Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Last night I finally bit the bullet and bought a Whynter 62qt dual zone. It was the right price and size for me as my first fridge. I'm currently driving a car with a single starter battery. Next weekend I'm driving for 2 days to visit family and I'm trying to figure out how to keep the fridge running overnight while I'm sleeping in the hotel so I don't have to figure out a way to haul it to the room with me.

What I'm curious about is this. Can I get a Weego 44 or Noco, a 12V DC adapter, and use the jump starter to power the fridge overnight, then plug it back into my car's 12V when I'm back on the road?

The other option I'm looking at is buying a Yellow Top and putting it in the back seat to connect the fridge to overnight. In my head, this is probably a better option, but I'm looking for opinions from people who're more experienced in all this than I am.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
First thing you need to do is look at the specs and find out both parties and contact per draw.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Ok, if I'm understanding you correctly here's what I've found.

Whynter fridge:
Running current (A): DC 5/2.5
DC Power Consumption: 39.2ºF refrigerator:25.8Ah
10.4ºF freezer:49.2Ah
-0.4ºF freezer:62.1Ah​

Weego 44:
12V accessory power: 12V/10A
Peak current: 200A/400A
Battery capacity: 41Wh
Max output: 5, 9, 12V/2.4A, 12V/10A, 19V/3.5A​

Noco GB70:
12V output: 12V, 15A
Peak current rating: 2000A​

It's proving difficult finding more detailed specs on the Noco.

Based on what I could find, I'm thinking it might be wiser to go with the Optima Yellow Top and either connect the fridge directly to the battery overnight or connect a power inverter to the battery then plug the fridge into the inverter.

Still open to suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Don't use jump starters as high current source. Waste of money. Meant to jump car and power USB. Noco crap. Many yt videos confirm. Fully charged battery inback will get you by cause your not opening fridge. Will need proper charge and setup after to use properly. You've got the fridge before the cart so to speak! Take time and for it right. Get a dual setup using new battery. Do it right! Lots of users here to go the dual route. Can be done with battery in box with the hardware and a remote cable to starter battery neatly. Don't rush!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeepney

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

The deep cycle next to the fridge and charging it option will probably be your best option for a temporary fix, depending on the outside temperature, it would probably last two days before needing to plug it in to a charger, mine does without starting the truck anyway. I don't know if I'd buy a optima yellow top though. My interstate deep cycle has been going strong for quite awhile and is cheaper. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, which might make setting up a dual battery system by next weekend tricky. My 2015 Tacoma was cheap and easy to do with home fabed brackets. I used a blue sea marine battery isolator and heavy duty truck breakers for mine. I think I have about $150-200 into it plus the battery. Depending on the vehicle, there is a ton of information on home built dual battery setups that are cheap and effective. It is actually pretty easy, even for those electrically challenged like me. Plus it's nice to understand what's going on in case there's an issue. Running a fridge, you definitely should do this. Once you go fridge, you'll never go back to a cooler...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: W4P

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Don't use jump starters as high current source. Waste of money. Meant to jump car and power USB. Noco crap. Many yt videos confirm. Fully charged battery inback will get you by cause your not opening fridge. Will need proper charge and setup after to use properly. You've got the fridge before the cart so to speak! Take time and for it right. Get a dual setup using new battery. Do it right! Lots of users here to go the dual route. Can be done with battery in box with the hardware and a remote cable to starter battery neatly. Don't rush!!!
Good point. I am rushing a little bit and generally prefer to do things the right way. Thanks for the reality check.

Reactions: W4P

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

The deep cycle next to the fridge and charging it option will probably be your best option for a temporary fix, depending on the outside temperature, it would probably last two days before needing to plug it in to a charger, mine does without starting the truck anyway.
I'll be going through northern CA, NV, Utah, then up through Idaho and Montana. I only need power for one night.

I don't know if I'd buy a optima yellow top though. My interstate deep cycle has been going strong for quite awhile and is cheaper.
Marketing man, it's killing my wallet ;)

I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, which might make setting up a dual battery system by next weekend tricky. My 2015 Tacoma was cheap and easy to do with home fabed brackets. I used a blue sea marine battery isolator and heavy duty truck breakers for mine. I think I have about $150-200 into it plus the battery. Depending on the vehicle, there is a ton of information on home built dual battery setups that are cheap and effective.
I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy right now. Not an overlanding rig or a vehicle I want to turn into one. Best case scenario I have it for another 6 months before it's gone.

It is actually pretty easy, even for those electrically challenged like me. Plus it's nice to understand what's going on in case there's an issue. Running a fridge, you definitely should do this. Once you go fridge, you'll never go back to a cooler...
I'm not scared of doing the work, I'm more scared of missing an important piece. This is all new to me. I got the fridge to replace two coolers and dry ice from my previous trips. There will be camping while I'm away too, and it would be a real treat to bring ice cream along :blush:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I'll be going through northern CA, NV, Utah, then up through Idaho and Montana. I only need power for one night.

Marketing man, it's killing my wallet ;)

I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy right now. Not an overlanding rig or a vehicle I want to turn into one. Best case scenario I have it for another 6 months before it's gone.

I'm not scared of doing the work, I'm more scared of missing an important piece. This is all new to me. I got the fridge to replace two coolers and dry ice from my previous trips. There will be camping while I'm away too, and it would be a real treat to bring ice cream along :blush:
Sounds like you'd be fine with a deep cycle then for this trip if you can charge it up once in awhile. Dry, consistently cold food is awesome while on a trip! If on a longer trip I keep a small yeti with beers on ice and pack the fridge with food, plus it's nice to have ice for cocktails! On overnight trips I have put food in a cooler and brought ice cream for the next day to surprise everyone on a hot day. I plug my fridge into the house the night before leaving to pre cool the fridge and to keep from wasting battery life cooling a warm fridge, and it's one less thing to pack in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

That Whytner looks like it pulls about double the power as my Engel but for just overnight you should be fine with just your standard car battery. Swap it out to a deep cycle / starting battery if you want some extra insurance. I would not bother adding a second battery for only overnight power.

Run the fridge at a colder temp all day while driving and turn it down to a more conservative temp for the night. It may not even cycle depending on the ambient temp.

Do any of those fridges have an automatic turn off option when they sense a low voltage?

Reactions: tom

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Sounds like you'd be fine with a deep cycle then for this trip if you can charge it up once in awhile.
I've taken a step back on all this, so I don't half-ass it and break something. The hotel I'm staying at is big enough to have those rolling carts. As much as I don't want to wheel it back and forth, I can.

Dry, consistently cold food is awesome while on a trip! If on a longer trip I keep a small yeti with beers on ice and pack the fridge with food, plus it's nice to have ice for cocktails! On overnight trips I have put food in a cooler and brought ice cream for the next day to surprise everyone on a hot day.
Didn't even think about ice for cocktails. Yup, that's going to have to happen now.

I plug my fridge into the house the night before leaving to pre cool the fridge and to keep from wasting battery life cooling a warm fridge, and it's one less thing to pack in the morning.
Smart. It should arrive a couple days before I leave, so I'll definitely do this.

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

That Whytner looks like it pulls about double the power as my Engel but for just overnight you should be fine with just your standard car battery. Swap it out to a deep cycle / starting battery if you want some extra insurance. I would not bother adding a second battery for only overnight power.

Run the fridge at a colder temp all day while driving and turn it down to a more conservative temp for the night. It may not even cycle depending on the ambient temp.

Do any of those fridges have an automatic turn off option when they sense a low voltage?
There is a setting on the Whynter for battery shut off. The manual says:

Battery cut-out voltage setting:
This function sets the minimum voltage that the unit will run. Press the SET
button 3 times to set the Battery cut-out voltage. To select different cut-out
voltage (10V/ 10.7V/ 11.8V), press the +/- buttons.​

I'll set that before I leave.

Good advice on colder temps while driving and a little warmer through the night. Thanks.