First time CB: Need opinions and direction on this set up!

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,
I am planning to get a CB as I am going into remote locations that aren't picking up any cell signal. Not to mention, it would be nice to have when I go out on group outings. However, I don't plan on using it so often, so i'd like to make it A) easy to remove and put back B) Inexpensive. That said, I am currently looking at the Cobra 19DXIV CB radio and the Midland 18-2442 Mobile CB Antenna mainly for the ability to remove the antenna with ease and cost.

Would this set up be any good?
Would it be worth investing in a firestik?
Every time I remount the magnetic antenna, would I need to reset the SWR?
What kind of ranges would I be seeing?

thanks!

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've got the handheld midland cb with the little antenna to full sized coax adapter from radio shack and a $20 scosche magnet antenna zip tied to my roof basket.

It works better than my cobra ultra III with fire sticks and whips ever did. On channel 1 my swr meter is pretty much 1 and about 1.5 at channel 40.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello all,
I am planning to get a CB as I am going into remote locations that aren't picking up any cell signal. Not to mention, it would be nice to have when I go out on group outings. However, I don't plan on using it so often, so i'd like to make it A) easy to remove and put back B) Inexpensive. That said, I am currently looking at the Cobra 19DXIV CB radio and the Midland 18-2442 Mobile CB Antenna mainly for the ability to remove the antenna with ease and cost.

Would this set up be any good?
Would it be worth investing in a firestik?
Every time I remount the magnetic antenna, would I need to reset the SWR?
What kind of ranges would I be seeing?

thanks!
*Set up would fine, not great but it will work.
*A longer firestik would likely perform slightly better if both antennas are mounted in the same location. If the mag mount was on the roof and the firestik was on the fender or lower on the body then the mag mount would likely work better. Height is everything.
*As long as you put it in the same spot every time you should be ok, but if you move it around technically you should recheck it.
*A couple of miles maybe more, maybe less. Depends on terrain and surroundings and propagation. With my Cobra 19 only running about 2.5 watts I have been able to talk about 10 miles but I am using a 108" antenna..... shorter antennas will not work as well. Talking to someone close to you on the trail or in your convoy it will work fine.

Reactions: ryanb

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

if you are limited for space or don't want to cut your dash, check out the cobra wx75. it's just a little box you can hide anywhere, so it doesn't get removed. the main part is the hand unit that easily screws in or out ion a few seconds if you dont want it in your truck. i run a 3' whip antenna and there is no way i've ever gotten 10 miles. maybe a few kilometers if the wind is blowing the right way and i'm in a big parking lot, but mounting is really clean and easy and it works good enough. never put a swr meter to it, but i might one day. good luck on your install.

Influencer II

I've got the handheld midland cb with the little antenna to full sized coax adapter from radio shack and a $20 scosche magnet antenna zip tied to my roof basket.

It works better than my cobra ultra III with fire sticks and whips ever did. On channel 1 my swr meter is pretty much 1 and about 1.5 at channel 40.
Insane! I'd imagine the firestick did better... Is it because the antenna is sitting higher than with the firestick?

Influencer II

*Set up would fine, not great but it will work.
*A longer firestik would likely perform slightly better if both antennas are mounted in the same location. If the mag mount was on the roof and the firestik was on the fender or lower on the body then the mag mount would likely work better. Height is everything.
*As long as you put it in the same spot every time you should be ok, but if you move it around technically you should recheck it.
*A couple of miles maybe more, maybe less. Depends on terrain and surroundings and propagation. With my Cobra 19 only running about 2.5 watts I have been able to talk about 10 miles but I am using a 108" antenna..... shorter antennas will not work as well. Talking to someone close to you on the trail or in your convoy it will work fine.
So my confusion is this.. Does material of the antenna really make a difference? From what i've gathered, the materials do matter and height also factored in. But materials could totally dimish the distance..

If height is everything, then a mag mount would technically be better than a firestick that sat a tad bit lower than it? I was thinking of doing a firestick mounted on the rear trunk, but it would sit a bit lower than a mag mount would.

With watts, can we adjust it, or is it something that's predetermined by the radio we get?

Influencer II

if you are limited for space or don't want to cut your dash, check out the cobra wx75. it's just a little box you can hide anywhere, so it doesn't get removed. the main part is the hand unit that easily screws in or out ion a few seconds if you dont want it in your truck. i run a 3' whip antenna and there is no way i've ever gotten 10 miles. maybe a few kilometers if the wind is blowing the right way and i'm in a big parking lot, but mounting is really clean and easy and it works good enough. never put a swr meter to it, but i might one day. good luck on your install.
My only complaints are 1) It's costly.. Won't I still need an antenna? 2) I've read that these aren't as great as a stand alone mic + box.

What kind of mount are you running on your FJ that I see in your avatar?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

To start, there is no single factor that controls everything. It all counts, height, wire length, materials, etc. That's what makes it fun. Also, SWR is short for standing wave ratio. I look at that number as an efficiency of the antenna/ cable. To me, a good comparison is like saying your vehicle gets 20 miles per gallon (mine does :p). You can't just decide to crank that up to 40 mpg. SWR is an efficiency parameter, and if the efficiency is too poor, you can damage the radio.

The other poster referenced a 108" antenna, those are my favorites but you gotta be careful, they are called whips for a reason and why some off road parks in the US don't allow them. That antenna is also known as a quarter wave antenna because it is 9 ft and the cb wavelength is around 36 ft. After you do some reading on SWR, look into communications wavelengths, 1/4 and 1/8 wave antennas vs coil antennas. Also look at the differences between bottom, middle and top load coil antennas. You will never have a perfect set up on a vehicle, but by being aware of the options, you can optimize for your application.

With the mag mount, the entire antenna is over the roof so the vehicle isn't blocking anything or reflecting any transmission power back into the antenna. When I had a 4 ft top loaded firestick and later stainless steel whip mounted to the bumper, the best swr I ever got was a 2. That was likely a combination of antenna height, multiple connection adapters and incorrect coax cable.

I went to the mag mount because I needed something cheap after an accident wrecked my bumper mount and stainless steel whip. When you piece things together you still have to spend time tuning the set up at the antenna. The magnet kit had already been tuned before packaging.

In the US, transmission output is regulated at 4 watts so the radio is almost irrelevant except for features. My little handheld has a full 4 watt transmission according to my swr/power meter. I picked the handheld because I could easily load it up with batteries and throw it in a boat or back pack.

Andrew Maas

Rank 0

Traveler I

If you have time prior to your trip, I recommend you drop aspirations of installing a CB radio and pursue HAM radio. Yes, it sucks you have to test and wait for your license but the distance you gain in case of emergencies or for general communication out weighs the suck factor. Chances are, if you are out of cell phone range then you will be out of CB range for anyone to hear you.

I have both a HAM radio and a CB but the CB is packed away behind my passenger site in the event I am out with someone who doesn't have a HAM radio. Installation of a CB and a HAM is the same in so much as the antenna goes but with HAM you should wire directly to the battery. It's not so bad once you get past the fear factor of going thought your vehicle's firewall.

Let me know if you have any questions for either.

Tom

Reactions: adam1752

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

If you have time prior to your trip, I recommend you drop aspirations of installing a CB radio and pursue HAM radio. Yes, it sucks you have to test and wait for your license but the distance you gain in case of emergencies or for general communication out weighs the suck factor. Chances are, if you are out of cell phone range then you will be out of CB range for anyone to hear you.

I have both a HAM radio and a CB but the CB is packed away behind my passenger site in the event I am out with someone who doesn't have a HAM radio. Installation of a CB and a HAM is the same in so much as the antenna goes but with HAM you should wire directly to the battery. It's not so bad once you get past the fear factor of going thought your vehicle's firewall.

Tom
So if you buy a ham radio can you just replace the unit, and all the wiring, antenna can stay put?

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

after reading all this, ive created a shopping cart. Hopefully you can read it but I was wondering if anyone can give me a "go-no go" on these parts. Im planning on mounting the antenna in the opposite ditch that my regular antenna sits. Ill need to do a little trimming of the cover that sits there but thats isn't a big issue since it wont be much material. Im keeping the antenna short because I regularly drive in to SF and cant have the height. My main use will be for communicating with people on the trail in my group.Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 8.56.03 AM.png

Influencer II

Tom
Honestly, I just went CB. I know HAM is what I need, but so far, the CB has been extremely useful, especially in group outings. That said, I do plan to get HAM radio as soon.... that is, if I have enough time to go out solo.

Influencer II

after reading all this, ive created a shopping cart. Hopefully you can read it but I was wondering if anyone can give me a "go-no go" on these parts. Im planning on mounting the antenna in the opposite ditch that my regular antenna sits. Ill need to do a little trimming of the cover that sits there but thats isn't a big issue since it wont be much material. Im keeping the antenna short because I regularly drive in to SF and cant have the height. My main use will be for communicating with people on the trail in my group.View attachment 34728
Your list looks good. It kind of looks similar to what I was going to order, but I stuck with a magnetic antenna for ease of removal and all..

That said, I recommend you get an "add-a-fuse" instead of doing the cigarette lighter, as it'll look more discrete.. Also, you aren't loosing 1 port just for the radio.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Your list looks good. It kind of looks similar to what I was going to order, but I stuck with a magnetic antenna for ease of removal and all..

That said, I recommend you get an "add-a-fuse" instead of doing the cigarette lighter, as it'll look more discrete.. Also, you aren't losing 1 port just for the radio.
I agree. Buy some SAE plugs if you want to remove the radio. A direct connection to your battery is even better as with any radio but finding an always hot fuse if you want the radio to work with your ignition off works as well.

As mentioned Ham is the long term way to go it you looking to use a radio as a safety device. Did a trip this past weekend. We were in and out of a canyon. Head of the group was less than a mile from the tail. Couldn’t here him on CB. Ham no issue.

I personally am a fan of a mag mount roof setup. The larger Wilson antennas work well. Hiding an antenna on your back bumper looks nice but will kill your forward range.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

805Z71, you need an antenna stud. Other than that your list is fine. That's a lot of coax to have strung around, you probably won't need 2/3 of it but it's cheap and works ok.

Also if you power the radio via the lighter/power port you may (or may not) get some ignition noise on the radio. This can possibly be solved by powering the radio directly from the battery, ferrite beads on power wires and/or coax, or by installing an inline filter.

Reactions: FortyTwo

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

That said, I recommend you get an "add-a-fuse" instead of doing the cigarette lighter, as it'll look more discrete.. Also, you aren't loosing 1 port just for the radio.
I forgot about those! ya that a good idea.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

805Z71, you need an antenna stud. Other than that your list is fine. That's a lot of coax to have strung around, you probably won't need 2/3 of it but it's cheap and works ok.

Also if you power the radio via the lighter/power port you may (or may not) get some ignition noise on the radio. This can possibly be solved by powering the radio directly from the battery, ferrite beads on power wires and/or coax, or by installing an inline filter.
does length fo caox mess with the distance? maybe dont coil the extra up? I think id also like to go straight from the battery but i want to instal a second battery first. I already have my offroad lights attached. any thoughts on the "add a fuse" system? would I get feedback?

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

does length fo caox mess with the distance?
It shouldn't if the antenna is set up properly.

I think id also like to go straight from the battery but i want to instal a second battery first. I already have my offroad lights attached. any thoughts on the "add a fuse" system? would I get feedback?
Hard to say for sure. The more accessories you add to the "add a fuse" system, the more wire you have strung around the vehicle, the more likely you are to pick up RFI and introduce it to the wiring for the radio.