Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
If you are a HAM radio operator look into APRS.
As long as you have cell coverage the free Polaris RideCommand app can do this for you. Not so great when you are on the trails without cell coverage but great for when you are in town (with cell coverage) and the group splits up, etc.

Reactions: Coreymol

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Apple and Google have similar features already. They work really well if you have cell service.

Reactions: Coreymol

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We need to take a poll here: who has cell service where they go? Who does not? LOL it is funny, especially when we attempt to convey to our house sitter that we will be off grid, for 5-6-7 days at a time. Poor girl just doesn’t understand. Have fun guys, I’m with grubworm, we go to get away from everything.

Reactions: Coreymol and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We need to take a poll here: who has cell service where they go? Who does not? LOL it is funny, especially when we attempt to convey to our house sitter that we will be off grid, for 5-6-7 days at a time. Poor girl just doesn’t understand. Have fun guys, I’m with grubworm, we go to get away from everything.
I for one loose cell signal almost as soon as I hit the dirt (which is only 5 miles from my house). So going a week or more without cell service isn’t uncommon for us. Hence Amateur radio and APRS.

Reactions: MOAK

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I think the majority does. But this can be useful when traveling in a convoy, maybe when stopping in town for food and fuel, It can be useful to find each other.