Flooding in Western NC 5/18

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

If you are planning a trip to the Mortimor area in Western NC be advised that many of the fire roads and NC 90 are damaged, closed, or nearly impassable due to heavy rain and flood damage. The NF campground is closed until after Memorial day. If you camp in the area be aware the creeks are full and will rise fast if rains fall (8 feet rise mention today). This area is renowned for it's fast flooding. Sorry for the bad news. Contact the Pisgsh NF headquarters for details.

Sent from my E6810 using OB Talk mobile app

4WLO

Rank 0

Traveler I

Haven't hit any trails but I'm up here this weekend to repair flood damage at the in-laws place. Creek bed is about 1-2ft deeper, driveways rutted out, and there is a huge sink hole in the front yard (where water bypassed the culvert underground).
Can't imagine what some of the trails look like. Stay safe if you go out ridin.

Reactions: Big E

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

staying out of the area so folks can clean up and repair, no sense adding more to the mess. Good luck with the cleanup.

Lost Texan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winterville, NC
Member #

How is the recovery coming in this area? I am planning a trip out that direction later this month but saw this thread and now I'm wondering if I should hold off.

4WLO

Rank 0

Traveler I

I haven't heard of any further damage. Don't know how clear FS roads are or NC90. Still have some clean up to do at the in-laws and their neighbors were still rebuilding their driveway.

I'm headed up there next week. I'll take a look around and let you know. Not like I wasn't going out for a ride anyway, lol.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Ran about 30% of the FS roads around Wilson’s Creek and Linville Gorge. Mostly in decent shape. Make sure you’ve got gloves, an axe, and saw with you. Also, check to make sure your winch doesn’t need servicing.