thebenmobile

Rank I

Contributor III

Prosper, Denton County, Texas, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Helm
Hi my name is Ben. I’m brand new here. I’m in the process of getting my first truck. I’m deciding between a Toyota Tacoma Off Road and a Ford Ranger XLT Tremor but I’m leaning more toward the Tacoma. I love camping under dark skies as I have an obsession of astronomy and astrophotography. I don’t have much experience off roading in trucks besides a Polaris ranger and four wheelers but I’m really interested to try. I have used OnX Hunt for hunting before but I just found out they have an Off Road app as well. How does that compare to the one provided through this app?

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Hi my name is Ben. I’m brand new here. I’m in the process of getting my first truck. I’m deciding between a Toyota Tacoma Off Road and a Ford Ranger XLT Tremor but I’m leaning more toward the Tacoma. I love camping under dark skies as I have an obsession of astronomy and astrophotography. I don’t have much experience off roading in trucks besides a Polaris ranger and four wheelers but I’m really interested to try. I have used OnX Hunt for hunting before but I just found out they have an Off Road app as well. How does that compare to the one provided through this app?
Hi Ben. I have OnX Hunt, OB1, and Gaia GPS. I did not subscribe to OnX Offroad. Gotta draw the monetary line somewhere. I'll use OnX to find public land and give me property lines and use OB1 and Gaia for mapping and planning. I'll use either OnX or Gaia to track my route. Hope this helps.

thebenmobile

Rank I

Contributor III

Prosper, Denton County, Texas, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Helm
Hi Ben. I have OnX Hunt, OB1, and Gaia GPS. I did not subscribe to OnX Offroad. Gotta draw the monetary line somewhere. I'll use OnX to find public land and give me property lines and use OB1 and Gaia for mapping and planning. I'll use either OnX or Gaia to track my route. Hope this helps.
Can you track on OnX without paying?

rhdthing

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Dirks
Answering the truck question, either truck is more than capable however in my opinion I believe the Tacoma will be an easier build due to aftermarket support. Having a F150 myself, I was sure that the after market would be plentiful but if I knew half of what I do now I might of looked at a tundra instead. However I love my f150 and would rather have a challenge for this build.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The Tacoma's drivetrain is grossly outdated. Everyone I know with them hates the lack of power, the trans always hunting gears, and the terrible MPG. I would pick the Ranger just for the 2.0T/10A.

-TJ

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Sorry, I totally disagree! 2018 TRD OF, DC, 35K, several 2K trips 23, 24mpg! Trip Log to back it up. My Tacoma is a Mtn, and long road Bigot! Have proof, will stand by this post…. DCG

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Sorry, I totally disagree! 2018 TRD OF, DC, 35K, several 2K trips 23, 24mpg! Trip Log to back it up. My Tacoma is a Mtn, and long road Bigot! Have proof, will stand by this post…. DCG
Your Tacoma is a bigot, I'm not sure I understand. That said, I guess you got the *only* 'taco to ever get 24 MPG.

-TJ

Reactions: archer75 and MSD