Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Anyone that had cooked on the cheap bottle top burners has probably watched in horror as the meal starts to lean...but it is hard to argue against the nice, uniform flame they put out.

So here was today's after work project.

Started with a square of heavy expanded metal that I cleaned up and sprayed a layer of cold galvanize (not impressed so far). Got my trusty bolt cutter and made an opening that was wide enough for the burner to drop into but be supported. Another layer of cold galv.

Then two stainless steel quick links and a few feet of chain, and it was done.

Oh, and then I got the big tank and adapter hose.

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

So the lowest price they would go was $300, so I had to pass on it but came across this randomly at Bass Pro Shops.
In the description it says it will run for 7 hours at 350° off a 1lb propane cylinder.

OB 1643

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

Reactions: Captain Josh

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

My mom got a Coleman version that we tried out in a camping trip to lake Calaveras. It worked ok but the oven didn't really get hot enough for biscuits and the red on silver labels were difficult to see under lamp light. Conditions were low 50s, rainy, still but occasional breeze.

I'm still in the Dutch oven camp for baking away from home...and sometimes at home as well.

DaveD

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California. USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6GMX
My mom got a Coleman version that we tried out in a camping trip to lake Calaveras. It worked ok but the oven didn't really get hot enough for biscuits and the red on silver labels were difficult to see under lamp light. Conditions were low 50s, rainy, still but occasional breeze.

I'm still in the Dutch oven camp for baking away from home...and sometimes at home as well.
That's nice to know.
Does anyone have any input on the Camp Chef stove/oven combo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using OB Talk mobile app

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

So the lowest price they would go was $300, so I had to pass on it but came across this randomly at Bass Pro Shops.
In the description it says it will run for 7 hours at 350° off a 1lb propane cylinder.
OB 1643
that sounds more efficient more most propane heaters!