FZJ80 Roof Rack

• HTML tutorial

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Check ih8mud.com for lots of 80 series stuff. Frontrunner racks are nice but $$. Cbi off road bought Prinsu, but they still sell them. Those are nice, but now Bowfin cruisers has a similar setup with a better gutter rack latch setup.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bowfin-cruisers-roof-racks-and-more.1017325/
I think they are under 900 at the time of this post.
You could also get gamviti gutter mounts or similar universal gutter mounts and make your own rack.

I did my own makeshift rack with unistrut and gutter mounts just so I could mount my awning. But soon I will be making a full aluminum rack from Tslot extrusions and 2"x 1.25" c channel for my truck when I get home. Still will be mounted to the gutter mounts I bought.
20171015_111702.jpg 20171007_145705.jpg 20171015_144709.jpg

The benefit of Frontrunner or one of the other racks offered is that they may offer accessories for different items like Jerry cans and awnings and such. Some people dont like the flat rack, they like the basket style like OB0000 has. If you make your own, you can easily save some coin, but then you have to figure out how to make accesory mounta and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I bought one of the Bowfin Cruisers racks from ih8mud and I'm very happy with it.
I had an old Connferr rack for years that served me well. Still have it in fact if you're interested!

I really like the Bowfin rack, I've adapted all my mounts for my stuff up there, I wouldn't hesitate to put a RTT up there, and for the price it cannot be beat.

20171117_124754.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

VentureOverlandCo

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lakeville MN
Member #

7-24-17 i phone 139.JPG

I really like my Prinsu Design Rack. After shipping and powder coating it was less than $1k. If you are interested in the Prinsu Design Racks, PM me. I may be able to get your a good deal on one.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I like my Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Rack. Not really cheap but not expensive either. Best thing is it’s lightweight and has a ton of accessories. I like that Bowfin Cruisers Rack too. 59A79B6B-1653-4175-8AEE-3907B8847ADA.jpeg 97CD7B97-2BE7-4C9C-98DD-901F1B44DC65.jpeg

Reactions: FJ81

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Big fan of Frontrunner because they're flat and incredibly universal. Love the folding table that slides underneath as well. I've had gobi products well which are good but they're very expensive for a steel tube rack. They have that classic expo looks.

There's a dude in Orange County I believe that makes gobi-style racks for a bargain price, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yakima bars on rain gutter mounts can do a lot, if you're patient you can find a used set on Craigslist for under $100. As soccer mom as they sound car top storage boxes can help a lot with extra gear too.. I've got a 20 year old Thule box we still use on occasion.. Not sure what your intended usage is though.

Last edited:
Reactions: lifelesstraveled

lifelesstraveled

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Chico, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Norwood
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY-19D
Big fan of Frontrunner because they're flat and incredibly universal. Love the folding table that slides underneath as well. I've had gobi products well which are good but they're very expensive for a steel tube rack. They have that classic expo looks.

There's a dude in Orange County I believe that makes gobi-style racks for a bargain price, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yakima bars on rain gutter mounts can do a lot, if you're patient you can find a used set on Craigslist for under $100. As soccer mom as they sound car top storage boxes can help a lot with extra gear too.. I've got a 20 year old Thule box we still use on occasion.. Not sure what your intended usage is though.
Any info on Gobi Style maker in Southern California?

Reactions: Wampa150

Golden Dragon

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Joles
Last Name
Laurent

where is this guy in OC?

Reactions: Go2AllThePlaces

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Whatever you do, don't cheap out, if you cannot afford a Frontrunner or an ARB style rack, then be patient, keep filling up your piggy bank until you get one. I have the Frontrunner racks, plural because I have one on the trailer and one on my 80. I think I might have paid 11 or 12 hundred for mine 8 years ago. They are now 15 hundred, not much of a price increase and shipping is still free. I bought the trailer rack used just last year for a bargain. The prinsu racks are cool looking, but just a little too cool for the classic lines of an 80 series Landcruiser. JMO. A fellow on here, not long ago stated that the price of things has doubled just in the last 2 years. It just isn't so. The price of used things has doubled if one is willing to pay because they are hooked on instant gratification. They were asking 1700 for an RTT that sold new for less than that, so be very careful with the used market.