antenna. Not familiar with that model and searched the web and found no products or info that supports adding an external antenna. GPS signals are very weak and in order for them to make it from an external antenna into a phone‘s GPS would almost certainly require a dedicated RF connection between the two. I may be completely off base but assume that connecting an external antenna is not going to be possible. Or do you mean “external GPS” rather than “external GPS antenna” (because the two are very different)?

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

It’s pretty uncommon for phones to have a connector for external GPS, or any, antenna. Not familiar with that model and searched the web and found no products or info that supports adding an external antenna. GPS signals are very weak and in order for them to make it from an external antenna into a phone‘s GPS would almost certainly require a dedicated RF connection between the two. I may be completely off base but assume that connecting an external antenna is not going to be possible. Or do you mean “external GPS” rather than “external GPS antenna” (because the two are very different)?
Mobile phone "GPS" work off of cell towers, if you get no signal then....If you want your phone to operate this way you'll need an external GPS module to connect to it. I have no experience with these but think there are better options like a dedicated, true GPS receiver

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Mobile phone "GPS" work off of cell towers, if you get no signal then....If you want your phone to operate this way you'll need an external GPS module to connect to it. I have no experience with these but think there are better options like a dedicated, true GPS receiver
That is not correct for Apple products which have GPS receivers built into them (iPhones and iPads with cellular capabilities). Maybe true for other than Apple products but I don't know. Case in point - my iPhone and cellular enabled iPad allow GPS based navigation just fine outside of cell coverage and I believe that is true for mobile phones made by other than Apple as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: M Rose and old_man

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Taught the dog a new trick!

edit: I think you should have a look at this. It might help you understand what you for what you want it to do and give you the more of the info you'll need to make a good decision

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
Samsungs also have actual gps chips.

Specifically the S8 has A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO

We need more info on what you are trying to do to give options. If you are just trying to get more accurate gps location on your phone you have to go into setting and turn on high accuracy mode under location settings. Also you don't need wifi or cell for accuracy with samsung, they are capable of using straight gps signal.

Although you will not have map updates as you move unless you have cell service, pre downloaded maps, or using a third party app with pre downloaded maps. As the map info is downloaded via cell or wifi. You position coordinates will be accurate without a downloaded map.

I have a Samsung note 10 and I use, and they work with the phone gps, backcountry navigator pro, canada maps pro and garmin explore. All without cell service or wifi YMMV

Shawn

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That is not correct for Apple products which have GPS receivers built into them (iPhones and iPads with cellular capabilities). Maybe true for other than Apple products but I don't know. Case in point - my iPhone and cellular enabled iPad allow GPS based navigation just fine outside of cell coverage and I believe that is true for mobile phones made by other than Apple as well.

Yes Android Based Phones also have GPS receivers just like the Apple. And no, you don’t need cell service to get a gos signal to work on any gps enabled smart device… that is what GPS stands for any ways… Global Position Satellite…

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

What are the differences in function between a GNSS Receiver and a GNSS Antenna?

Antennas
are basic elements of any Radio Frequency (RF) system. An antenna serves as an interface between the electric circuitry of the RF system and free space, used with a transmitter or receiver.
1) In a transmitter antenna, electric currents are converted into electro-magnetic waves.
2) In a receiver antenna, radio waves are converted into electric currents. Here electric currents are applied to the Receiver, and the receiver extracts the desired information.
Its common to use external antenna + receiver in high precision application due to mitigation of positioning errors.

Last edited: