Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

So you probably guessed that if someone starts asking about First Aid kits something bad has happened. You guessed right. I slashed (4 inches) the outside part of my leg about 9 inches above your ankle on a ride. It was a nice one. I had to butterfly the cut shut with some tape and had to rap the gauze with a rag because I had NO TAPE left. So it is about time to get serious about having a place to put supplies. Any recommendations on some containers or packs that you use to keep your First Aid stuff in? This is also going to help on the Colorado Utah trip as well

Thanks
STEP

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

There is some great discussions regarding first aid kits here

El Solis has made a couple of videos where he shows exactly whites in his first aid kits and the bags/cases he uses and why he chose them

Reactions: Stepsride

Pranqster

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Luis Obispo, CA
Member #

Anything from tool bags to ammo cans work. I find that hard cases work best to preserve gear, but soft pouches like military IFAKs stow away easier. If you really wanna be fancy ($$$$) pelican cases are the business. Waterproof too!

cougargnw

Rank III

Advocate I

Field triage is all about stopping the blood flow first and stabilizing the patient. Lots of gauze, any kind of blood clotting agent, and maybe even a staple gun is a great addition to gear. Outside of that, wound pads, tape, betadine, bandaids should all be there

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Anything from tool bags to ammo cans work. I find that hard cases work best to preserve gear, but soft pouches like military IFAKs stow away easier. If you really wanna be fancy ($$$$) pelican cases are the business. Waterproof too!
Perfect that was where I was going with this post. I want to make sure it is quickly accessible but also plentiful with the need to haves like gauze, tape Dermabond, and antiseptics. I think the tool pouch and ammo can combo might work perfectly. I was looking at the MTM boxes instead of the Pelican cases and they look pretty solid as well. I use 2 MTM cases for recovery gear now and I like them.

Reactions: Desert Runner

cougargnw

Rank III

Advocate I

So you probably guessed that if someone starts asking about First Aid kits something bad has happened. You guessed right. I slashed (4 inches) the outside part of my leg about 9 inches above your ankle on a ride. It was a nice one. I had to butterfly the cut shut with some tape and had to rap the gauze with a rag because I had NO TAPE left. So it is about time to get serious about having a place to put supplies. Any recommendations on some containers or packs that you use to keep your First Aid stuff in? This is also going to help on the Colorado Utah trip as well

Thanks
STEP
Oh, shoot. Sorry. I totally missed what your question really was.
Soft side bags tend to just be a big hole for things to fall into unless it has lots of pockets. How about a large tackle box. That way everything has a spot and it’s easy to access vs digging in a bag

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Oh, shoot. Sorry. I totally missed what your question really was.
Soft side bags tend to just be a big hole for things to fall into unless it has lots of pockets. How about a large tackle box. That way everything has a spot and it’s easy to access vs digging in a bag
Yep, tackle box. Lure compartments are perfect for bandaids, tubes of ointment, etc. Organization is key and a tackle box has it all sorted out and sure beats digging thru a bag when youre trying to hurry. Plus they are durable and relatively cheap.
I was a diver offshore and we'd get dinged up every now and then and most of the time we just used duct tape and paper towel. Even now many years later, I get sliced open out in my shop I still use duct tape and paper towel. So once again duct tape should be in every tool box AND 1st aid kit.

Last edited:

John Hapla Philip

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

We have a hard case that holds our less needed items or the stuff that is a "Stop and deal with it now!" The hard case is still easy to get to but we would have to stop to get it. The booboo bag is a soft pack that is in arms reach and easily grabbed by anyone even while driving.

To date we have only needed to pull out the hard case maybe 4 or 5 times but when we did it was great to have. I don't think we have ever needed the hard case unless someone did something silly while stopped anyways. I had a wrench slip while fixing the jeep on a trip and it cut me good over the eye once.. I should have just put on the work glasses I had on my head instead of trying to be quick.

Anyways...
The hard case is actually a boat safety kit I found for about $15 and my wife filled it with what she needs. She's in Healthcare and my nurse. ;)
The soft one is a store bought we just added a few things and update when stuff expires.