Flint Hills Trail - Kansas

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

caswanson

Rank V

Advocate II

Flint Hills
KIMG0422.jpg KIMG0427.jpg KIMG0428.jpg KIMG0425.jpg

Mapped this out with OB member "BikeHauler". I've lived at both the north and south end of Kansas' Flint Hills and have spent a lot of time traversing in between. The north end starts at the KDOT station off of I70 at HWY 99. Then heads south through the Flint hills. The KDOT station is a safe place to meet up or leave vehicles. If you need gas at the start, head into Alma. There is a gas station at the south end of town. The only gas on the trail is in Strong City/Cottonwood Falls and Cedar Vale. The trail ends at Hewins Park in Cedar Vale. Camping is free.

The route is mostly well maintained gravel roads with long stretches of minimum maintenance and worn out dirt. There are several water crossings throughout and any rainfall may make some portions impassable. Otherwise, nearly any stock vehicle shouldn't have much trouble getting all the way through.

Attachments

augie09

Rank 0

Traveler II

Nice. We travel from Kansas City to Colorado often and are always looking for things to do to break up the trip. Will have to try to this.

Brewddha

Rank 0

Contributor I

View attachment 54000 View attachment 54001 View attachment 54002 View attachment 54003

Mapped this out with OB member "BikeHauler". I've lived at both the north and south end of Kansas' Flint Hills and have spent a lot of time traversing in between. The north end starts at the KDOT station off of I70 at HWY 99. Then heads south through the Flint hills. The KDOT station is a safe place to meet up or leave vehicles. If you need gas at the start, head into Alma. There is a gas station at the south end of town. The only gas on the trail is in Strong City/Cottonwood Falls and Cedar Vale. The trail ends at Hewins Park in Cedar Vale. Camping is free.

The route is mostly well maintained gravel roads with long stretches of minimum maintenance and worn out dirt. There are several water crossings throughout and any rainfall may make some portions impassable. Otherwise, nearly any stock vehicle shouldn't have much trouble getting all the way through.
Thanks for sharing this. New to the forum and to overlanding, but something that Mrs Brewddha and I are keen to get involved in. This is in fact my first post on the forum. We are in the KC area and are looking for some overlanding routes with some hiking options within a day's drive for some day trips to get started. All of our vacations revolve around hiking, but looking for more to do in between.

We're going to run this one this weekend, or part of it anyway (not the whole route). We will run basically between I-70 and Strong City. Appreciate the work to map it and sharing it for others to discover!

Craig

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Ecoboosted

Rank 0

Traveler II

Kansas
Nice, we have been looking for a quick weekend getaway from the Wichita area. Did you recall or mark any potential camping spots?

-Chris

Rank 0

Contributor I

Earth
First Name
G
Last Name
S
This is great, approximately how much time does the route take? This seems like a good first trip that's not too far from me.