Favorite overland or travel reads?

• HTML tutorial

Fish_into_gear

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Detroit, MI
Member #

When I'm not actually overlanding or road-tripping myself, I love to read about it; anyone have recommendations on good memoirs, books of stories, nonfiction etc about vehicle-based travel? Out-of-print is not a deterrent, old titles are just as good as new ones! Adjacent topics (fishing travel, adventure travel, canoe travel etc etc) are cool too! IMG_4373.JPG

Reactions: Dave Decker

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I'm partial to the old school type of travel books. Here are a couple of my favorites.

"First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover" by Tim Slessor.

As a side note, one of the two SI Land Rovers used to make the journey - the one named "Oxford" - was found a couple years ago and is being restored.

"Safari: a Saga of the African Blue" by Martin Johnson.

"I Married Adventure: The Lives and Adventures of Martin and Osa Johnson" by Osa Johnson.

Reactions: Fish_into_gear

Fish_into_gear

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Detroit, MI
Member #

I'm partial to the old school type of travel books. Here are a couple of my favorites.

"First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover" by Tim Slessor.

As a side note, one of the two SI Land Rovers used to make the journey - the one named "Oxford" - was found a couple years ago and is being restored.

"Safari: a Saga of the African Blue" by Martin Johnson.

"I Married Adventure: The Lives and Adventures of Martin and Osa Johnson" by Osa Johnson.
Thanks so much!!! Great titles I will check them out!

Reactions: Correus

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

I was about to start a thread like this, so I'm glad I found yours. Some of my favorite adventure travel books are:

"Yosemite" and "Our National Parks" by John Muir
"Finding the North Pole" by Cooke and Perry
"Alone" by Admiral Byrd
"We" by Charles Lindberg
"Road Songs" by Mike Harden
"The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World via it's most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes" by Gary Nichols

As a geologist and caver I can recommend a ton of books on geology and caving as well if anybody is interested.

Reactions: Fish_into_gear

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

No "Zombie Survival Guide?" I thought the whole reason for building overland rigs was borne of those subconscious apocalyptic survival fantasies?

I mean, not me, of course... but other people.