Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

You read it right. What is your favorite mod, upgrade, addition, tool, gear, overlanding car camping anything for under $50 bucks. Post pics if you have them

Mine? The UCO Candelier. The 3 candle lantern that can also serve as a 5000btu tent heater. I use cut up pop cans to cover up the sides to block the light as it slowly heats my tent. Candles last 9 hours lights up any camp table warms the tent and can keep bugs away with the citronella candle. I have pics somewhere

IMG_7822.jpg

Last edited:

KRAZPILOT

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Ruger Road, Prescott, Arizona 86301, United States
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Kunzmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RUK
My tire deflators and the guide that comes with them. I’ve blown so many newbies minds with how low their tire pressure should be Offroad and what improvement just lowering tire pressure will give you in traction and ride comfort! I even taught a class on lowering tire pressure to our Search and Rescue group. We got a car stuck in soft sand, lowered the tire pressure and drove it out...!

Attachments

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

The Builtright Seat Release for my Raptor. Small but improves the ease of dropping the seat substantially.
Looked it up. Great idea. Ive never dropped my seat in my F150. What do you keep back there? Is there room to relocate the subwoofer?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
My tire deflators and the guide that comes with them. I’ve blown so many newbies minds with how low their tire pressure should be Offroad and what improvement just lowering tire pressure will give you in traction and ride comfort! I even taught a class on lowering tire pressure to our Search and Rescue group. We got a car stuck in soft sand, lowered the tire pressure and drove it out...!
Are those guides avail anyplace? How old is it? I really like them....

Reactions: Dusther210

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Wood liner in the storage box on the front of my trailer.

This allows me to organize things so I can get at any item without having to move all the rest :-)
What storage container is that? Looks roomy....

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

A cargo net that will fit over your truck bed or large roof basket. Best piece of mind you can buy for under 50 bucks.
Drove all the way from Boston to Prince Edward Island with luggage and backpacks in the bed of my Sierra. I used a nice net and was very happy with how well everything was secured down.

Rain was a different story, but the net held well

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Drove all the way from Boston to Prince Edward Island with luggage and backpacks in the bed of my Sierra. I used a nice net and was very happy with how well everything was secured down.

Rain was a different story, but the net held well
Yup, but st least you weren't wondering g every ten minutes about any of your gear flying out!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yup, but st least you weren't wondering g every ten minutes about any of your gear flying out!
No, I was not. Not at all.

I've run the gamut...when I bought the truck it had a soft tonneau - first time I ever had one. I loked the look, and the fact it would hold in luggage and keep out (most of the ) water. But then i put in my diamond deck cross box, so i went with the net and used a tarp if it looked like rain.

At one point, there was minor complaint of damp clothes coming from the lady, so I picked up a used Leer 180 camper shell and put a rack on top of that. Now things dont get wet, they are just about as secure as you can make them, and i can get 2 kayaks on the top, side by side if that's what i want. However, in the spirit of this thread, the used Leer was around $400 and the rack as another $100, so neither falls into the "under 50" category

Reactions: LONO100

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
No, I was not. Not at all.

I've run the gamut...when I bought the truck it had a soft tonneau - first time I ever had one. I loked the look, and the fact it would hold in luggage and keep out (most of the ) water. But then i put in my diamond deck cross box, so i went with the net and used a tarp if it looked like rain.

At one point, there was minor complaint of damp clothes coming from the lady, so I picked up a used Leer 180 camper shell and put a rack on top of that. Now things dont get wet, they are just about as secure as you can make them, and i can get 2 kayaks on the top, side by side if that's what i want. However, in the spirit of this thread, the used Leer was around $400 and the rack as another $100, so neither falls into the "under 50" category
I hear you there. I loved my Leer shell on my old truck. Kept everything and my dogs completely out of the elements but it was a pain to take off when I needed it off. Like you said, for under 50 bucks, a basket or bed net is as safe as you can get. As for bed tops and keeping things dry, I am currently running a bestop super top. Not secure at all, but it will keep your pups out of the sun and rain, and allows to sleep in the bed of the truck.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Wood liner in the storage box on the front of my trailer.

This allows me to organize things so I can get at any item without having to move all the rest :-)
What storage container is that? Looks roomy....
Yes, there's a ton of room in there. It is the storage box that is a part of the trailer, on the frame in front of the cabin. The only problem is it is easy to overload it and create too much tongue weight (a constant battle that I wage).

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
A few under 50 dollar mods/upgrades:

- A good cell phone holder, a few I can think of are the weathertech and pro clip holders.

- AC power inverters can be had on Amazon for under 50 dollars

- a good set of cam-locking tie downs and a set of bungee cords

- a primo set of windshield wipers is always a nice upgrade under 50 bucks

- i always keep a lightweight ax under my backseat. A really solid ax for 50 bucks that has come in handy so many times is the Ewing that can be found at any home depot

- a hitch mounting tow hook

- mounted fire extinguisher

- stubby antenna

Some of these don't technically fall under modification or upgrade, but I think should be added to any overland vehicle.

Sebt1890

Rank II

Traveler I

Louisiana, USA
First Name
Sebastian
Last Name
T
Got a $40 air compressor that got a lot of good review on Amazon. Has been a useful little tool for airing up/down after the trail.