Launch Member

Contributor I

Friendswood, TX, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Harris
Member #

My kids and I have enjoyed making our own fire starters.

Need the following:

3 tsp/5 ml wax (recommend one with a high melting point)
2oz/30 ml paper medicine cup
2oz/30 ml of pine shavings
Heat gun/blow dryer

Put a third of the wax in fist; followed by a third of the pine shavings. Repeat this twice until the cup is full. Once all cups are ready warm up the heat gun and melt the wax on the low speed (heat around 300F/150C). Set aside and let the wax harden before storing.

We found one works perfect and if the wood is wet we used three.

Links below:

Akosoy Natural Soy Wax, 3-Pound )

Solo 2.0 oz Treated Paper Souffle Portion Cups for Measuring, Medicine, Samples, Jello Shots (Pack of 250)
Living World Pine Shavings, 2500-Cubic Inch

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Been using dryer lint for a long time. Take some dryer lint pack it with a little Vaseline, put a bunch in an Altoids tin and call it done.

Reactions: Lindenwood

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Used dryer lint, wax, and a egg crate when I was in scouts. Started a fire every time. I recently learned about using hand sanitizer (which almost all of us have these days) as well. Doritos work surprisingly well too.

The only time I really need a Firestarter is when I'm trying to light wet wood though. Which is rare in the desert.

Reactions: Lindenwood

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Great projects for kiddos, they love melting the wax with a heat gun (supervised of course)

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
Used dryer lint, wax, and a egg crate when I was in scouts. Started a fire every time. I recently learned about using hand sanitizer (which almost all of us have these days) as well. Doritos work surprisingly well too.

The only time I really need a Firestarter is when I'm trying to light wet wood though. Which is rare in the desert.
Doritos was a surprise to me but then they are full of oil, i only use lighters with wet wood. Also use a rechargeable air bed pump as a bellows which helps get it going.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Attachments

Reactions: Scooter95