Enthusiast III

Stony Plain, AB
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Hey there,

I have a 2018 Ford Transit 350 undergoing a Quigley conversion including their 2" lift.

The plan is to do a tire upgrade once it arrives.

My initial thoughts are to go from the stock 235/65SR16 to a Goodyear Duratrac in 255/70R16. So roughly a 28" diameter to a 30" diameter.

The problem is that the speedo will obviously be inaccurate.

Does anyone know if there's a speedo calibrator available for the Ford Transit?

Thanks!

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

In talking with Ford, about super singles... They highly discouraged me from changing the wheel and tire size and he said, "We have warranty repaired several real axles due to a change in tire, wheel changes" end quote. So I went into the local tire shop (unnamed) and asked "What is the largest Tire, I can put on this rim?" He said "None" You'll have to change wheels. So I again saked if there is a Super Single replacement for the dually's. He said NO. So I am back to our starting point.

I too had conversations with Quigley and they won't give advice regarding wheels and tires and said that they don't want to lose the after-market status with Ford. DG

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I am building a Transit with the Quadvan 4wd setup for SEMA 2019 and my goal is 33's....
on the FordTransitUSA forum there are a bunch of folks with 4wd conversions who are doing well on 30, 31 & 32's....not finding many with 33's.
However I am pretty sure with max pinch weld cutting and shaping up front it can happen.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Seventhstream

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Albany, CA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I am building a Transit with the Quadvan 4wd setup for SEMA 2019 and my goal is 33's....
on the FordTransitUSA forum there are a bunch of folks with 4wd conversions who are doing well on 30, 31 & 32's....not finding many with 33's.
However I am pretty sure with max pinch weld cutting and shaping up front it can happen.
I like your thinking! I have an appointment to get a Quadvan conversion in April. Any comments/advice for me prior to conversion? thanks!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you really really really want 33" or bigger there is a way, its called an axle swap. Sometimes with custom stuff you just have to throw that warranty out the window.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I like your thinking! I have an appointment to get a Quadvan conversion in April. Any comments/advice for me prior to conversion? thanks!
John will talk your ears off, great guy once you have him going but hard to pin down by email/ohone but once you have him keep things on track :)

Don't go 33in tires :) I love love mine but I know John tries hard to talk people out of it and now I know why.
I have over 30k miles and I get front rubbing on lock and it did hit my mpg. Not to mention the metal work and plastic trimmng required.
32's would be fine for most people,
Upgrade the front shocks to the Bilstien B6, I wish there was better but that is all that you can do.
Upgrade the rear shock mounts so they don't catch (low hanging) and I do lots of washboard so resi shocks were worth it.
Also the transfer case shifter gets installed right in the middle of the space between the seats, I would ask them to bias it as much towards the driver as possible just to keep that space open.

I am not sure how much you will "wheel" your van, I use mine pretty hard and the skids plates are worth every penny. I tend to go places most folks won't believe with my low roof short wheelbase poptop.

Reactions: Seventhstream

Seventhstream

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Albany, CA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

John will talk your ears off, great guy once you have him going but hard to pin down by email/ohone but once you have him keep things on track :)

Don't go 33in tires :) I love love mine but I know John tries hard to talk people out of it and now I know why.
I have over 30k miles and I get front rubbing on lock and it did hit my mpg. Not to mention the metal work and plastic trimmng required.
32's would be fine for most people,
Upgrade the front shocks to the Bilstien B6, I wish there was better but that is all that you can do.
Upgrade the rear shock mounts so they don't catch (low hanging) and I do lots of washboard so resi shocks were worth it.
Also the transfer case shifter gets installed right in the middle of the space between the seats, I would ask them to bias it as much towards the driver as possible just to keep that space open.

I am not sure how much you will "wheel" your van, I use mine pretty hard and the skids plates are worth every penny. I tend to go places most folks won't believe with my low roof short wheelbase poptop.
thank you! probably not going to do much "wheeling", but want something to give me confidence on the beach and out in the woods.