First Drive out west (MOAB etc) Suggestions to keep me married | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

First Drive out west (MOAB etc) Suggestions to keep me married

Discussion in 'Overland Trip Planning' started by Stepsride, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:03 AM.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Stepsride

Stepsride Rank II

Member #:

Map
    Just like the title says. The first two weeks of JUNE 2019 my family and I (2 girls 17 and 15 and my wife) are driving out to first Colorado and then to Moab. We are driving from Palm Harbor FL and wanted to get some input on, well, everything. The big things the little things and everything that you did that you would not do again. Please include the things you enjoyed or things you wished you did as well.

I am starting with a clean sheet of paper. I am starting to plan for about 5 days with a base camp in the Moab area. That is the thinking now until you tell me different. My goal is to get in a good trip to see some incredible sites and to get into some fairly challenging trials. Remember I need to stay married!! I am not going to see it all but what are the places or trails that I should not miss the first time out there.

I drive a 13 JKU with 3.5 inches of suspension lift and some Maxxis Razr MT 35 inch tires, fully skidded,etc. Not a hardcore rock crawler but it can hold its own in a lot of terrain. I am a seasoned wheeler with many vehicles built and sold. However I have never wheeled out west. I wheeled the wet slick and tight forests of the east coast.

Please feel free to post here, email me, IM me etc.... with your thoughts. I really appreciate any and all help!
    Thank you!
    STEP

Heart of Dixie and SandmanTRD like this.
  2. Graeman

Graeman Rank III

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KJ7CRJ
    Map
    1. cell phone coverage will be your first priority with your age group.
    2. stop to smell the roses, do a side trip for them. Ask them what they would like to see.
    3. what is your route? If we knew your route we can tell you the historical and natural sites.
    4. Don't be pressed for time, stay flexible.

Stepsride, BCJohn and SandmanTRD like this.
  3. Square Foot

Square Foot Rank I

Member #:

Map
    It will be a great trip with beautiful scenery. Some suggestions based on things I've done with my daughter in the area:
    Spend the day in Glenwood Springs CO - Raft the Colorado River, have dinner at the Glenwood Canyon Brewpub and spend evening at the Hot Springs Pool.
    In Moab - Do Baby Lions Back first then Fins n Things trail. That will give you an idea if everyone enjoys Moab wheelin. Tons more trails to do if so.
    Check out Arches National Park, just a few miles out of Moab.
    Check out Canyonlands National Park, drive some of the White Rim Trail (down to Musselman Arch and back)

If your daughter's are like my girls, check out instagram for the epic shots in the area, and let your girls get some photos at those locations to show their friends.

Heart of Dixie, Stepsride and Graeman like this.
  4. The other Sean

The other Sean Rank IV

Member #:

Map

#2 and #4 for sure.

Graeman and Stepsride like this.
  5. JDGreens

JDGreens Rank III

Member #:

Map
    It is going to be a very long trip to Moab from Florida. I think it would bid you well to stop in the Ouray. If you want you can Camp off the Cork screw trail which is very close to Ouray Co.. A day there doing the touristy thing and also hit the Hot Springs pool. It is one of the nicest public pool around now that they renovated it. You could do Yankee boy basin but I think the wife and girls would enjoy a break from the long drive out there. Box Canyon falls is a nice hike/climb too.

Heart of Dixie and Stepsride like this.
  6. JDGreens

JDGreens Rank III

Member #:

Map
    I guess after mapping it, it would be only an hour difference in time to just to go straight to Moab. But when I go to Moab again I am going through Ouray on the way. Just because it is my favorite little town. And it would break-up my drive in half.

Stepsride likes this.
  7. Stepsride

Stepsride Rank II

Member #:

Map
    I have to work this in. Thanks for that suggestion!!

Graeman likes this.
  8. Stepsride

Stepsride Rank II

Member #:

Map
    That is on my list of towns to hit. Also I think Imogene Pass and Big Bear is pretty near by. I think. After this thread goes on for a bit I will sit and start mapping. Thank you!!

9. JDGreens

JDGreens Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Did you mean Black Bear pass? It is a fun trail but if your wife and kids get scared with the shear drop offs of many of these trails in the Ouray area I would avoid that one. It is very easy but unforgiving if you make a mistake can be deadly. Imogene is not near as risky, but is a lot harder trail to run. Cinnamon Pass has a lot to offer with the Annimos Forks ghost town.

I hope to return to Moab some time soon to actually get to wheel the area. She would stay home for that one.
    A good place to eat in Moab is Zax. Make sure that someone gets a salad bar so that you can get a bowl of beer cheese soup do dip your pizza crust in. Hope you all have a great trip!

Graeman likes this.
  10. Heart of Dixie

Member #:

Map
    We are planning the same trip from Alabama about a month after. First we plan on staying in Ouray Co and do Imogene pass, and a few more trails there. Take a day and visit hot springs pool etc. We plan on staying there a week, then leave for Moab. I know in Moab it'll be Hot in July but I really want to do Top of the World Trail, and I think its called Long Canyon trail and maybe a few more. We plan on staying there 3 days or so then heading back. This will be our first trip out West as well. Plus I'll have 5 kids in a big Suburban. They're excited about it ,but the wife is not sure. I on the other hand know the Mountains are calling and I must go. Please let me know how your trip goes. I was also told to not make a lot of stops along the way while traveling out there and just go ahead and get ou there to Colorado & Moab then enjoy yourself. Hopefully we'll all still be married and our families will have memories they'll remember from now on.

Stepsride likes this.
  11. Owasco

Owasco Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I have taken two trips from upstate NY to the west coast and back, with my wife and two sons. I would say make the trip enjoyable for everyone. Both trips I had my wife and two kids each pick one thing they wanted to see or do on the route we took and made sure to include those things. That made them excited for the trip for their own reasons, and not just tagging along so that dad could hit some offroad trails.

Heart of Dixie likes this.
  12. Boort

Boort Rank V

Member #:

Map
    @Stepsride
    Be aware depending on the winter we get here many of the trails around Ouray may NOT be open until LATE June. Be sure to call Norwood Ranger District (970-327-4261) for status of the trails you want to run before you leave. Hopefully they will be staffed in June.

Boort

13. Stepsride

Stepsride Rank II

Member #:

Map
    I appreciate you sharing your itinerary. Thank you for that. My younger brother lives outside Birmingham and he also has a suburban. I am using you to try to talk him into this trip!

Heart of Dixie likes this.
  14. Stepsride

Stepsride Rank II

Member #:

Map
    Thanks for the correction. Black Bear Pass. I think you are right on with that comment. It is on the list of to do's but maybe Imogene Pass and Annimos Forks ghost town is more family friendly.

JDGreens likes this.
  15. Heart of Dixie

Member #:

Map
    Cool!

16. mep1811

mep1811 Rank I

Map
    Don't forget Deadhorse Point State Park

Stepsride and Heart of Dixie like this.