VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys I'm planning a trip for January to the Georgia Traverse after my build is some what complete. This will be my first technically " overlanding trip" I've been camping my whole life but always to set destinations and pretty much just hanging around a base camp. I'm looking for some info on the Georgia Traverse I'll be coming from south FL. I see most people do the trip from east to west. Is it worth doing the whole trail or is there sections I should skip? I just downloaded Gaia gps and getting used to using it. How long does it take if you complete the whole trail? Any info on the traverse would be a great help camping, gas, things to see. Thanks guys

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Check out GAOverland.com. There is a ton of information on the traverse and gpx. files for what route to take.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
I’ll have to check it out. Does any know if there would be any problems with a full sized rig going through there I have Silverado 1500

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

When I did one small section a couple months back, yes a full size would have had issues in a wash out that was on Tray mountain. But I'm sure that situation has changed already on the trail. Definitely go to http://www.georgiaoverland.com/trail-conditions/the-georgia-traverse-status-community-reported-conditions#comments
People are very active on that thread and like quadabaum said, tons of info. Best to move your questions to that site. I live part time up near where parts of the traverse are, so feel free to keep me as a contact. If you run into any issues I can be out to help in some way!

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

You're fine in a full size, its all forest roads. Graded gravel roads for the most part.
Run it either East to west, or west to east. Skip everything west of Eton, GA.
Spend more time exploring side roads on the eastern portions.

Double check all of the road closures before you go.

Be prepared for some cold mountain tops, we had ice forming on our tent when we went Feb 1st of last year.

We did the whole thing in 3 days, stopping every now and then.

We have done just the eastern portion from Helen, to Clayton in 3 days, stopping more often. It just depends on what pace you want to go at.

As to Gas, you will never be farther than 100 miles from a station, generally.

As to Camping, just double check the NF Website for closures, camping areas closed off during hunting, things like that.
There are plenty of established sites you can stop off at.
Plenty of caves, small stores (wander north Georgia), and little side shows to stop off at.

FYI, as far as I recall Tray Mountain/Chimney mountain (where you see most of the "offroad" photos from) are still closed due to erosion and trail damage. No ETA on when they will re-open, but plan to route around these (easy).

Ill be around the Big Frog Loop area this weekend camping, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Back in the early iterations of the traverse, I did most of the intent of it in my 2wd Ranger (and sections before in my 2wd Escape) - not Tray mountain, admittedly, and not all in one trip - probably four or five trips all told. I used the old pdf versions and mapped it with google earth, printed the maps. Yeah - old school, but I don't like using hands-on technology while driving (had rather have a big map in the way of my vision of the FS road, I guess).

I intentionally wandered off the track in several spots - spent my first night at Three Forks off Warwoman Road, for example, since it's one of my favorite places on earth, and drove up into the Chattahoochee WMA just north of Helen one afternoon to do some trout fishing. That's where I almost got stuck w/o 4wd.

I hammock camp, carry a small tent with the theory that sometimes I can't hang (but never have had to use it), so am traveling pretty lightly. I never had an issue finding a campsite, though I did get off the track to sleep at a favorite hangout from when I lived in Athens and wandered north GA pretty much every weekend.

Anyway, my main advice is to check the current (as of the day you're going) road closures by the state DNR or National Forest, as a LOT of the unpaved sections go (went?) through Wildlife Management Areas, so may be closed for a two or three day or week long hunt unless you are drawn for that hunt. Later in January is less likely to have that issue, as it will be post-deer season. Some of the public campgrounds are closed in the winter as well.

You are supposed to have a WMA permit (or Georgia Lands Pass) to be in a good many of the WMAs, which is not cheap for non-residents, but is good for a year, at least. The list of WMAs that require the pass (or a hunting/fishing license) is on the Georgia Wildlife site (not allowed to post links yet)- looks like the Chattahoochee National Forest lands are exempt, but if you go into some of the others for a free overnight spot, you might need one.

Wear your long johns unless it's a freakishly warm winter :)

Jmow349

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland TN
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Mowery
Member #

Are any of the roads closed right now? I’m doing the trip Sunday the 7th through Wednesday the 10th next week. Any help would be appreciated since it’ll be my first trip. And the wife and kids are going so it’ll be stressful enough without road closures and alternate routes.

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

Are any of the roads closed right now? I’m doing the trip Sunday the 7th through Wednesday the 10th next week. Any help would be appreciated since it’ll be my first trip. And the wife and kids are going so it’ll be stressful enough without road closures and alternate routes.
Several, Check their site. https://www.fs.usda.gov/conf
Tray Mnt/Chimney is closed, probably for good/a while.

Here is a link to the MVUM that have the seasonal closures listed.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/conf/maps-pubs/?cid=fsm9_029112&width=full

Reactions: Stickbow

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Still planning my trip but ended up trading in the full size Silverado for a new Colorado ZR2. The size difference is a lot different than I thought the zr2 should be able to fit down most trails and with front and rear lockers not concerned about the trails.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Hey guys I'm in Orlando, FL was hoping to do the east to west traverse mid march. This would be our first time doing so. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Jfletchy7

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

Hey guys I'm in Orlando, FL was hoping to do the east to west traverse mid march. This would be our first time doing so. Any thoughts?
Some trails may still be seasonally closed.
Check their website as some roads (Dicks Creek, Chimney to Tray Mnt Road) are closed and may be closed indefinitely.

Good time to go, usually nice weather.

Checkout the swinging bridge, its neat.

You're coming right about the time Trout stocking starts, if you have an interested in that.

The Eastern Side of Big Frog loop has better camping areas (IMO) than the western side.

Since you are coming from the south, lookup the Georgia Adventure Trail, It might be nice to hit that halfway up, then come in to the GT from Dillard.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
About how many day would it take to do the east to west? We have thought to leave Thursday 3/21 at night to be at the traverse Friday round sun up and drive back down on Sunday end of day. I've been looking at the map on GA overland but Im not really sure if the entire route is doable in the time were thinking or roughly where it would put us to camp each day. Were definitely going to do at least what we can cover in the days we plan on going up.

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
We had A group of six rigs at the most crowded point and finished in 3 days, 4 nights, West-East. If you wake up early and drive w/the intention to complete, it could be done in 2-3 days. stopping and exploring will eat up a lot of miles that could’ve been explored. However that’s the point, to explore. So it’s up to the group what pace you take. Either way, gonna be a blast

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

About how many day would it take to do the east to west? We have thought to leave Thursday 3/21 at night to be at the traverse Friday round sun up and drive back down on Sunday end of day. I've been looking at the map on GA overland but Im not really sure if the entire route is doable in the time were thinking or roughly where it would put us to camp each day. Were definitely going to do at least what we can cover in the days we plan on going up.
I did about half in 2.5 days and that is with stopping for some hikes, enjoying the journey and setting up camp kinda early due to the lack of sunlight (went in mid-October). Started on the west and drove east. I'll be going back to do the second half with the intention of 2.5 days again. Enjoy the trip. No need to rush it and cram the whole thing in 3 otherwise you'll be missing out on some cool stuff and will spend three days driving and doing nothing else.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
IMG_7009.JPG IMG_7020.JPGIMG_0008.jpgIMG_7070.JPGIMG_7067.JPG

We had the most amazing time! We did about half of the traverse in roughly about the same 2.5 days. We went east to west enjoyed wheeling tray mountain and the Tallulah River Crossing. My kids and the fam had a blast! We def want to make it back to finish the other half and explore the hikes and sights same way we did this time. We recorded the whole thing on Gaia and added our own waypoints to the traverse but man is was amazing! The Jeep did great, she did break a sway bar end link that was already weak and the funny thing it wasn’t even on tray mounting it was on some stupid dirt hill getting into the swinging bridge ‍♂. But hey upgrade time anyways. The Engel fridge worked amazing. We were surprised to see bikes crossing the traverse and there were quite a few people here fishing and there since it’s trout fishing season. It was neat to talk to some guys fishing the creeks and river with bibs on waste high in water just casting away and actually getting some sweet trout! I am soo glad we did the trip. Part of us stayed on those mountains! Epic journey

Attachments

Reactions: dougie117 and Jkk