Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey folks, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the FTM-400XDR since the price is so good right now. However, I've been pretty vocal about not liking menu driven squelch vs a dedicated knob and it looks like this radio has a menu button for squelch.

I was wondering what using that was like? I like being able to just crank up or down the squelch directly when needed instead of having to access a setting. Do you just push that button and then crank the volume or adjust knobs and open or close the squelch?

Does hitting the button give you access to both VFO's squelch or do you have to adjust VFO A's then exit, select VFO B and adjust it?

Thanks for any replies. It looks like it's out of stock across the country so I'll be waiting a while for mine. No issue, my 9800 is doing ok but I think I'd like to play with APRS a little more. There isn't much Fusion or Wires-X locally so I'm not sure how much use I'll get from those features.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Surprised there hasn't been an answer yet.
Too many people still recovering from their holiday festivities or too busy trying to learn their new FTM-400 since there isn't a single one available in the country right now.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That's what I figured. I'm going to order it, I think I can learn it and if not it may wind up as a APRS weather station in the shack eventually.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks for breaking out the book Shane!

Can you adjust both vfo squelch levels at that point or just the selected vfo?

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
IIRC, once you set them individually, they stay until changed. The only thing that you'd have to adjust after that is the volume unless you change frequencies on either side. Then you'd have to set the squelch again for the frequency you swapped over to.
For instance, I usually keep the volume turned all the way down on the lower side with the squelch at 3 when I'm using APRS so I don't have to listen to the pings (they show up on the screen) and the upper at 4 or 5 to cut out as much QRM as possible and still get decent voice receive. If I'm listening to voice on both, then the squelch on both sides goes to 4 and the volume on the lower side goes 2 or three notches lower than whatever I've got the upper set at while I'm moving. If I'm sitting still and listening for weak signals, then I'll adjust squelch down and volume up accordingly, if that makes sense.
Edit to add: All you do is tap the screen to swap from upper to lower and back. The primary is going to be a brighter display. Either way, its super simple.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Well, I just clicked order. Not sure when it'll arrive. I've already sold my IC-2100H to a buddy to help fund this purchase. I've got to examine the herd and see if there's any other radios I'm willing to let go of at this time as well.

Reactions: ru108

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
I ordered my FTM 400 from Ham Radio Outlet on December 15th and of course they were out of stock but just had it delivered yesterday.

Now to install it and learn how to use it...

NinjaHippie

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Casper, WY
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7RRB
You just hit the SQL soft button on the screen and the VOL knobs become SQL knobs. Adjust as needed and poke the onscreen button again to toggle them back into VOL buttons. You can also program the outer/lower ring on the knobs to always be SQL and re-assign the onscreen button to something else. Also the buttons on the Mic can be programmed for many functions. The 400 is amazing. It's by far the best mobile I've ever owned.

FN2199S

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RGR
Ordered mine from HRO back on Jan 2. Backordered with the sale and still waiting......

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Well, I just clicked order. Not sure when it'll arrive. I've already sold my IC-2100H to a buddy to help fund this purchase. I've got to examine the herd and see if there's any other radios I'm willing to let go of at this time as well.
Terry, just catching up and saw your question and Shanes answer. I have the radio and used it on way down and back from Arizona. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will try to answer. Great little radio but does have so much that you have to train, use, go back to manual, train, use repeat. Great Net last night but missed the second round. Will catch up on the notes when you get them done. Thanks Brent

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Terry, just catching up and saw your question and Shanes answer. I have the radio and used it on way down and back from Arizona. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will try to answer. Great little radio but does have so much that you have to train, use, go back to manual, train, use repeat. Great Net last night but missed the second round. Will catch up on the notes when you get them done. Thanks Brent
Thanks Brent but I actually wound up swapping the 400 from a TM-D710G since the 400 was so back ordered.