Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

In the video, I saw you highlighting several sections at a time along a route for download... I can't seem to figure out that option. Is it only available with a premium account?

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

In the video, I saw you highlighting several sections at a time along a route for download... I can't seem to figure out that option. Is it only available with a premium account?
If I understand correctly, it only let's you select a single area to download at a time. However, it highlights areas previously selected for download in red and that is what you are seeing in the video. That makes it easier to select adjacent areas, but each area is an individual map download. This is the same with and without Premium membership. You should see a similar view when you go to download a second map area.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Not sure if your question was answered yet, I read it from a different angle. You can only download maps on the app, not on the desktop interface. I thought it looked like he was doing that in a desktop/laptop in the video. To download maps on the app hit the plus with a circle around it, on drop down menu choose download map.

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

A little bit of both.

I have downloaded several maps through the app... I never see currently stored maps when I go to create a new one though. I'm using the Android App on a Samsung Galaxy A 8" (2015) if that has anything to do with it.

I recently downloaded quite a bit of Colorado from the front- range to SE Utah. I'll try to go back in and tinker with it tonight. That looks super helpful though.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

A little bit of both.

I have downloaded several maps through the app... I never see currently stored maps when I go to create a new one though. I'm using the Android App on a Samsung Galaxy A 8" (2015) if that has anything to do with it.

I recently downloaded quite a bit of Colorado from the front- range to SE Utah. I'll try to go back in and tinker with it tonight. That looks super helpful though.
I’m with you in the not seeing stored maps, that would be handy, the only way I can see what is saved is to go to saved on the bottom and then ‘folders’ or ‘maps’. Wonder if there is a better way.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Another PROTIP: Inside the Gaia app on your phone, you can have it download maps for a selected route.

iOS: Tap a route line. Tap the (i) to open up the route info. Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen, Tap "Download Maps for Track"

Android: Tap a route line. Tap the route name that appears, Tap "Download Map Along Track"

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

I’m with you in the not seeing stored maps, that would be handy, the only way I can see what is saved is to go to saved on the bottom and then ‘folders’ or ‘maps’. Wonder if there is a better way.
I end up snapping pictures of the tablet screen with my phone while looking at the desktop for reference and trying to match everything up on the tablet. It's a goofy process... but I still love the app. Worth the price of admission if you ask me.

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

My experience and the OP video are using the iOS app, so it could be an iOS/Android difference.
Gotcha. I hinged between an Android tablet and iPad (iPhone user). My tablet can track GPS offline and the iPad in my price range did not.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Another PROTIP: Inside the Gaia app on your phone, you can have it download maps for a selected route.

iOS: Tap a route line. Tap the (i) to open up the route info. Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen, Tap "Download Maps for Track"

Android: Tap a route line. Tap the route name that appears, Tap "Download Map Along Track"
I believe this gives you map data 4 miles on either side of your route. If you need more then by all means download the traditional way.

If you overlap sections during map downloads Gaia will stitch the data together and not duplicate any portion of the downloads. I personally find a zoom level of 15 is plenty detailed but you will want to experiment. Zoom level greatly impacts the download size.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

A little bit of both.

Sorry for the long delay in response... we've been busy and far from signal for a while. The short answer is that the Android version of the app doesn't show previously downloaded squares at this time. The good news is that they are coming out with a huge update early next year that will fix this and add some new features.

We also just released a new video on the basic of the Gaia GPS app here:

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Great videos.
I will definitely be getting this for our upcoming trips.

One question, is this just for North America or will this work on other continents like Africa?
Thanks.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Great videos.
I will definitely be getting this for our upcoming trips.

One question, is this just for North America or will this work on other continents like Africa?
Thanks.
There are several maps that also work great for Africa as well (so I've been told).

Here's a bit of input from their FAQ section: South Africa Maps