Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I know this has been talked about in another thread a few years ago but my question is a little different.
if I need a recovery using the factory tie down/tow hooks, and use the shackles parallel to the frame, do you think the hooks will bend or snap? Is this an acceptable more affordable recovery method to rely on for a while, or do I need to invest in bolt on recovery points?
I have the rear receiver recovery point and shackle for the rear. Thanks

Attachments

bullpengarage

Rank 0

Contributor I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rauch
I personally wouldn't trust the hooks that are used to strap the 4Runner down during shipping from the factory - instead look into the options from ARB, Apex or Treaty Oak.

Reactions: Zappe and Boort

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I personally wouldn't trust the hooks that are used to strap the 4Runner down during shipping from the factory - instead look into the options from ARB, Apex or Treaty Oak.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out what they all sell!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I know this has been talked about in another thread a few years ago but my question is a little different.
if I need a recovery using the factory tie down/tow hooks, and use the shackles parallel to the frame, do you think the hooks will bend or snap? Is this an acceptable more affordable recovery method to rely on for a while, or do I need to invest in bolt on recovery points?
@NoCo4Rnr

When asking questions like your's above I was met with 2 camps:
1) Factory Tie down loops are for securing the rig for shipping and were not designed for the rigors of plucking the rig during a recovery.
2) Late Model 4th Gens (06-09) were welded differently than the early models. The loops going through in 2 places per side and fully welded at all 4 locations and should be aceptable for a winch recovery when using a bridle across both front loops.

I have the Apex Overland Recovery Points on my 4th Gen. so I went down the better safe than sorry route. You may also taylor your decision based on your rig and any previous accident damage in the area or rust.

Boort

Reactions: Charles M

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I hadn’t considered a bridle, good idea.
I do like the recovery points from Apex Overland and noticed that they are sold out of their current batch right now.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I hadn’t considered a bridle, good idea.
I do like the recovery points from Apex Overland and noticed that they are sold out of their current batch right now.
IIRC they usually build in batches of 5 or 10 and make announcements on their social media pages when available. I was able to get them thanks to someone on T4r.org who mirrored the post to their forum. was only about a month wait to place the order and they were real easy to deal with when the stock was available. Also quick to answer my questions during installation. (I prefer this over the Gobi / Pelfery model of pay us up front and we'll tell you when yours is ready, if we don't take the $$$ and run first.) Took me about 2.5 hours to install them, but that was me being careful as I'm not overly familiar with all of the moving parts of my 4Runner's front end. :D
Boort

Reactions: Zappe

SoCalGX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Buffalo Bayou Garage sells some fairly economical rated recovery points for 4th and 5th gen 4Runners. I have a set on my GX460 and they’re nice and solid.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Buffalo Bayou Garage sells some fairly economical rated recovery points for 4th and 5th gen 4Runners. I have a set on my GX460 and they’re nice and solid.

Thanks for sharing, I’ll check them out too.

DiscoCam

Rank 0

Contributor I

SF Bay Area
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
R
Member #

I was thinking of doing the same on my 2016 4Runner a while back. But after looking into it a bit more I found out that they do have a history of snapping off when used for recovery. I remember seeing a picture of a broken one on another forum but I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment.

Reactions: Zappe

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I was thinking of doing the same on my 2016 4Runner a while back. But after looking into it a bit more I found out that they do have a history of snapping off when used for recovery. I remember seeing a picture of a broken one on another forum but I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment.
Thanks for bringing that up! Good insight.

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

If you're still in the market, I went with the Treaty Oak Front Recovery Points. They seem pretty strong.

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I don't believe those are recovery points. Can you use them to secure a kayak, for example, on your roof rack yes. See what the manual says. The same applies to m FJ Cruiser. The ones in back were bolt in versions. Removed when I upgrade to a metal bumper.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

There's a 5th gen 4runner around the corner from me that attached d-shackles to those tie-down loops located in the front. I would not want to be anywhere near that vehicle when they need to yank it out of some mud.

Reactions: Zappe and 1Louder

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

If you're still in the market, I went with the Treaty Oak Front Recovery Points. They seem pretty strong.
I’ll look them up because that’s what I need to do instead of waiting for the day that I have to be pulled out with the shackles attached to my recovery points. Thanks

Reactions: JersT4R