Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Hey everyone, I am in the middle of my build with my 1991 F250 7.3IDI manual. I want to convert the front axle leaf springs to coil and shock so I can get more travel in my front suspension. I am keeping the back with my leaf springs because I still need the 1 ton rear end for my farm work and having to haul a lot of weight. I know it is not ideal to keep the leaf springs but I need the load capacity for every day work. So, I figure if I can at least change the front ti coil and shock that will help a lot, at least more than having all four leaf springs.

So, my question is, what are your ideas and advice for my front conversation? I need help because I know nothing about suspension. Motor and electrical I can do but I am not up to date on all the new types of suspensions. I need help! Thanks in advance and if you wouldnt mind I would love links to any part that you recommend. 20180819_204648.jpeg

projectrecon

Rank 0

Contributor I

If you fab up some arms you could uses e-250 or 350 springs. I’m not sure if you will get much more travel as your ttb arms are shorter
Than f-150/broncos arms. If I was in your situation I would look for solid axle springs(normally softer than ttb springs) and figure out
If you need lift springs to maintain you ride height. That should help with flex. Good luck.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Agile off road in San Diego Calif. used the 3/4 ton and 1 ton front axles out of the early Ford trucks for their 4x4 ford van conversions. They claim 17" of travel on their van conversions.

You should search the net for pictures and write ups on their ford van conversions. They may even have some front springs mounts you can buy.

Also search ford truck forums as swapping leaf to coil front springs has been done by some already. Benefits also include tighter turning radius and smoother ride quality.

Pretty sure the easiest way for you to go/start is to buy a front end and suspension pieces including mounts off a scraped truck.

Last edited:

Super_Duty

Rank IV

Influencer II

TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ryl
Member #

Try giving full traction a call , they have been doing coil conversions for f 250 trucks fro a while.