Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
We got out of a cell service area yesterday and were able to test out the spot x, I wanted to be proactive rather than learn how to use it in a true emergency situation. I was able to communicate via text with our daughter, the unit worked great and was actually faster than expected. I would recommend the purchase

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I wanted to be proactive rather than learn how to use it in a true emergency situation.
This is a good approach. Because in my opinion it is better to deal with the important things about safety, emergency and first aid topics on travel sufficiently in advance and then travel relaxed! Thanks for sharing your experience with the SPOT X.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This is a good approach. Because in my opinion it is better to deal with the important things about safety, emergency and first aid topics on travel sufficiently in advance and then travel relaxed! Thanks for sharing your experience with the SPOT X.
Totally agree! Always test out seldom used electronical gear before leaving for a big trip where it might matter.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I wanted to be proactive rather than learn how to use it in a true emergency situation.

It always pays off when it needs to, never when you don’t need it to.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have been readying a new Ras Pi for the truck and part of that is the Iridium goop. Been sending Iridium based SMS messages and receiving replies from the basement! So my stuff is working! Now to get it all mounted in the truck permanently... Need to find a new power supply for the more power hungry pi.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I have been readying a new Ras Pi for the truck and part of that is the Iridium goop. Been sending Iridium based SMS messages and receiving replies from the basement! So my stuff is working! Now to get it all mounted in the truck permanently... Need to find a new power supply for the more power hungry pi.

Never a dull moment in this hobby, always something to do. Best of luck on your install, definitely post some pictures!!!

Reactions: Ubiety

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This sounds very interesting. If you like and have the time, please tell a little more about it. Thank you!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Motomikeca this is the current radio/pi install. Radio (Kenwood TM-D700) is underneath the back seat on the driver's side. The little black box (middle left of the mess) is a Pi 3 which will be replaced with the new Pi 4. The pi is connected to a puck GPS and runs gpsd to feed GPS data (NMEA) to the TM-D700 for APRS. It also runs the client side Iridium software to talk to the Iridium modem, etc. I need to build in a little shelf to hold the Iridium modem, power supply, pi, cables, etc. It's all in disarray now as the pi replacement project is ongoing. The faceplate is mounted on a Ram track mount system on the dash.

CD3492EA-342E-46C5-BD43-16718C696C4F_1_105_c.jpeg49C9D485-B310-4A49-B0AC-05F8B206F7C3_1_105_c.jpeg

@El-Dracho take a look at this thread and let me know what questions that you have. It's all working but, honestly, if I did it again I would go with something like an InReach as this is a bit of a Frankenstein. I used to work in satcom and received the modem/antenna for free and needed a fun side project at the time. I called it "goop" for a reason ;)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Iridium modem/antenna sitting on a certified professional "stack of pillows on the couch mount"(TM) :)
It connects to the pi via USB and my client software talks to it.

1EFAED00-2A5E-4169-AE69-976363BD2B62_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@El-Dracho take a look at this thread and let me know what questions that you have. It's all working but, honestly, if I did it again I would go with something like an InReach as this is a bit of a Frankenstein. I used to work in satcom and received the modem/antenna for free and needed a fun side project at the time. I called it "goop" for a reason ;)
Thanks, will take a look!