Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I am getting my Technicians license in mid January, and was curious to know if there was any mounts for antennas that would attach to a Slimeline II rack? I didn't see any on the web page when I last looked, but was curious if anyone had fabricated one or repurposed another mounting bracket to fit this need?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I saw someone with the mount and all they did was run a ground wire from the base and attached it to the rack making it long enough so it could move. He had ground off the coating to get good contact. From what he said it worked great.
That’s good to know. I will probably end up with 2 of these mounts, one for my dual band, one for my 3db gmrs antenna. I’m looking forward to trying it.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Reactions: Tim

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Reactions: darjo242 and TerryD

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Instead of just a wire, you should probably use a flat strap. You should also put a couple straps from the rack to the top of your vehicle to tie it together electrically.

This is a great example of how to use roof rack mounted antennas.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/142449-mr-bills-dephep-roof-rack-modifications-antenna-mounts-ham-cb.html#/topics/142449
Does anyone else have problems finding ground straps now? Or is it just this area? I have a hard time even finding one for a battery ground. I like to hold stuff in my hands before I buy it, but I’m going to have to order some of these!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Does anyone else have problems finding ground straps now? Or is it just this area? I have a hard time even finding one for a battery ground. I like to hold stuff in my hands before I buy it, but I’m going to have to order some of these!
Fry's Electronics sells them, if you have one of those in your area.