Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
hmmmm, bought this X11 17" axe a few years ago and only used it a few times, as my job didn't allow time for me to split my own wood. Now that I am retired it's time to pick up the axe, wedges and my maul and begin spitting my firewood the old fashioned way. This AM I split enough to last about a week and during the course of using the Fiskars Axe the handle broke... As I stated before,,, hmmmm.... My next purchase shall be an "old school " axe with a hickory handle.. IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2774.JPG

Reactions: Lindenwood

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That's always been my concern with those, I've almost bought them several times. I have a couple of different hatchets, and some are just "tools" very ugly, not so sharp, but reliable. I am looking for a new one to keep in the vehicles, I'd be curious if Fiskars had any input on your failure.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Cool......

I bought an axe a few weeks ago to clear some trails and such and PASSED on the Fiskars because of the price.

I bought old school.

That was, indeed, dumb luck........

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That's always been my concern with those, I've almost bought them several times. I have a couple of different hatchets, and some are just "tools" very ugly, not so sharp, but reliable. I am looking for a new one to keep in the vehicles, I'd be curious if Fiskars had any input on your failure.
I'm awaiting their response... I filed a claim, I'll call them monday and see what happens.. If they replace it,, cool,, but I'll still go out and get a wooden handled one..

Reactions: MazeVX

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I've seen quite a few not-wood axe handles fail with off balance strikes, just like a wood handle. The difference is it is easy to replace a wooden axe handle.

Reactions: Waaazooo

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've seen quite a few not-wood axe handles fail with off balance strikes, just like a wood handle. The difference is it is easy to replace a wooden axe handle.
Very true, however, those good ol' wooden handles can take quite a beating and still be good and safe to keep using.. I've contacted Fiskars and they returned with.. sit tight, a new replacement ax is on its way to your door... If this happens, and I am a skeptic, I'll be a customer of theirs for life, but still, I'm going out and getting a wooden handled ax before our next trip..

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
UPDATE :::::: :::::: I'm very impressed,,, When I filed the claim I stated that the axe was purchased some 10+ years ago, and because of my job had just recently started using it regularly.. Hey,, guess what? Fiskars sent me a brand new X11 17" axe/hatchet, no charge, no questions asked... As I stated before, I'm now a customer for life and whenever I need a gardening tool I'll be getting a Fiskars.... As far as a large splitting axe? I'm still going with an old school wooden handled one......

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Sounds like Hi-Point in the firearms world lol.... I'll take my Glock over it for reliability but I have yet to see a company beat the warranty and customer service of Hi-Point. Mine had an internal failure and jammed something so I sent them the firearm, they fixed it and I have it back in about 7 business days and they sent me back my original magazine plus a brand new one. Hi-Point is a truck gun for me...back up to the Glock, kinda like the Fiskars axe is to the good ole wooden axe.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

10 plus years old? wow. That explains it. Your new one won't split apart like that again. They changed the manufacturing process and material compound 3 years ago. I use mine for a lot of things you should never use an axe for and it is still solid, no signs of stress.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
10 plus years old? wow. That explains it. Your new one won't split apart like that again. They changed the manufacturing process and material compound 3 years ago. I use mine for a lot of things you should never use an axe for and it is still solid, no signs of stress.
that's good to know, but i did go out and get a big ass wooden axe for splitting,, the new fiskars is mounted in the cruiser.... It's a shame that chrysler didn't do the same or I'd be driving a JKU Rubicon today... but that's another story, unless "gear review" can be about vehicles as gear? later on guys and gals

Peccavi18

Rank III

Advocate I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Rogus
I am also a Fiskars guy for life, had the short loppers and the gear snapped while trying to cut an oak limb that was probably a hair to big for their size. Called Fiskars, sent 1 picture and had a new one in 2 days. I have 3 different axes and they have lasted through years of camping and home firewood/kindling use.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I use them too. Love the idea of wood handle Hults or Helko but the durability of the polymers while out on the road, plus the price point, but Feskar has served me well for years.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I use a Fiskars splitting maul to split fire wood and it’s been fantastic. I have a Swedish made Husky axe for cutting and the hickory handle has taken a beating but is holding together just fine. I’d buy both again.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I am also a Fiskars guy for life, had the short loppers and the gear snapped while trying to cut an oak limb that was probably a hair to big for their size. Called Fiskars, sent 1 picture and had a new one in 2 days. I have 3 different axes and they have lasted through years of camping and home firewood/kindling use.
I have the Fiskars long handle loppers with the gears and good to know, I've thought more than once they were going to snap but they just keep cutting, best loppers I've ever used! We get a lot of hurricanes here and I have to laugh when someone has the cheap loppers without the gears trying to cut branches when our neighborhood does cleanup and then see how much faster I can cut the same limbs and then cut limbs twice the size they can cut they usually take a picture and swear they will be buying their own! I also use them a lot for clearing shooting lanes and cleaning up food plots for hunting so they get used a lot!

Best Axe handle I've used is solid fiber glass, been splitting wood with that for a long time and still hasn't broke!

Reactions: Peccavi18

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Fiskars splitting maul, axe and hatchet for the last 6 years or so, no problems

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I have 2 different splitting axes from fiskars for about 12 years now, split an uncountable amount of wood with it. Hardwood, softwood and about everything in between dry and wet. Drove over it with a trailer and a tractor in freezing cold and not a single crack ever...

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Also a "Fiskars for life" guy here.

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Ive had a fiskars axe for 16 years and has been flawless. I did, however, pick a Collins American at a garage sale for 5 bucks. Handle was perfect-edge was mashed. Took it to a pro sharpener and he rehoned the edge and sharpened and it perfect now.