Forest Fires in NC, TN, & GA

• HTML tutorial

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

No camping for us this weekend because of all the fires that have pretty much all of north Georgia covered in heavy smoke. I read that NASA images showed 30 separate wildfires across the region today (Thursday).

Just curious how this is affecting y'all?

Oh yeah, they've upped their burn ban to include established campsites with metal fire rings.
The smoke is starting to come in to the greensboro area, Some friends and I had a trip planned up to Brown Mountain Trail but the report from that area isn't looking too good.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Yeah, Pisgah, Nantahala, & Chattahoochee NFs are all impacted. The fact that these were started by arsonists grinds my gears.
That's what pisses me off too. If they wanted to light something on fire why couldn't they light themselves on fire instead of hurting Mother Nature?

Enthusiast III

Here in Chattanooga TN the smoke has been really bad for the last 2 weeks. Downtown got so bad it was difficult to see nearby buildings. We had planned on doing the Georgia Traverse this last weekend, but we had to cancel due to so many wildfires on our planned path.

Reactions: Barton Fink

Enthusiast III

Every year my family leads a weekend youth trip to teach them rock climbing and rappelling. This year it fell on the last weekend of October in northern Alabama. It wasn't nearly as much fun without campfires, but it's been so dry! Definitely not worth starting even more wildfires.