Favorite Driving Snack

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

While on the trail or on road trips, what kind of snacks does everyone like while behind the wheel?

Most of my road trip snacks are jerky based. Turkey jerky,Pork Jerky, Beef Jerky, Bacon Jerky, Spicy Jerky... Ill end my Gump list there.

Other than that ill have a soft pretzel or homemade snack mix.
Oh and Ludens cough drops.
I try to avoid messy things that crumble or things the drop easy.
The only bend to that rule is when passing through areas that have local snacks and brands.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I also prefer jerky when I'm on the road/trail. Shameless plug for my friend's company: Old Trapper Jerky, made in Forest Grove, Oregon is legitimately the best jerky I've ever eaten. I'm biased, but I've also explored tons of expensive "boutique" brands, and nothing beats the Trap.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I also prefer jerky when I'm on the road/trail. Shameless plug for my friend's company: Old Trapper Jerky, made in Forest Grove, Oregon is legitimately the best jerky I've ever eaten. I'm biased, but I've also explored tons of expensive "boutique" brands, and nothing beats the Trap.

I will have to check them out! Thanks for sharing!

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Good jerky. I don't think there's a single brand I have found in my grocery store that I like. I'll stock up when I find a good local place (like out in AZ). My other go-to is home made trail mix.

A bag of dark chocolate chips (they don't met as easily as milk chocolate)
Peanuts
Walnuts
Various dried fruit (mango has lots of taste)
Dried coconut every now and then

The best part is that it's waay cheaper to buy it this way and the amount you wind up with will last a lot longer. Plus, you get to pick exactly what ingredients you want too. Raisins are ok, but they're in so many pre packaged bags of trail mix that this seemed like my best solution.

Oh, the peanuts I get are usually salted, as are some other snacks (like Lay's regular potato chips) that get packed for a trip. Most of my adventures are out in the desert, or hot weather, so the salt helps me drink more water.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

cliff bars are my go to on long travels. They are not very distracting which is why I like them. If I'm resting in the passenger seat then I'll eat trail mix and messy foods lol

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I tend to go for beef sticks from a local smoke house. And sadly, the stupid hostess pies you get at the gas station...serious guilty pleasure right there. The wife definitely gets on my case when I get more than one!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Good jerky. I don't think there's a single brand I have found in my grocery store that I like. I'll stock up when I find a good local place (like out in AZ). My other go-to is home made trail mix.

A bag of dark chocolate chips (they don't met as easily as milk chocolate)
Peanuts
Walnuts
Various dried fruit (mango has lots of taste)
Dried coconut every now and then

The best part is that it's waay cheaper to buy it this way and the amount you wind up with will last a lot longer. Plus, you get to pick exactly what ingredients you want too. Raisins are ok, but they're in so many pre packaged bags of trail mix that this seemed like my best solution.

Oh, the peanuts I get are usually salted, as are some other snacks (like Lay's regular potato chips) that get packed for a trip. Most of my adventures are out in the desert, or hot weather, so the salt helps me drink more water.
I do same / similar.

Peanuts, cashews, raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and some kind of "dried fruit medley" the Co-op sells. I buy all the stuff out of the bulk bins at the co-op.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The only time I can even eat Pringles is on a road trip. At home they just don't do it for me, but in the car, they are the go to salty snack.
I second the idea of crumbly foods but do love a good crumb donut which is usually a big mess.

Black licorice is also a favorite, especially if I can find some local or Danish black licorice, at the same time salty, it's sweet and ... bonus... I usually have it to myself because no one else can stand it!

And if you ever pass through Baker, CA, be sure to stop at Alien Jerky (no affiliation), more just to say you have than anything.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

If I want protein I'll go for Clif Bars or Pro Bars. Also like Whole Foods Cape Cod Trail mix. If I want something sweet, you can't really beat a snickers in my book.

Reactions: RaggedViking