FJ Cruiser max tire size without body chop?

• HTML tutorial

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

I found out over the weekend (when I went into our local 4 x 4 shop to ask them if I could do BF Goodrich KO 2s at a LT305/65R17 size) that if I want to run tires much wider than my 285/70R17s that I will need a body chop along with a lift. Right now I'm running the 32.7" tires with no lift and no rub. From what I'm getting so far, I could find a 33" tire only doing a lift, but if I want to make it wider then a body chop comes into play. Of course rim dimensions also play a role in all of this, but for right now I'm just concerned with the tire size.

So I wanted to ask all you FJ owners out there, whats the biggest tire you have put on your rides without getting into body chops?

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

I've actually seen a video where a guy does the body chop himself with a dremel (and about 50 steel cutting wheels). I'm just trying to get as much of a clearance as I can without emptying my wallet, or messing with gas mileage too much. Lol. Maybe doing the chop myself would knock off a good chunk of cost, because its sounding like if I go much bigger I'll have to do the chop one way or another.

Last edited:

rc4wheel

Rank 0

Traveler I

rc4wheel

Rank 0

Traveler I

If possible will like to confirm the wheel size, is it the stock OEM wheel with the 2” wheel spacer mentioned plus a 3” lift. Thanks for any info, I am presently looking at a 07 Fj
Cruiser to play with