Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Saber
Member #

Hey Y'all,

Looking for some help here and would appreciate any insight and support. Every year I plan a dudes trip for my sons, I have 4 and when they turn 12 they get to join the "Dudes trip". We talk about dude stuff, like how to become a good young man then a man of their own one day. It's a blast and I'm a huge advocate for this type of things to help our boys grow up learning basics like respect, honor, integrity, love, etc. Anyway, off topic a bit but the back story helps paint the whole story why these trips are important to me.

We started small and went to Moab before I got in to Overlanding. And it was amazing! Last year we added my 12 year old and stayed local in Flagstaff but we camped in a tent. This year I wanted to take them to Yosemite because my father took me there a couple of years before he passed, I was 7. Haven't been back since so I thought it would be cool to take them there and start our own memories there. Being super new to all this I could use some help in some ideas on where to go. We would be coming from AZ on Saturday 5/25 and heading back home on Friday 5/31. I'm not against a traditional campground at all, however would love to give them something cool and stay somewhere a little more primitive but still be able to get to the park relatively easily. (I've been looking all night for campsites and all seem to be reserved at this point, my mistake for waiting too long)

I have a Jeep built out and a Turtleback trailer so living off the grid wouldn't be a problem.

Would appreciate some guidance on places to look at, routes to consider, or alternatives if there's somewhere else we should consider going!

This is my "Dudes Trip" crew!
IMG_2444.jpg

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey Y'all,

Looking for some help here and would appreciate any insight and support. Every year I plan a dudes trip for my sons, I have 4 and when they turn 12 they get to join the "Dudes trip". We talk about dude stuff, like how to become a good young man then a man of their own one day. It's a blast and I'm a huge advocate for this type of things to help our boys grow up learning basics like respect, honor, integrity, love, etc. Anyway, off topic a bit but the back story helps paint the whole story why these trips are important to me.

We started small and went to Moab before I got in to Overlanding. And it was amazing! Last year we added my 12 year old and stayed local in Flagstaff but we camped in a tent. This year I wanted to take them to Yosemite because my father took me there a couple of years before he passed, I was 7. Haven't been back since so I thought it would be cool to take them there and start our own memories there. Being super new to all this I could use some help in some ideas on where to go. We would be coming from AZ on Saturday 5/25 and heading back home on Friday 5/31. I'm not against a traditional campground at all, however would love to give them something cool and stay somewhere a little more primitive but still be able to get to the park relatively easily. (I've been looking all night for campsites and all seem to be reserved at this point, my mistake for waiting too long)

I have a Jeep built out and a Turtleback trailer so living off the grid wouldn't be a problem.

Would appreciate some guidance on places to look at, routes to consider, or alternatives if there's somewhere else we should consider going!

This is my "Dudes Trip" crew!
View attachment 92774
Great concept and sounds like it's going to be a blast...safe travels

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
What sorts of things do you want to take the boys to see? A great history run is to follow the Pony Express trail from Utah to California, especially the parts in Utah and Nevada. Lots of historical locations with outbuildings, placards with location information, and lots of wildlife. I had two male Antelope fighting over the ladies almost on the hood of my Jeep last time we were there. For sheer beauty run I-70 from I-15 toward Denver. Stop at the Colorado monument, hit Bear Mt Pass or any of the other epic trails up top and transit the Eisenhower tunnel into some of the prettiest country Colorado has to offer. Do the Tetons and Teton National park as well as Yellowstone, but cut out to Cody Wyoming and see the Buffalo Bill museum . Travel down the Columbia River through the gorge and stop at the Lewis and Clark interpretative centers. Run the sections of the Oregon Trail that are still available and finish with a trip to Trillium Lake at the base of Mount Hood. I could go on but that ought to be good for a couple of months anyway... :smirk: