Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
right been looking at the following thought id ask you lot down under
Iron man
Arb
Waco
Thinking about 40 ltr Any info. Thoughts.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

I have ARB 47 litre and works great. Touch wood.

I actually use the fridge everyday. I cannot see why I need to run a house fridge when I only have a bottle of milk, butter and some steaks/sausages in the fridge.

I was looking at one of the Bushman 35, 42, 45 and 52 litres in one fridges.

http://www.bushman.com.au/

Colin

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Dometic/Waeco makes the ARB fridge.

Been very happy with mine.
Think we get the old models over here lol There are a few availible theres a cooler aluminium its a good price but its only a cooler. I am only running a single battery at the moment But the iron man option has a setting to overcome this do you know anything about them

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forest Lake, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

right been looking at the following thought id ask you lot down under
Iron man
Arb
Waco
Thinking about 40 ltr Any info. Thoughts.
Hi,
I have two fridges. One is a 15 year old Waeco 45lt in the Jeep and the other a Primus 65lt dual zone in the camper. The Waeco has been a good performer but uses a bit more power with its age. The Primus is great for its flexibility as it can be set to two fridges, fridge and freezer or two freezers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using OB Talk mobile app

Adamj

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have an ironman and its good, it is just an old model Waceo anyway. Draws a bit more power then say an engel but for the price at the time it was the best value. I would go Engel first the ARB then Waceo then Ironman in choice.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I have an ironman and its good, it is just an old model Waceo anyway. Draws a bit more power then say an engel but for the price at the time it was the best value. I would go Engel first the ARB then Waceo then Ironman in choice.
Interesting ill look for engles now

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have a 50L National Luna, it's a divided fridge freezer but can be run as a freezer and deep freezer too.

It has a small footprint - I have it in a 40L fridge MSA drop slide.

Running constantly (in landcruiser or in house) for the past few years

Recommended

Reactions: AndyH

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

I have a 40lt ARB permanently in the Jeep and has been good to me. I also have a 95lt Waeco which I now use as a 2nd fridge in the house and also have a 60lt Evakool in my Patriot camper. The Waeco used to travel in my box trailer when out camping before we got the Patriot. One of the cool things (excuse the pun) about the Evakool's is that if they ever stuff up you can always use them as an esky due to their inner construction and the fact the motor sits outside. The box compartment itself is essential an esky which will keep you beer cold for days if filled with ice :)

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think most of the major brands are going to work just fine, but for me the think to look at is just how it fits where you want to put it and how it opens up. They all seem to have different lids and latches and such. Depending on how you plan to access it, the lid seems like the most important thing to choose. I personally prefer the ease of opening and closing the ARB. I also like how easy the entire lid pops off, but I don't usually have to remove it.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I got the 47 qt. ARB in Dec 2012. It's seen good use over the years, but last month it went wonky and stopped regulating the temperature. It would get a cold as possible. ARB has a 3 year warranty, so mine was out of it. But, after talking to Ryan in the Tech Dept. and sending a pic of the sticker with the serial number and a copy of my receipt, he sent me a box of parts for free.

I assumed it was the thermistor that went bad. That's the probe under the fridge that senses the temp and sends the signal to the computer. In older model ARB's (they have a yellow display) you have to cut a hole in the plastic, and remove some insulation to find the thermistor. Then cut it off and splice in a new end. Thankfully ARB changed that design and added a tube through the foam. You just have to remove the back cover, unplug the connector and pull out the thermistor. Replacement is the opposite. After doing that and going to lunch, the fridge still dropped the temp to single digits. We decided to test the old one with a multimeter and it seemed to work. The MM was set to Ohms. As I held the tip in my hand getting it warmer, the resistance dropped.

So the power circuit board and board behind the front panel were replaced. I don't think that power board changed anything, but there is a chip on the front panel board. The power board was a straight forward replacement. The front panel board was a p.i.t.a. To get access behind the front panel you have to remove the 6 caps along the blue plastic piece and remove the screws. There's almost no access to the corner screws because of the angle it's mounted and the wires connecting it. I used a flat head screw driver and slowly got the philips head screws to rotate 90* at a time.

Everything was buttoned up and on the drive home it seemed to maintain the temp. I did another test all day yesterday, with a 2 hour drive, 4 hour running off the battery, and a 2 hour drive home. Everything is working like normal again!

I think the failure was due to water ingress during the most intense rain storm of the season back in January. It rained about 3" in a 24 hour period. I remember the front of the fridge having water on it from a bad cargo door seal that morning, when the temp read -4*F on the front panel. I'm going to call ARB tomorrow and see if they will also send replacements for the plastic screw caps that got destroyed during removal.

Why go into all this detail? Well customer service. ARB is known for it, and I've heard many other stories where they go above and beyond to help their customers. That's a big consideration when shopping for something as pricey as a fridge.