Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Well add me to the list of 6+ million of people who filed for unemployment. Due to coronovirus sales have dropped and our company had to make some serious adjustments. There is no guarantee that after the virus and shelter in place is lift, etc. that I will be back to work. But I won't be waiting for that miracle to happen anytime soon. Getting my feelers out there (again).

There goes the modding of the rig for awhile...

Anyone else impacted, furloughed or laid off? I know I am not the only one at work, there were hundreds of others unfortunately.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

My neighbours son is an aircraft mechanic, same company for 20 years, he is laid off for 2 months minimum.
My son is a chef at a high end grocery store. The cooking end of the business is dead but the retail food floor is busier than ever.
They have several staff off on a 14 day isolation so he is busier than ever.

It is sad there are so many immature idiots out there thinking they are policemen.

Reactions: RoarinRow

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Yep! I was even considered an essential (I worked at a Collision shop), but our repairs went down drastically once NY went to non essentials to close. No one wanted to bring their cars in so the owner made the decision to Lay off 80% of the staff for the tow ins. Hope this ends soon. I'm making a fraction of what I was while on unemplotment. It was so nice lowering my credit card debt, just to be surviving off that while I'm laid off. ‍

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My neighbours son is an aircraft mechanic, same company for 20 years, he is laid off for 2 months minimum.
My son is a chef at a high end grocery store. The cooking end of the business is dead but the retail food floor is busier than ever.
They have several staff off on a 14 day isolation so he is busier than ever.

It is sad there are so many immature idiots out there thinking they are policemen.
Yeah all the 'essential' parts of the businesses are open and busy, but at the same time they are on the front lines for the virus, which is also scary.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yep! I was even considered an essential (I worked at a Collision shop), but our repairs went down drastically once NY went to non essentials to close. No one wanted to bring their cars in so the owner made the decision to Lay off 80% of the staff for the tow ins. Hope this ends soon. I'm making a fraction of what I was while on unemplotment. It was so nice lowering my credit card debt, just to be surviving off that while I'm laid off. ‍♂
Ah man you guys have it tough out there in NY. CA is not that far behind if something isn't done quickly.

Reactions: OVRLNDER

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Ah man you guys have it tough out there in NY. CA is not that far behind if something isn't done quickly.
Yea, good luck when that happens to you. I at least had a few projects that I was working on when I got laid off. It was great until I finished all them 4 days ago. Now I'm looking for projects that don't cost anything.

Reactions: Sparksalot

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I feel for you guys. I'm lucky that I am an "essential" aka "expendable". It is never easy when due to no fault of your own, you get the shaft. Hopefully some of the gov giveaways will make it your way to ease the pain.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I feel for you guys. I'm lucky that I am an "essential" aka "expendable". It is never easy when due to no fault of your own, you get the shaft. Hopefully some of the gov giveaways will make it your way to ease the pain.
Thanks Tom, yup gotta do what I have to do. Any handouts from gov giveways would be gladly accepted.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Man that sucks, especially with no tangible end in sight.

I work in the back-end operations of a bank and we have been busier than ever. Since our front line staff need has been reduced to drive up only, we have redirected the staff typically in front of customers to help with the operations work load and still need help. Help is needed on the loans side with the SBA 'Paycheck Protection' Program that was launched last night and folks going crazy refinancing their mortgages with the current low rates. Check out your local financial institutions, I bet they hiring (here in Kansas we are).

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Man that sucks, especially with no tangible end in sight.

I work in the back-end operations of a bank and we have been busier than ever. Since our front line staff need has been reduced to drive up only, we have redirected the staff typically in front of customers to help with the operations work load and still need help. Help is needed on the loans side with the SBA 'Paycheck Protection' Program that was launched last night and folks going crazy refinancing their mortgages with the current low rates. Check out your local financial institutions, I bet they hiring (here in Kansas we are).
Yeah things will change as we know it. Banks are definitely 'essential' and great for people taking advantage of the lower rates. I just refinanced in Dec.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Anyone else impacted, furloughed or laid off? I know I am not the only one at work, there were hundreds of others unfortunately.
i retired at 46 and sold my construction company and most big equipment and decided to enjoy life and live off the income of my strip malls. life was good for 6 yrs, now this. i took a 15K hit last month and now a full 20K hit for this month since every business that rents from me is shut down and not paying rent. pretty sure some of my tenants wont make it and will be gone for good and if this goes on a few more months, i'll be having to do something. construction is pretty dead here after the oil field went bust in the Gulf, so i might have to hire a voice coach and start practicing my lines: "Would you like fries with that?"
Not what I expected in my Golden Years...:rage:

This is going to be bad for a lot of people and I'm already seeing businesses that were barely making it beforehand circling the drain now and this is going to end them.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
i retired at 46 and sold my construction company and most big equipment and decided to enjoy life and live off the income of my strip malls. life was good for 6 yrs, now this. i took a 15K hit last month and now a full 20K hit for this month since every business that rents from me is shut down and not paying rent. pretty sure some of my tenants wont make it and will be gone for good and if this goes on a few more months, i'll be having to do something. construction is pretty dead here after the oil field went bust in the Gulf, so i might have to hire a voice coach and start practicing my lines: "Would you like fries with that?"
Not what I expected in my Golden Years...:rage:
That's awesome that you able to retire at 46, that's almost unheard of. I know what you mean by losing money. I'm sitting here and my 401k has lost thousands. So I don't see retiring for sometime. But right renters will be asking for delays in payment, we're hurting all around. Where can I find a voice coach? :)

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

We've got multiple people who are on voluntary self quarantine due to fear. We're still cutting back hours of employees and locations. I don't seem to be at risk. Yet. But I'm already working on plan B, C, D, E, and F as we speak. I'm not going to sit back and wait for it to happen. Very tough here in the northeast right now.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
We've got multiple people who are on voluntary self quarantine due to fear. We're still cutting back hours of employees and locations. I don't seem to be at risk. Yet. But I'm already working on plan B, C, D, E, and F as we speak. I'm not going to sit back and wait for it to happen. Very tough here in the northeast right now.
Yeah as an after thought I should of had at least Plan B. Snuck up on me...

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
I am retired and work part time at Disneyland park in Attractions
The last day of work for us, for the most part was 3/13 when Ca. Gov. Newsom said no gatherings bigger that 250 (that was then)
We are still getting paid till 4/18 but might be furloughed as of 4/19
We are union so Disney/Union might work something out (or not)
Disney is getting hit hard as all there theme parks worldwide are closed
Prepping for Un Insurance

Last edited:

shadow images

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arizona
First Name
Lynard
Last Name
Culver
Member #

I feel your pain. I am out of work till at least Aug and my wife's work just cut her pay 30%.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I am retired and work part time at Disneyland park in Attractions
The last day of work for us, for the most part was 3/13 when Ca. Gov. Newsom said no gatherings bigger that 250 (that was then)
We are still getting paid till 4/18 but might be furloughed as of 4/19
We are union so Disney/Union might work something out (or not)
Disney is getting hit hard as all there theme parks worldwide are closed
Prepping for Un Insurance
Yeah I heard about Disney. Sad.

I feel your pain. I am out of work till at least Aug and my wife's work just cut her pay 30%.
My furlough is for 8 weeks. Wife is WFH but her pay is not enough to keep us afloat for long. My upper mngt took up to 50% pay cuts. :(

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm working for a US company in Germany. We are "essential business" as we provide a wide variety of things from health care to military equipment. So most of our US employees are still working I guess.
We in Germany also still working but stopped some parts because 95% of our customers are closed.
I consider myself lucky in this situation.