First Name
Steve
Last Name
White
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0KYC
Hi,

It sounds like many of our American friends use the Gaia GPS app on a phone or tablet.

Has anyone any experience of using it in UK or Europe ?

I use Ordnance Survey maps for walking and have some with electronic versions on the OS app.

For road navigation we use a Garmin unit but got caught out in Morocco where there was no coverage and the google app sent us on some strange routes !

Couldn’t buy a decent paper map while in Morocco either !

Cheers

Steve

vanlife4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
Member #

Hi Steve,
I took the non premium membership and played a bit with it but didn't used it properly yet. But looks good so far, I still have to figure out all the features. For europe it has not all the in depth features like in the US but it still has all you need for hike, bike and offroad navigation.
For paved road navigation I use google maps or waze.

If you go for Gaia there is a discount for lifestyle overland viewers. Awesome Youtube channel btw, and they did two How to use Gaia Videos so far.

https://www.gaiagps.com/lifestyleoverland/

Cheers

Arne

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We use Maps.me and download the required maps for which ever country we are in or about to enter (saves using up too much memory resources).
It works offline to once maps are downloaded unlike the likes google maps.
It is not good at predicting times though so be aware and add on an extra hour or if driving a land Rover an extra 2.
For our trip to Mongolia this year it was our primary electronic mapping. Tom Tom our back up seems to think the world does not exist east of Turkey and we found the free streetview maps on our garmin very hit and miss.
Just as an aside we always follow our routes as we drive on paper maps so we can get an overall sense of location and where we are driving and also to confirm the electronic routes. Paper maps I also prefer for hiking etc just because I learned to navigate in the winter in the Cairngorms using them.

Reactions: Jakes2514

Steve_Midlands_UK

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Warwickshire, UK
First Name
Steve
Last Name
White
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0KYC
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping Gaia might be the mythical cheap mapping solution for Europe as it gets many good reviews in the US.

I did look at upgrading the maps on the trusty Garmin but even country by country they are super expensive for my budget !

Talisker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Lake District, UK
Member #

I really like Viewranger - it's a great app designed for all sorts of adventurous activities.

Lots of maps and satellite imagery available of varying detail and downloadable for offline use. Some free and some paid for.

Full UK OS mapping at 1:25k is about £25 a year.

Also has a tracker function providing you have signal.

One license will serve multiple devices.

Reactions: Mivida

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

I pay for Gaia
I think it's good
You can download al the maps you need for offline use. But be awear it's a prety slow app witouth 4G

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Nu enkel nog maar in België en Frankrijk en Nederland gebruikt.
Deze zomer komen daar Duitsland, Polen, Estland, Letland, Litouwen, Noorwegen, Zweden en Denemarken bij

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Ik ook. Het leuke is alles wat je gereden hebt kan je direct opslaan als gpx bestand
En je kan gpx bestanden importeren