Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Warrenton, Virginia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

I just want to make sure everyone is aware of a new policy from the Department of the Interior. Veterans and gold star families will now qualify for free America the Beautiful passes good for admission to all national parks, etc. It sounds like you need only some form of documentation proving your status. It's not clear to me whether this is a lifetime pass, like seniors receive, or a standard interagency annual pass.

Either way, I am excited to hear the news because it is going to save me $80 per year. I plan on getting mine this weekend or next.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Great info, looks like a life time pass for disabled vets.
We have already had life time passes as DVs. 10% Service Connected and higher. I got my pass back in 2013 when I got discharged... my Brother has had his since 2008 when he was boarded as well. My Dad has had his since the early 1980’s.

Reactions: Dilldog

Robert Dooley

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Warrenton, Virginia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

So I went by Shenandoah National Park last weekend and spoke to the ranger at the front gate about it. It is free lifetime annual passes for veterans, disabled or not. In other words, any prior service member can get one and they expire every year like the normal annual interagency park pass that costs just shy of $100.

Happy trails.

Reactions: Dilldog

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I went by Shenandoah National Park last weekend and spoke to the ranger at the front gate about it. It is free lifetime annual passes for veterans, disabled or not. In other words, any prior service member can get one and they expire every year like the normal annual interagency park pass that costs just shy of $100.

Happy trails.
So it’s not a Lifetime Pass like the DV’s get?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

It is a yearly renewable pass, just as if you were going to buy one, but its free. So yes, it is a lifetime pass, but it expires every year.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It is a yearly renewable pass, just as if you were going to buy one, but its free. So yes, it is a lifetime pass, but it expires every year.
Yea the lifetime pass is just that lifetime, no expiration, so no need to reapply every year. But yes you answered my question.