Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

I came across a video that someone posted on the /r/4Runner sub-reddit. It's a video from the Ford YouTube channel of their comparison of the '17 Explorer vs '17 4Runner. As a proud owner of a '10 T4R, I was intrigued by what the Ford's arguing points would be for the Explorer. The answer speaks for itself lol...

Now, to be fair, both vehicle admittedly have their pros and cons, but seriously lol?

Reddit link:
https://redd.it/6zkewk

*Note* I'm not bashing Ford vehicles

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Hate this type of marketing, like Chevy bashing the F150 for using aluminum... just let your product speak for itself and stop with the embarrassing desperate attempts.

Reactions: archee29

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Pretty easy to see what vehicles are still around after 200,000+ miles with minimal repairs and still retaining value. But if kicking your bumper to get the hatch to open is important to you, have at it I guess... I have had trucks I had to kick to get the door to stay shut though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

archee29

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

@Lintnercorey True, everyone will value different items when purchasing a vehicle. Idk, if you shop often, I can understand how that auto rear hatch can be appealing. It might seem gimmicky to me, and these items seem like poor reasons to choose one vehicle over another. Many more important contributing factors imo.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

All the automatic tail gates bother me. They are slow. My LR4 has a button to release the upper tailgate and another to lower the lower tailgate, but its fast. I don't have to wait for motors. It's click, 1 second, gas struts have it open. I'd much rather have that then 5+ seconds to wait.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

As a die hard Ford guy I'm shocked that they would compare the two.... The explorer is not really meant to go offroad. It snot a overland style vehicle... Now as far as the automatic rear tailgate I'm sure my wife would love that since shes always has a kid hitched to her side...

Now that being said.... I'm hopefully that the new Bronco coming out next year will be a contender to the TRD offroad 4runner... and... after seeing the new Ranger Raptor video a few days ago I'm sure that it wont disappoint...... #crossingmyfingers.....

-Raul

archee29

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

@Raul B Ya, my parents love the auto tailgate on their Escape. I'm not a fan of it myself, but eh, if they like it, I have no problem w/ it.

A Ranger Raptor? I didn't even know that was gonna be a thing for 2018. That should be pretty cool. I haven't taken a look at the new O.J. mobile tho (too soon? :neutral:).

Also, my dad just ordered a new F-150 to build his own Overland Vehicle. How do you like yours?

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Pretty easy to see what vehicles are still around after 200,000+ miles with minimal repairs and still retaining value. But if kicking your bumper to get the hatch to open is important to you, have at it I guess... I have had trucks I had to kick to get the door to stay shut though.

To be fair, sometimes a specific model of vehicle not lasting as long can be indicative of the type of person who buys it rather than the quality of the automobile (e.g. people who don't know anything about auto maintenance may be more likely to buy one brand versus another thus skewing the dataset).

Clearly the Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner are entirely different market segments (unless you consider people who want to look like they are able to go off-roading in the same segment as people who actually do).

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

To be fair, not everyone driving a 4runner is an overlander/offroader. And this ad is clearly not stating the explorer is a better off road vehicle. Its aim is to show that the explorer has more standard creature comforts. Which might make it a better option for someone in the market for a larger vehicle that they don't take off road.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

To be fair, sometimes a specific model of vehicle not lasting as long can be indicative of the type of person who buys it rather than the quality of the automobile (e.g. people who don't know anything about auto maintenance may be more likely to buy one brand versus another thus skewing the dataset).

Clearly the Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner are entirely different market segments (unless you consider people who want to look like they are able to go off-roading in the same segment as people who actually do).
Even knowing zero about vehicles it's pretty easy to see what vehicles are still commanding a high price used with 200k miles on the odo. It really shows how easily people are swayed by marketing. Like buying "American" because the company is headquartered in America though they're made in Mexico, etc... it's sad how a little research by someone with no knowledge or interest in vehicles can do to save themselves a lot of money and headaches can do, but they instead are so easily swayed by a great ad campaign and a few gadgets.

TheDistanceBetween

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Scottsboro, Alabama
Member #

All the automatic tail gates bother me. They are slow. My LR4 has a button to release the upper tailgate and another to lower the lower tailgate, but its fast. I don't have to wait for motors. It's click, 1 second, gas struts have it open. I'd much rather have that then 5+ seconds to wait.
First world probs

never stop exploring

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
My 4Runner goes to the mall nicely too (without me in it of course), but that's not why I bought it. Would like to see this POS on the the way to the Dollhouse. Like comparing bananas with buffaloes.