Gaia GPS acquired by Pocket Outdoor Media

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

DMS1

Rank I

Contributor III

Gardena
Are you sure about that? What you actually posted says Pocket Outdoor Media Acquires Outside Magazine. Where does Gaia GPS come into play?

MiamiC70

Rank IV

Member I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
N/A
Member #

“While still a fledgling company, Pocket Outdoor Media (now Outside, which we will use to refer to the corporation going forward), has acquired at least 22 leading publications and apps since its inception.

The company now oversees iconic publications SKI, Yoga Journal, Women’s Running, Triathlete, Backpacker, Climbing, Clean Eating, VeloNews, Trail Runner, FinisherPix, Warren Miller Entertainment, and Outside magazine.

This week, it also picks up Gaia GPS, a mobile mapping and navigation application for backcountry adventurers and professionals, and the cycling publication Peloton magazine.”

Reading, it’s good for you

Reactions: zr2_nomad

Mrprez

Rank II
OB1

Contributor III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Time to ditch Gaia then, this will most likely not end well, time will tell. I am surprised Garmin hasn't already bought them out.
I can’t remember the name of the app, it was several years ago, they had made their own maps and they were excellent. I bought lifetime access to them. Six months later, they were bought out and my lifetime access went kaput. I was going to sing up with Gaia this week as I have a trip in the planning stage to Moab via the TAT in April. Probably wait and see now.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Time to ditch Gaia then, this will most likely not end well, time will tell. I am surprised Garmin hasn't already bought them out.
I can’t remember the name of the app, it was several years ago, they had made their own maps and they were excellent. I bought lifetime access to them. Six months later, they were bought out and my lifetime access went kaput. I was going to sing up with Gaia this week as I have a trip in the planning stage to Moab via the TAT in April. Probably wait and see now.
Hopefully there will be no major changes. I have roughly 3 years left on a 5 year plan , but time will tell.

Reactions: Road and Mrprez

DRAX

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Ham Callsign
W9DRX
Gaia is great and I hope this acquisition results in more improvements and innovation, specifically ANDROID FRICKIN AUTO support. Gaia supports Car Play but not AA and there has been no mention of AA support coming even though Google unlocked 3rd party nav apps in AA a little while back. Gaia was great when I used an iPhone, but I'm really missing AA support since switching to Android.

Reactions: DMS1

DMS1

Rank I

Contributor III

Gardena
I have been a longtime Gaia user and beta tester, I have a lifetime Legacy Android subscription that ends Nov 8th 2116 , but I still have to pay for the premium subscription. Hope it turns out great, but history proves otherwise.

Reactions: Road

JackA

Rank I

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ownership changes do not always mean the end of a good thing. Who knows, maybe being hipped in all those magazines will increase Gaia's income and allow for addition of features and new functions.

Reactions: tundra21

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Why would you ditch a product that works well? If at some point it doesn't work well or an alternative app surpasses what Gaia GPS can do then by all means switch. Good for the owners. They started the company 10-12 years ago, worked hard to make a great app, continued to add employees, and improve the app. Things may or may not change down the road.

Mrprez

Rank II
OB1

Contributor III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Ownership changes do not always mean the end of a good thing. Who knows, maybe being hipped in all those magazines will increase Gaia's income and allow for addition of features and new functions.
Hyped? We can only hope. I sure would like to see something posted over at Gaia that talks about the sale.

Reactions: DMS1

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Hyped? We can only hope. I sure would like to see something posted over at Gaia that talks about the sale.
It was announced yesterday, and official yesterday, give it a bit... Maybe they are busy celebrating their success.

Reactions: Mrprez

1Louder

Rank VI

Steward I

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Last edited:

DMS1

Rank I

Contributor III

Gardena
Why would you ditch a product that works well? If at some point it doesn't work well or an alternative app surpasses what Gaia GPS can do then by all means switch. Good for the owners. They started the company 10-12 years ago, worked hard to make a great app, continued to add employees, and improve the app. Things may or may not change down the road.
Lots of companies buy other companies and run them and their products into the ground. Software companies are famous for it, Look up Symantec for a fine example.

Reactions: Mrprez and M Rose