40 inch Gladiator X comp tires
6 inch procomp lift
Home made rock sliders
4.88 diff gears
Front and rear Eaton true trac differentials
Wilco tire rack
Warn 12k pound rear winch.s
Smittybilt rear bumper

Pretty much moving on to accessories now. Rain gear, land anchor. May add a 100 percent duty cycle air compressor.
Have enjoyed taking it off road. 20190321_114152.jpeg20190322_090949.jpeg20190316_115124-1.jpeg1553291934359.jpeg20190309_105400.jpeg

Last edited:

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

Looks great. I like the no nonsense approach but I think you will soon learn that you are never done. [emoji16] Did you happen to make the rear bumper as well? I like the rear winch hiding in there.

Reactions: ckkphoto

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Looks great. I like the no nonsense approach but I think you will soon learn that you are never done. [emoji16] Did you happen to make the rear bumper as well? I like the rear winch hiding in there.
Front bumper is trail ready. Rear bumper is a smittybilt. We cut the tag area out to fit the winch.20190310_164120(0).jpeg

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
Great looking vehicle. How is the quality of the Wilco tire rack? I am looking at one of the truck racks.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Great looking vehicle. How is the quality of the Wilco tire rack? I am looking at one of the truck racks.
Quality is good. Tire can be aimed in or out but disassembly is required to change back and forth which is disappointing. Also have to disassemble to remove tail light assembly to change brake light.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Close to done.. .I think:

2015 F250
Trail ready front bumper
Warn 16k pound front winch
Bushwhacker cut out flares
40 inch Gladiator X comp tires
6 inch procomp lift
Home made rock sliders
4.88 diff gears
Front and rear Eaton true trac differentials
Wilco tire rack
Warn 12k pound rear winch.

Pretty much moving on to accessories now. Rain gear, land anchor. May add a 100 percent duty cycle air compressor.
Have enjoyed taking it off road. View attachment 90458View attachment 90459View attachment 90460View attachment 90461View attachment 90462
Could you give some in-depth opinions on the True Trac. Specifically the one in the front axle. Road manners, on/off road, lock up engagement, any steering bias, aka drifting or pulling to one side. Also cost and labor.

One thing I read, that was a problem in heavy rigs, that lighter vehicles did not see, was the tendency of the internal bolts backing out and ruining the diff. It was enough of a problem that they changed the thread pitch from coarse to fine I believe. I also read that it still had problems, and the fix involved disassembly, total cleaning threadlocker, and only then reassembly, before initial install.
With that said, I put one in a f 150, but never got to really use it before it went down the road. Being that it had dial hubs (Warn), I could have gone with a locker, but liked what the True-Trac offered. That geared system just seemed too offer a smoother engagement with less tendacy to snap engage, causing a sudden loss of traction.....side hill mud, or snow,.....

Looking foreword to you and others on this[emoji2]

This was the only option?, in a aluminium diff case GM 2500/3500 HD 4x4, outside of a ARB airlocker. Some sites said it was doable, others, that the unit would not quite work, due to a slight difference between Dodge and GM 9.25 in them. That IFS front just puts a big limit on your options.20181030_143928.jpeg

Last edited:

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Could you give some in-depth opinions on the True Trac. Specifically the one in the front axle. Road manners, on/off road, lock up engagement, any steering bias, aka drifting or pulling to one side. Also cost and labor.

One thing I read, that was a problem in heavy rigs, that lighter vehicles did not see, was the tendency of the internal bolts backing out and ruining the diff. It was enough of a problem that they changed the thread pitch from coarse to fine I believe. I also read that it still had problems, and the fix involved disassembly, total cleaning threadlocker, and only then reassembly, before initial install.
With that said, I put one in a f 150, but never got to really use it before it went down the road. Being that it had dial hubs (Warn), I could have gone with a locker, but liked what the True-Trac offered. That geared system just seemed too offer a smoother engagement with less tendacy to snap engage, causing a sudden loss of traction.....side hill mud, or snow,.....

Looking foreword to you and others on this[emoji2]

This was the only option?, in a aluminium diff case GM 2500/3500 HD 4x4, outside of a ARB airlocker. Some sites said it was doable, others, that the unit would not quite work, due to a slight difference between Dodge and GM 9.25 in them. That IFS front just puts a big limit on your options.View attachment 92815
I have had front and rear true tracks for two years and have had 35 inch tires on the super duty nearly all that time. I have been in mud to the frame, on ice on the highway and rocks. On and off road they have been excellent. I currently have 40 inch tires and so will see how long they last. Handling on the highway is seamless and you will not know when they are providing traction. No pulling to one side or the other ever. Off road on scrabble or with opposing tires in the air then fully selectable lockers are unmatched. BUT, I do not have to think about when to turn them on and off and a superduty will never be a rock crawler so it is a very good trade off overall. For price i will have to get back to you because I do have that but not at hand.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have had front and rear true tracks for two years and have had 35 inch tires on the super duty nearly all that time. I have been in mud to the frame, on ice on the highway and rocks. On and off road they have been excellent. I currently have 40 inch tires and so will see how long they last. Handling on the highway is seamless and you will not know when they are providing traction. No pulling to one side or the other ever. Off road on scrabble or with opposing tires in the air then fully selectable lockers are unmatched. BUT, I do not have to think about when to turn them on and off and a superduty will never be a rock crawler so it is a very good trade off overall. For price i will have to get back to you because I do have that but not at hand.
That's what attracted me in the first place, a smooth engagement. My understanding is that the big brother of the true-trac is used in many gov. snowplows for this very reason. I wish GM had never gone to the auto hub system, where one front axle is always engaged. I'm sure the Dodge boys....those that keep them for years, also wished this. The Dyna Trac conversion for their trucks, is just so much more money to spend, as was stated. Those of us who are informed, know that the vast majority of 4x4 vehicles, are really in fact 4x3.

That front wheel in the air thing, is not too much of a problem. A light touch of the brake, and your golden again. A manual will be a little more challenging, but not excessively, a Auto...easy peezy.

Last edited:

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

How do you feel about the cut out fender flares?
Frankly I am disappointed. I smashed the right rear against a tree and the fender flair is now toast. So I am removing the pickup bed altogether and putting on a flatbed.
The flairs look good and if you don't leave pavement will last years but they are a commitment since you are cutting the walls you cant go back to stock. For the price and commitment I would like them to take some abuse. They are hard abs plastic so they break instead of flex.

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

Frankly I am disappointed. I smashed the right rear against a tree and the fender flair is now toast. So I am removing the pickup bed altogether and putting on a flatbed.
The flairs look good and if you don't leave pavement will last years but they are a commitment since you are cutting the walls you cant go back to stock. For the price and commitment I would like them to take some abuse. They are hard abs plastic so they break instead of flex.
Well that’s disappointing to hear. Was playing with the idea of getting some to fit some larger tires under my truck with a level but the majority of my driving would be gravel roads/ farm roads so probably wouldn’t hold up very well. Thanks for the info though.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Well that’s disappointing to hear. Was playing with the idea of getting some to fit some larger tires under my truck with a level but the majority of my driving would be gravel roads/ farm roads so probably wouldn’t hold up very well. Thanks for the info though.
Gravel wont hurt them.