Rank II

Contributor III

Tulsa, Oklahoma
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Salfrank
Member #

Has anyone used these new Falkens that were designed for crossovers? I know the new Rav4 Adventure comes with them, and I've been thinking about them for my 2020 Rav4. Do they really have decent performance for some light off road? Also, I know it's ridiculous but how do they look? Do they have an aggressive look on the vehicle? Or just look like street tires?

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

They come stock on the compass trailhawk too. They are more geared for street than any offroad. I considered getting a new set when these wear out but I don't thinknits work it for the couple of bucks I'll save over a better tire. The only nice thing is that they aren't as stiff for a light vehicle.
20210410_115708.jpg

Reactions: Project_Overlanding

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
@Project_Overlanding I never ran them but I know people who have and they all liked them. I ran a similar tire that beat the Falkens to the market by ~5 years on my Outback. The Yoko Geolandar G015 is a light AT tire that I took everywhere in every condition. Both the G015 and the AT Trail may be unassuming to look at but they’re very capable for a light vehicle. The added benefit is that they’re much lighter than the AT3W for example. You don’t pay the rotational mass penalty and the roll down the highway easier while also being better in icy conditions. If you need an aggressive AT then by all means but don’t discount these options based on looks alone.

Logoris

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Peterborough, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Bonathan
Member #

I have them on my golf they are very good. they are a bit slick in fresh snow but when it gets deep they pull you right out, had snow up to the emblem all I had to do was back up a bit and keep a little momentum and the car came right out.

they are very comfortable only notice a little noise at 130kmh

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I run both of them. Here's my 2 cents worth.

I have the AT Trail tires on my Ridgeline. They are an outstanding compromise between an AT and an all season. I will be buying another set. I put a pile of miles on them this summer including several hundred exploring gravel and dirt roads in the mountains between SC and MI. They never let me down. I never felt the tire was holding me back more than not beating the truck up was. I think the only downfall to these may be the thinner sidewalls and the chance of cutting a tire. I don't use my Ridgeline that way so I didn't consider it a problem. I have an XJ for the serious stuff.

As a comparison, I run the AT3w tires on my XJ, Samurai, and Suburban. They are also an outstanding tire and while better off-road than the AT Trail they do feel heavier on the street. This is especially true on the Samurai.

The AT Trail is a better riding tire on the street with decent off-road capabilities. The AT3w is a better off-road tire with decent on-road capabilities. On a lighter chassis, I'd run the AT Trail to lose some unsprung weight and maintain ride quality. The AT Trail also comes in more soft road friendly sizes. The Ridgeline would have required a plus size AT3w and I didn't want that.

Logoris

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Peterborough, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Bonathan
Member #

On the golf, I am running 27in, it is quite tight with the snow build up, but it handles very well and havnt been far off road with it but back roads and not maintained roads has handled very well.

Attachments

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
Has anyone used these new Falkens that were designed for crossovers? I know the new Rav4 Adventure comes with them, and I've been thinking about them for my 2020 Rav4. Do they really have decent performance for some light off road? Also, I know it's ridiculous but how do they look? Do they have an aggressive look on the vehicle? Or just look like street tires?
I'm sure you've purchased some tires by now, but thought I'd give my 2¢. I've been mostly impressed with the A/T Trails on my Santa Fe over 10k miles. They're certainly better than all-seasons in dirt and mud. Snow performance is good as long as I don't intentionally drive like a putz. No complaints at all on the road, they're reasonably quiet and well-mannered. I did lose about 2mpg, but I'm not sure if that's the design of the tires, or the fact that I went with a slightly larger size than stock.

As long as my softroading needs don't outgrow them, I'll certainly be buying again when the time comes. 20210813_144029.jpg

Reactions: Project_Overlanding

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'm sure you've purchased some tires by now, but thought I'd give my 2¢. I've been mostly impressed with the A/T Trails on my Santa Fe over 10k miles. They're certainly better than all-seasons in dirt and mud. Snow performance is good as long as I don't intentionally drive like a putz. No complaints at all on the road, they're reasonably quiet and well-mannered. I did lose about 2mpg, but I'm not sure if that's the design of the tires, or the fact that I went with a slightly larger size than stock.

As long as my softroading needs don't outgrow them, I'll certainly be buying again when the time comes. View attachment 226715
Was that dash calculated?

LewiC

Rank I

Contributor III

New Zealand
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Lewis
I have fitted these on my 2018 Ford Escape TDi Awd and found they perform better than the OEM Continentals for on-road driving. Very little difference in road noise and only slight increase in fuel use. Only driven on a couple of gravel roads and seem to handle really well. They certainly give the car a much more aggressive look than the original tyres with the outer tread blocks giving a real AT look. Certainly work looking into for cross-overs.

Wayne11B

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Sumner, Pierce County, Washington, United States
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Daniels
Member #

Service Branch
Veteran/Army
I put Hankook Dynapro AT2 tires on my wife's CX-9 . They are great tires with a 3 peak rating and not too aggressive. We took them on our 3 week national park trip last September and they were great. It's just amazing on all the options that are out there to try out.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I had those tires one of my F150s. Great tire. I had the Dynapro MT before those, and they were terrible. Loud, dry rotted in no time, zero traction on anything other than mud. Just all around junk. I got warranty on them because of the dry rot (6 months of ownership), and I replaced them with the AT2, Night and day difference.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I hear ya! ha ha. I asked because if you went to a larger size, you may still actually be getting the same milage out of a tank but the dash computer is not reading correctly.
Funny that you mention that... Been looking at my abysmal gas mileage and thinking it must be all the added farkles and larger tire size. At the same time I have been using a Tazer to adjust tire size and continually bumping the size up because my speedo continues to register a slower speed. The other day I put two and two together and had the thought that the lower than actual speedo reading is likely partly responsible for the low jeep calculated MPG. Starting to wonder if the Tazer is actually doing anything with regards to tire size...

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Dropped our son off at school today and arrived a little early so I adjusted the tire size up via the Tazer again while we waited. Passed a radar speed sign on the way home and it appears that I am just about there with the adjustments. Sneaking up on the correct size ;)