Gaia GPS acquired by Pocket Outdoor Media

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Lots of companies buy other companies and run them and their products into the ground. Software companies are famous for it, Look up Symantec for a fine example.
and lots of companies get acquired and do well. I find the reaction to the sale silly. The ink isn’t even dry. We will see what happens. If it eventually provides the opportunity for someone else to step up and make a better product so be it.

Mrprez

Rank II
OB1

Contributor III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Perhaps if they had prepared an announcement and posted it on their website to coincide with the sale it might have helped to calm the nerves. These takeovers do not happen overnight but rather take some to for negotiations and approvals. There would have been plenty of time for GaisGPS to have such an announcement ready for their customers. You may find it silly to express concern but having been burnt more than once, I am reluctant to have it happen again.

Reactions: DMS1 and Ubiety

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Perhaps if they had prepared an announcement and posted it on their website to coincide with the sale it might have helped to calm the nerves. These takeovers do not happen overnight but rather take some to for negotiations and approvals. There would have been plenty of time for GaisGPS to have such an announcement ready for their customers. You may find it silly to express concern but having been burnt more than once, I am reluctant to have it happen again.
Well it took 2 days, which I guess is forever time in the internet world but here it is, Gaia GPS Joins Forces with Outside to Transform the Outdoor Market - Gaia GPS

outside.perception

Rank II
OB1

Traveler II

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
I'm not too concerned. There's OnX, Caltopo, OverlandBound, etc if it starts to go sideways. Gaia is a fantastic app and I would think they would not want to endanger the subscription fee revenue from overlanders, vanlifers, and other backcountry vehicle users. However, I've learned it is important not to get too invested in one brand or company. I also don't ever believe any company trying to sell a lifetime subscription to anything that requires ongoing maintenance and service. I have more faith in services that have ongoing subscription fees as they are motivated to continue to improve the service to keep subscribers and revenue.

Reactions: DMS1 and OkieDavid

Mrprez

Rank II
OB1

Contributor III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ4WMZ
After all of the BS the world is dishing out I will choose to be an optimist on this news. Others don’t have to follow.
I have decided to go with a one year subscription. I looked over the other apps and wasn’t too impressed with any of them. 1Louder, I will use your affiliate link. You have made monumental contributions in support of this app and deserve to have everyone sign up using your link.

Reactions: Road and 1Louder

enjoitheride

Rank I

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I made a thread about the Garmin Overlander and peoples thoughts. My concern was how will Garmin support the product. Currently they seem pretty quiet. I run Gaia, and have for a while. I downloaded OnX and like it, also. I’m curious to where Gaia goes after this acquisition. I’m not expecting it to go south, as they have too many paying subscribers, and it would be detrimental to start losing them to other platforms. However, that’s what’s great about our economy. Options to choose from, and more options usually drives innovation to compete against others. This could be beneficial to Gaia. I try and be an optimist.

Reactions: 1Louder

LostWoods

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Member #

Time to ditch Gaia then, this will most likely not end well, time will tell. I am surprised Garmin hasn't already bought them out.
Ownership changes do not always mean the end of a good thing. Who knows, maybe being hipped in all those magazines will increase Gaia's income and allow for addition of features and new functions.
The acquisition (to include the other media platforms as well) was funded by $150M raised from four venture capital firms. Sales like this do not have a great track record for improvement after sale and those companies are going to be looking to make their money back. Time will tell how it all plays out but acquisitions funded in this manner don't have a great track record.

From the statements I've read, they're looking to create a unified wellness platform and IMO, while Gaia will be a component of that, Gaia is not really being discussed and is fixed per user income. The real focus will be driving traffic to their media platforms which offers opportunity for exponential revenue growth. Gaia's annual revenue is estimated around $5M a year right now from what I'm seeing online (lower than I expected, personally but it is congested space) and increasing that stream would require new pricing or drastically growing the user base. That's just not enough to care about as a primary feature and it will likely get bundled in some sort of membership with the overall company.

I will definitely be shopping backup plans in case Gaia goes sideways since my sub is up in a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiC70 and DMS1

reaver

Rank IV

Member I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Having been an employee working for several companies that have been acquired, these types of things usually never go well for either the customers, or the employees.

I had just let my subscription to gaia lapse, in order to try out caltopo for a year. There's definitely some things about the caltopo app I don't like, but I find the organization and layout of the app better, and easier to use. I'll keep my eye on gaia over the next year, and see what happens.

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Member #

OutdoorX4 is partnering with Gaia GPS right now on a 3-month Premium Membership with an OutdoorX4 subscription. You can check out the Overland Bound thread HERE.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The only thing that rings an alarm for me is the statement we will be merging the premium subscription with activepass for 99 bucks. Thats a big jump in price for something I want to run in our rigs for navigation. Hmmmm, we will see how this goes. Hey Frank. how's things going? We have lots of things planned for this year if we are allowed to move again. We are back in Level 5 Lockdown because of the new variant outbreak. Crossing our fingers.

OutdoorX4 is partnering with Gaia GPS right now on a 3-month Premium Membership with an OutdoorX4 subscription. You can check out the Overland Bound thread HERE.

Reactions: DMS1

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
The only thing that rings an alarm for me is the statement we will be merging the premium subscription with activepass for 99 bucks. Thats a big jump in price for something I want to run in our rigs for navigation. Hmmmm, we will see how this goes. Hey Frank. how's things going? We have lots of things planned for this year if we are allowed to move again. We are back in Level 5 Lockdown because of the new variant outbreak. Crossing our fingers.
It doesn’t say merge. It says incorporate. Meaning if you have the Outside Pass you will now get Gaia GPS premium features. Big difference. If you want nothing to do with what else Outside offers then you can keep what you have with Gaia.

Could this change? Of course. Not specific to you but so much pessimism here. Too bad. OB is usual a ray of sunshine in a currently fairly dark world.

For those that change platforms simply because of the announcement I find that silly. As of today nothing has changed . I doubt anything will change in the next year at least. It’s my opinion only. Otherwise I think it is great to test other platforms. I pay for a few others and always come back to Gaia. That’s me, not you, and just based on 20+ years of using GPS apps and devices.

“Over time, we will be looking to incorporate Gaia GPS premium features into the Active Pass subscription from Pocket Outdoor Media (now Outside!). The $99 membership includes hundreds of dollars in value in the form of premium digital content, magazine subscriptions, event entries and photography, training plans, recipes, books, a personalized feed, and interactive experiences with editors, pro athletes, coaches, and other experts.”

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
I have decided to go with a one year subscription. I looked over the other apps and wasn’t too impressed with any of them. 1Louder, I will use your affiliate link. You have made monumental contributions in support of this app and deserve to have everyone sign up using your link.
I appreciate that. Thank you.

Reactions: Mrprez

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Having been an employee working for several companies that have been acquired, these types of things usually never go well for either the customers, or the employees.

I had just let my subscription to gaia lapse, in order to try out caltopo for a year. There's definitely some things about the caltopo app I don't like, but I find the organization and layout of the app better, and easier to use. I'll keep my eye on gaia over the next year, and see what happens.
CalTopo is $50/yr to get premium layers. Not sure what they are. One blog post says "Premium layers (currently parcel data + live satellite)". If that is is no thanks. Some of the pro level subscription stuff like creating PDF's might be of value to some. You can print maps in Gaia but I don't use or need that feature.

Base membership for each is $20/yr less any discount. IMHO the Gaia Topo layer is way better than what CalTopo offers. If it works for you great.

It also looks like CalTopo increased its pricing and changed its plans as of 1/1/2021. https://caltopo.com/about/category/blog-posts/

Competition is always good. I don’t think anyone competes with the amount of map layers that Gaia offers. Depending on what sports/hobbies you participate in these additional layers may or may not be of use to “you.” For example I’m not a backcountry skier or hiker. Therefore most of the snow and avalanche data is not important to me. For those that are more active than me with their feet I think Gaia is extremely comprehensive. The hiking segment is still the largest user base with Gaia GPS. Overlanding and Offroading is 2nd though! Because of this I expect to keep seeing improvements which serve our segment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrprez

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Pathfinder II

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
It doesn’t say merge. It says incorporate. Meaning if you have the Outside Pass you will now get Gaia GPS premium features. Big difference. If you want nothing to do with what else Outside offers then you can keep what you have with Gaia.

Could this change? Of course. Not specific to you but so much pessimism here. Too bad. OB is usual a ray of sunshine in a currently fairly dark world.

For those that change platforms simply because of the announcement I find that silly. As of today nothing has changed . I doubt anything will change in the next year at least. It’s my opinion only. Otherwise I think it is great to test other platforms. I pay for a few others and always come back to Gaia. That’s me, not you, and just based on 20+ years of using GPS apps and devices.

“Over time, we will be looking to incorporate Gaia GPS premium features into the Active Pass subscription from Pocket Outdoor Media (now Outside!). The $99 membership includes hundreds of dollars in value in the form of premium digital content, magazine subscriptions, event entries and photography, training plans, recipes, books, a personalized feed, and interactive experiences with editors, pro athletes, coaches, and other experts.”
Actually something has changed... I canceled my subscription early last year... deleted the app, and told them to remove me from their mailing list... starting Tuesday my email box has been blowing up wanting to get me to use GAIA again... as I’ve told you before, the way GAIA has treated me in the past, they lost me forever, I for one am glad they got bought out, and I hope that other navigation software companies reap the benefits of the buyout.
I have since labeled GAIA as spam so my spam filter catches all correspondence from GAIA as I’m not interested.

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Actually something has changed... I canceled my subscription early last year... deleted the app, and told them to remove me from their mailing list... starting Tuesday my email box has been blowing up wanting to get me to use GAIA again... as I’ve told you before, the way GAIA has treated me in the past, they lost me forever, I for one am glad they got bought out, and I hope that other navigation software companies reap the benefits of the buyout.
I have since labeled GAIA as spam so my spam filter catches all correspondence from GAIA as I’m not interested.
You responded to a post not addressed to you but it sounds like this rant made you feel better. Why respond to Gaia posts if the app no longer interests you. You hate Gaia and that is totally cool. There’s lots of stuff I hate in this world too.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Pathfinder II

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
I actually fallow GAIA threads (as well as other navigation app threads) in hopes of one day finding the perfect app.
But once again you missed my point... you said “Nothings changed” when in fact something had changed because since I cancelled my subscription and ranted to Customer Service to remove me from their mailing list until this week I hadn’t gotten a single email... today alone I had to delete 12 GAIA emails that slipped past my spam filters... now to you that might not be a big deal, but when I rely on email notifications for communications it’s a huge deal... if I ignore an email then I no longer get notifications for my next email... I don’t have a phone, so I rely on my email for people needing to talk with me. It’s either that or every one has to get on 80m

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
I actually fallow GAIA threads (as well as other navigation app threads) in hopes of one day finding the perfect app.
But once again you missed my point... you said “Nothings changed” when in fact something had changed because since I cancelled my subscription and ranted to Customer Service to remove me from their mailing list until this week I hadn’t gotten a single email... today alone I had to delete 12 GAIA emails that slipped past my spam filters... now to you that might not be a big deal, but when I rely on email notifications for communications it’s a huge deal... if I ignore an email then I no longer get notifications for my next email... I don’t have a phone, so I rely on my email for people needing to talk with me. It’s either that or every one has to get on 80m
I'm done. I don't work for Gaia. Your issue is with them. If you have an issue with me so be it. I could look out the window and say nothing has changed and someone might argue that it isn't true because a cloud appeared. I am not here to argue or play semantics.

Getting emails from a company has nothing to do with anything the actual app does. Take it up with Gaia or don't. You may have solved the issue by changing your spam filters.

The GAIA GPS app does not send marketing emails. Whatever system they use is outside of the app. Once again since I don't work for Gaia I don't know all of the inner workings. I will try to better myself and ignore your posts going forward.

I very specifically attempted to address something Autism Family Travels said based on the press release. Nothing more nothing less.

I found the ignore button so I likely will not see any reply you might make. I don't come on here to argue with people. I also should care less what other people think I guess. Time for some fresh air and to install something on my Overland Approved rig that I probably shouldn't have spent money on.

If anyone does not like getting email from Gaia GPS you can manage your preferences here: Gaia GPS: Navigate, Track, and Explore. Third box down, notifications.

Email_Notifications___Gaia_GPS.png

Good day...

Last edited: