Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
I am researching front bumpers and would like to understand how to select one for an overland rig. They can be pretty expensive and I don't want to have to replace it at any point because I didn't consider something. Here are my observations thus far:
(1) Prices are all over the board ($600 to $3,600)
(2) Many manufacturers -- some that specialize in bumpers and some that provide a wealth of overland products
(3) Aluminum seems to be increasing in popularity but certainly less rigid/tough than steel
(4) Many bumpers lock you into lighting configurations and even specific lights

What questions do I need to answer? Which manufacturers make good products?

My rig is a 2016 Tundra but I am more interested in the process of selection for anybody who is looking for a front bumper. My specific application on this rig will be general overlanding on a daily driver.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

First you need to consider weight, if you go too heavy youll be chasing that problem with a new suspension up front to handle the weight. Next do you really need it? Do you drive into trees and boulders alot? Do you want the bumper just for use of a winch( if this there are lighter options). Then there is price most steel bumpers are between $700 and $3000 now figure up what a new oem bumper costs and any parts that would be damaged in an low speed impact, see if it would cost more to replace the stock stuff after an impact or would it cost less to get a steel bumper.

Kind of how my thought process goes on should i or shouldnt i. Just come up with a list of pros and cons to having a steel bumper, personally im not a fan of most of them too much money to have worse gas mileage and wears down tires quicker.

Reactions: Bilbo

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If it has integrated recovery points make certain that theycconnect directly to the frame and/or the attachment point at the bumper is adequate to support the load.

Cosmetic does not equal functional in many cases. Establish function first, then refine your choices based on cosmetics and material choices.

I've seen substantial recovery points 3/4 to 1.0" material welded to 3/16" bumper skin. And torn off the same. There are tons of poorly constructed Jeep (I know your working on Toyota) bumpers out there that are 99% cosmetic and 1% function.

Is the bumper also going to be a winch mount?

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
If it has integrated recovery points make certain that theycconnect directly to the frame and/or the attachment point at the bumper is adequate to support the load.

Cosmetic does not equal functional in many cases. Establish function first, then refine your choices based on cosmetics and material choices.

I've seen substantial recovery points 3/4 to 1.0" material welded to 3/16" bumper skin. And torn off the same. There are tons of poorly constructed Jeep (I know your working on Toyota) bumpers out there that are 99% cosmetic and 1% function.

Is the bumper also going to be a winch mount?
I am definitely going with function over form but I 've got to say some of these bumpers are really ugly!

I am wanting to get a winch at some point to pull myself and others out of trouble on the trail. I haven't done much research on models but Warn seems to be a reliable choice.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I would make a list with priorities.
Then, choose the lightest bumper that suits your needs.
And obviously don't hurt your eyes...
Not sure about your needs?
Well than use your stock bumper and experience the problems it causes.