chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
So I have posted a couple of versions of my home made storage platform with cooler/fridge slide out shelf here in the past. It has worked out great for my cooler. However, I now have a fridge and one thing that I'm trying to figure out is a better way to handle the power cable when sliding it in/out. I don't want it getting pulled out and me not to realize it, it getting it pinched in the slide, etc. I work in a data center and we have telescoping cable management arms on the servers to handle this for server cables. They're a little too big to use for this application, so I might design something similar, but smaller. I'm looking for other options as well, so post up what you have or let me know how you handle the cables on your fridge. of course, DIY is always fun!

Oh, I've read through several posts on different forums, but haven't had any luck with this solution. Everyone just seems to have slide and no way to manage the cables shown. Even commercial slides seem to be missing this component. Maybe I'm just overthinking it...

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Look for "cable carriers" . they are used in machinery that has sliding mechanisms...

Reactions: chris_nc

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Look for "cable carriers" . they are used in machinery that has sliding mechanisms...

Cool, thanks. I hadn't thought about those "linked" cable carriers. I actually need to place an order with McMaster Carr for some other stuff, so I might just add those as well. I like that you can get it at various sizes, and can customize the length too.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I use a bungee cord to pull my cable out of the way, but my fridge is under a tonneau cover on my truck which helps. Also, if you don’t have one, ARB makes a locking 12v plug that securely connects your fridge and prevents it from accidentally disconnecting. I didn’t use the mount, but just replaced the socket in my rear power panel. The ARB fridge cord plug fit my Dometic fridge as well, easy.

ARB 10900028 Threaded Socket/Surface Mount Outlet
10E9C136-32D1-4B71-AA49-73A979B180CD.jpeg

Last edited: