Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

So I have a small fire extinguisher for my rig and noticed other extinguishers sold as a "car extinguisher." Is there a difference between a "car extinguisher" and a home extinguisher?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Weird, I have a couple First Alert fire extinguishers, but they are only rated BC. My big 10# garage extinguisher and a small one for the MG are both ABC rated. I thought the linked post made recommendations, not just explanation.

I've read (must have been elsewhere) that an ABC general purpose fire extinguisher is good for use in a vehicle. I thought home ones were grease and electrical (BC), but yours shows A, as well. So in that case, the home and car one are probably both ABC.

Sorry for steering you to a discussion that didn't answer your question.
Steve

Reactions: Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Weird, I have a couple First Alert fire extinguishers, but they are only rated BC. My big 10# garage extinguisher and a small one for the MG are both ABC rated. I thought the linked post made recommendations, not just explanation.

I've read (must have been elsewhere) that an ABC general purpose fire extinguisher is good for use in a vehicle. I thought home ones were grease and electrical (BC), but yours shows A, as well. So in that case, the home and car one are probably both ABC.

Sorry for steering you to a discussion that didn't answer your question.
Steve
No worries. You're usually on point with links to previously discussed thread topics. [emoji109]

Pranqster

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Luis Obispo, CA
Member #

So I have a small fire extinguisher for my rig and noticed other extinguishers sold as a "car extinguisher." Is there a difference between a "car extinguisher" and a home extinguisher?
Theyre ABC rated (for use on solids, liquids and electical fires) which is important for car fires with fuel and electonics. Most house extinguishers are also ABC rated, so as long it has the ABC rating its gtg!

Reactions: Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Theyre ABC rated (for use on solids, liquids and electical fires) which is important for car fires with fuel and electonics. Most house extinguishers are also ABC rated, so as long it has the ABC rating its gtg!
Thank you for confirming this, as I really didn't want to spend more money before my trip when I have a extinguisher already. I guess the next issue I'll have with the fire extinguisher is where to mount it. Hahaha.

Reactions: Pranqster