Frontrunner boxes

• HTML tutorial

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

So now that i got my 4 frontrunner boxes and they fit perfect on the gobi rack over the jku . what do you put in yours and how do you strap separates, I have a feeling there gonna hold up fine as compared to rubber made and the like.

John van Kints

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Canton, GA
Member #

I got two, but recently bought 4 military watertight cases from auction. More rugged and of course watertight. Fit right in between wheel wells in cargo bay.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I use them for every part of my camping experenice. I use two for camp kitchen, one for inside tent, one for all wash and bathroom gear, recovery, camp lights-ropes-tie downs. Since they have great tie down points, I use simple EPDM straps. That's about all it takes.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

Very nice, I bought a bunch of ratchet straps but i think ill pick some of those as well. Thanks for the replies.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

These are also easy to label, best money spent, has been a computer enable label printer. I have a main name, and list all items in the box. Really works well, especially if you go with someone that does not know your packing system.

Reactions: Road and GHQ1

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I've bought a few surplus military style boxes over the years. Always the best bang for the buck. My most recent purchase was a large aluminum medical chest. This now holds the majority of the gear I like to have in my truck when overlanding but don't necessarily want to carry around all the time. All of them from the aluminum box to the hard plastic cases are water/dust tight and rugged as all get out.

I just ordered the Frontrunner extra large transit bag. Looked like the perfect thing to hold gear on the rack.

-Curtiss

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

So what do you store in them, since i have four i was thinking kitchen,recovery, and need some more ideas.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

So what do you store in them, since i have four i was thinking kitchen,recovery, and need some more ideas.
In one, I keep two tow straps, various small ratchet straps, a flashlight, bungee cords, a couple carabiners, a pair of Mechanix gloves, and a rain jacket. In the other is a first aid kit, a packable down blanket ($25 at Bed Bath & Beyond!), my hammock, bug spray, sandals, a couple medium size towels, and my Bear Grylls backpacking pillow.

Reactions: wandering nomad

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I find this kind of interesting that you bought the boxes and now need ideas for what to put in them. . .look around at what you want to take on adventures, with an eye towards where you're going to keep the boxes. I know you're thinking all up top now, but I'll bet that might change for one or two of them as you get out and explore more.

What I found on my most recent trip, gone for 16 weeks and 12,500 miles (with all the gear in the pic below in the trailer, and more in the van), is that my initial organization didn't change much for the wolf and cub packs, but that one of my larger Pelican cases got emptied more and stayed empty. Was mostly footwear. So that isn't even coming along next trip.

Here's a bunch of other random thoughts for you on gear and storage, from an old timer who's spent more time on the road camping and vancamping then most people have spent in their homes, going stir crazy with too much time on his hands while snow falls here on the coast of Maine.

- What to put in them? All depends on what you have for gear, where you want to keep it, and how often you want to get to it. Don't put all your heaviest shit up top; keep your center of gravity low, especially if planning to hit aggressive trails. If storing up top, keep lighter stuff like clothing, rain flys, sleeping bags, lighter dry foodstuffs, etc. If you think you might move one or two inside, then heavier items like tools, automotive, camping gear, pots & pans, firewood, just about anything really.

- If you can get to one side or one end of your roof rack easier than the other, put stuff you're going to want to get to more often in the packs stored at that side or end.

- I have three FRO Wolf Packs I usually put up top on my trailer rack in a heavy duty FRO weatherproof Transit Bag XL (hard to get zipped closed or back open, but is weathertight as all get out, I can sure vouch for that) with stuff I don't need to get to as much, or stuff that gets stowed while in camp but that I'll need when when hitting the road again. If traveling with them up on the rack, they get the light stuff like clothing I won't need. Winter clothes in summer, for example, when I'm out for months at a time. Sometimes the whole transit bag gets stowed on the trailer's tonneau cover and sometimes in camp it goes under the trailer. When strapped to the rack or tonneau cover, I use Stratch-its, also from FRO. If you've never used Stratch-its, you might like them. They are sold in pairs. I have four pair, I think. Rugged, stretch from 18" to 60" and are rated for 250 pounds. They have served me really well through all kinds of weather and long miles.

- Nice thing about the Wolf Packs, if not putting them in a Transit Bag, is how easy they are to strap down, with all the grooves formed into the lids both directions. You can also get deeper lids for Wolf Packs for $12.95 that have the same grooves, and can get wire bails to replace the plastic clasps if you prefer. The Cub Packs have sliding closures.

- In addition to the packs I keep outside, I have Wolf/Cub Packs I keep in the trailer and some I keep in my van, depending on what I have in them and how often I might need what's in them. I store everything mentioned above and more.

- Just bought their cool Monsoon Bag that is even more suited for extreme weather and fits two Cub Packs. It will be more flexible than the two Transit Bag sizes as far as using more often and getting in and out of it more often. It will more likely live in the trailer or on top of the tonneau cover when on the road, not on the rack.

- I try to keep one of the smaller Cub Packs empty for occasional housecleaning and re-organizing or just using around camp. They're wicked handy. I also have two of the FRO Flat Pack Storage Containers that I love. They just fit inside a Wolf Pack if you want, but I found they fit great, on end, in the nose box of my trailer and they're really handy in the van when I end up with more stuff, like gifts, than I have places for. They have a nice little window in which you can put a biz-card sized tag to ID contents, and they fold completely flat when not in use. I keep a lot of battery charging equipment, other electrical gear and electrical tools, fuses, zip ties, all sorts of loose odds-n-ends and solar stuff in there I've put in zip lock bags. Helps keep the nose box way more organized and I can find what I need, fast, when I need it.

*** Your system for what gear you need and where/how to store it will evolve as you get out there and use it. Stuff will naturally migrate to where it wants to live. You'll learn what you use more, what you use less, and where the storage boxes need to be if you want to be efficient and compact.

*** I would not go out and buy stuff to put in the boxes just 'cause you have the boxes. Should work the other way 'round.

I bought most of my FRO stuff at explorationoutfitters.com, a kick-ass adventure outfitter who has the most extensive list of FRO and other good stuff in their 24pg long PARTS section than anywhere else I've seen. Great place to order from, or to visit and pick up stuff in person if you're ever anywhere near the whole DFW to OKC area. Just order ahead of time to be sure it will be on hand when you arrive.

Good luck @wandering nomad, I'm sure you'll find plenty to store in your Wolf Packs! Hope you post again with how your adventures go.

See you out there somewhere, someday. . .

Road

xv2-gear-aerial_2223-700.jpg

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

My most recent purchase was a large aluminum medical chest.

I just ordered the Frontrunner extra large transit bag. Looked like the perfect thing to hold gear on the rack.

-Curtiss
Love to see your aluminum medical chest. I have a thing for containers, tool boxes, crates, etc, especially if any age to them.

I own one of the XL Transit Bags from FRO, and just used it for 16 weeks straight on the road, strapped to the rack on my trailer with three Wolf Packs inside. Very weatherproof, with a great flap all the way around that covers the zipper up completely and comes down a few inches more, and velcros, but so tight with the three Wolf Packs it was a real pain to get zipped up or to peel back the zipper cover and get the top open. Even after using for months. Will be much easier if not stretched as tight with Wolf Packs. Also ended up with slight wear spots on the bottom side of the bag at some of the corners of the Wolf Packs inside, from just the slight friction against my Rhino Rack (which is smooth, really) in travel. I put a lot of miles on it. Overall, it's a rugged bit of kit with great tie-down spots. Just bought their Monsoon Bag, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin Cadiz