Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

I've been doing a lot more traveling lately and always have a fire at camp. It's part of the whole experience for me and I enjoy it terribly. As summer is here and many areas are dry, does anyone use a portable fire pit? The last thing I want to do is set a forest on fire, and I do follow all the fire bans. I recently purchased a Bad Idea Pyro Cage 16" Portable Fire Pit I've used it a couple of times and it works really well. The only problem is, it is very heavy. It breaks down into 6 panels and I use a large nylon case to pack it up flat. I was curious if anyone else uses something similar. BTW it is great to cook a steak on...supper easy to clean. When done cooking just flip it over and let the remaining fire burn off the residue.

Camp Stove. 20190215_172159-COLLAGE.jpg

Reactions: MazeVX

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

I've used a metal oil drain pan. Works fine, not the most elegant for sure.

Lately been considering the "smoke free" solo-stove type pits. Bulky for sure, but they actually work and are safer imo.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
We went with a propane fire pit; the fire danger is always so high and the forests in the area have been on open-flame restrictions so often that it's just not worth it to carry a wood-fire pit anymore.

Reactions: John Smith

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

This was the view from my house Friday night, the wildfire was at 13,000 acres then, it is now over 40,000 with 6% contained. We are going all propane, I lived my whole life in the midwest and never had fire bans. Now out here, 3-6 months of the year there is a fire ban. Like you said, I don't want to be that guy.

Todd

IMG_0314.JPG

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Here is the problem....
For the first time police & fire guys are patrolling major highways in BC and issuing $587.00 fines if you flick yer cigarette butt.

butt-flick-out-car-window-01.jpeg

In May, BC had
217 new forest fire starts.
5 were lightning strikes.
5 were unknown cause.
207 were confirmed human activity starts.

Last edited:

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Here is the problem....
For the first time police & fire guys are patrolling major highways in BC and issuing $587.00 fines if you flick yer cigarette butt.

In May, BC had
217 new forest fire starts.
5 were lightning strikes.
5 were unknown cause.
207 were confirmed human activity starts.
The top direct-human-causes of wildfires in Arizona are abandoned or mismanaged campfires, "m'aidez fires," firearms, arson, smoking, dragging chains/locked brakes. We don't have a lot of big fires along roadways; most are off-highway.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Most road side fires are spotted and extinquished quickly, but if you think flicking a cigarette butt is not a problem, you are part of the problem.

39020323_1848970738473850_2037207850119331840_n.jpeg

Personally, I think ashtrays in cars should be mandatory from the factory.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

This was the view from my house Friday night, the wildfire was at 13,000 acres then, it is now over 40,000 with 6% contained. We are going all propane, I lived my whole life in the midwest and never had fire bans. Now out here, 3-6 months of the year there is a fire ban. Like you said, I don't want to be that guy.

Todd
Been watching that fire (online myself).........major suck! Dad lives Apache, sister in Mesa and is up visiting.......not because of concern for their homes, just because. Plus my daughter and I were just hiking up that way in April on Peralta up to Lone Tree.

Reactions: Billiebob